SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-31-20, 01:34 AM   #1
Submariner99
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Can't get JSGME and WAC to work on Steam installation of Silent Hunter III

I originally played SH3 when it first came out, and with no mods. Waiting for Uboat to be finished caused to me reinstall it through Steam.

The base game is working fine. But I can't get the recommended Generic Mod Enabler to function properly. I installed it in the main game folder, see picture 1, and it created a MODS folder inside the JSGME folder. I copied WAC and another mod into this folder. JSGME recognized and activated the mods, but the game didn't.

So then I created a separate MODS folder inside the main SH3 folder. When I run JSGME, same thing, it appears to work, it finds the mods, and I can activate them and they move from the left side of the panel to the right.

Then I manually open SH3.exe using run as administrator, with the game set to work for Windows 7 compatibility mode, and the game opens and runs, but without any mods. One suggestion was that the read-only file permissions might be to blame. When I change the file permissions a progress bar starts and it seems like every file in the folder is changing, but it still doesn't function, and the next time you look at the folder it is back to showing as read-only again.

So, then I used a command prompt to make sure I was logged in as admin, and I used advanced features, and security and edit to change permissions, making sure all the little boxes were checked. But the same thing happened, it reverts back to its default state the next time I look at it.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? I just want to play SH3, War Ace Campaign in a Type XXI in 1939 for "what if" purposes.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SH3_screen_1.jpg (73.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg SH3_screen_2.jpg (27.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg SH3_screen_3.jpg (35.3 KB, 10 views)
Submariner99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-20, 03:12 AM   #2
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 842

Do not install the game in Windows protected sections of Program Files and Program Files X86!!!
Old 10-31-20, 08:28 AM   #3
Submariner99
Nub

Thanks, but it is still not working. I did the following...

Luckily I am playing no other games right now or I would have said to hell with it, so I...

Uninstalled Steam. Reinstalled Steam at C:/Steam, a new folder. Yes I know some of you will say I should have installed it on D:, but C is my SSD that I got primarily just for the OS and games, and so I want my games on C.

New steam folder permission also keep defaulting BACK TO READ ONLY, however, when I change the security settings in advanced edit mode, full permission seem to remain, even though the base folder says read only. I would really like to be able to tell a folder on my EFFING computer that I DO NOT want it to be read only!

JSGME was reinstalled inside the main level of SH3, and inside it is a folder called MODS, and inside that is WAC. When I run JSGME it sees WAC, and it activates it moving it from the left side to the right. I then try to run, in Windows 7 compatibility mode, as admin, sh3.exe. It runs fine, but I see nothing but the base game.

So I close JSGME, which I had left open, and repeat, same result. Base game working fine, JSGME not loading the WAC mod!

Any other suggestions, any OTHER way to run this mod, any OTHER program which actually works?
Old 10-31-20, 10:23 AM   #4
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

There is no alternative to JSGME! There should be data and other files inside the WAC, not another WAC folder! Which in turn should be located in the MODS folder
Old 10-31-20, 10:49 AM   #5
Submariner99
Nub

I think the install is okay in regards to WAC, and where it is inside of JSMGE. Here is a screen capture of the install path, and of the mod showing it is activated.

I'm still thinking I either don't have JSMGE installed in the proper location, or it is a permissions issue which I don't seem to be able to override.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sh3_screen_4.jpg (76.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg SH3_screen_5.jpg (48.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-31-20, 03:03 PM   #6
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Of course you won't have WAC working! Move it JSGME.exe and MODS folder to the game folder. Delete the JSGME folder altogether. Run JSGME.exe and activate WAC.
Old 10-31-20, 03:42 PM   #7
Submariner99
Nub

Thank you! I thought it might be a nesting problem and it was. When I followed what you said, and moved everything up to the main folder, now everything loads fine and appears to be working.

So, in honor of you and Mr. Sean Connery, RIP,
In case anyone has the same problem, where I went wrong was I followed some online instructions to unzip the program into the main SH3 folder, however when you do this, it creates the JSGME folder, and puts everything inside it, which is one level too deep.
Old 10-31-20, 04:29 PM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Submariner99!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-20, 06:43 AM   #9
Hebe Vollmaus
Officer

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner99 View Post
[...]
In case anyone has the same problem, where I went wrong was I followed some online instructions to unzip the program into the main SH3 folder, however when you do this, it creates the JSGME folder, and puts everything inside it, which is one level too deep.
Good you have it sorted.

Well, for users new to JSGME your assumtion may be correct, but in general it is wrong. JSGME can be "installed" on whereever place can be. All what a user may have to be accept then is following its documentation.

Thread: [REL] JSGME v2.6.0 now available!
Author: JScones
Quote:
WILL THIS VERSION ALLOW ME TO USE ONE CENTRAL INSTALLATION OF JSGME?
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=156898

Greetings.

[EDIT]
The frequent "DoubleFolder"-Quirk or this simple Folder-Situation will not happen when using the Installer-Version which is called "jsgme_setup.exe".
[\EDIT]

Last edited by Hebe Vollmaus; 11-01-20 at 10:25 AM.
Hebe Vollmaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generic mod enabler, mods, sh3, type xxi, wac