SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-18-07, 02:47 PM   #61
Klaus_Doldinger
Planesman

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

@Joegrundman

Thank you!

Now the reflection has disappeared!
GWX 3.0
GWX 16 Km atmosphere
GWX no medals on crew
GWX open hatch
GWX Saint Nazaire, Schleuse and units
OLC GUI 1.2.7
Thomsen´s sound
Torpedo damage final
Rubini´s lifeboats and debris
D.i.D.
Klaus_Doldinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-07, 04:51 PM   #62
supposedtobeworking
XO

Downloads: 59

I have GWX with JCWolfs U-boat for GWX 1.3 installed. Can anyone tell me if I do the DIY install over the U-boat for GWX mods menu1024 if there will be problems? I did notice that the readme for this mod says it is for the 10x scope, but if I remember right, the u-boat mod changed this zoom to 6x I believe. If thats the case, will that be a big problem with the operation of these tools? I also think I installed some TDC slideout dials into the menu1024 before as well (it's been a while). Will that be okay or do I have to uninstall the TDC slideouts in the attack scope view for this mod to work?

thanks

p.s. another curiousity of mine is that in the readme pdf for the GWX version, it mentions that the camera.dat has been changed, yet I cannot find a new camera.dat file included in the mod I downloaded..both DIY and regular (for GWX). Did I get a bad download or am I misunderstanding something else?

Last edited by supposedtobeworking; 10-18-07 at 05:34 PM.
supposedtobeworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-07, 01:42 AM   #63
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by supposedtobeworking
I have GWX with JCWolfs U-boat for GWX 1.3 installed. Can anyone tell me if I do the DIY install over the U-boat for GWX mods menu1024 if there will be problems? I did notice that the readme for this mod says it is for the 10x scope, but if I remember right, the u-boat mod changed this zoom to 6x I believe. If thats the case, will that be a big problem with the operation of these tools? I also think I installed some TDC slideout dials into the menu1024 before as well (it's been a while). Will that be okay or do I have to uninstall the TDC slideouts in the attack scope view for this mod to work?

thanks

p.s. another curiousity of mine is that in the readme pdf for the GWX version, it mentions that the camera.dat has been changed, yet I cannot find a new camera.dat file included in the mod I downloaded..both DIY and regular (for GWX). Did I get a bad download or am I misunderstanding something else?
You should be able to do the DIY on U-boat V1.2, but U-Jagd Tools for GWX is designed to work with 10X magnification. At one point I believe Joe was planning to include an edited cameras.dat file, but decided in the end not to (I guess he must have forgotten to update the documentation - he was in a rush to release the mod before going away on a long trip).

I didn't check if there is one, but see if Joe has made a DIY for stock - if he did, I suggest you apply that to U-boat V1.2, as the only difference between the two IIRC is the scope zoom adjustment.

Hope this helps
OLC
Old 10-20-07, 01:48 PM   #64
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

WOW, I am such a thick head but after two beers, 50 tries, I finally got the GWX DIY correct. Have successfully merged Ducimus' FTT Final, Longer Repair Times, and Jagd Tools and it works!

Again fabulous work.....now I have a monstrous headache! :rotfl:

Wilcke
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-07, 04:07 PM   #65
supposedtobeworking
XO

Ok thank you ONL, if I understood you correctly, I think I will just reinstall over my GWX U-boat 1.2 the UJAGd tools DIY for stock...I thought I saw a DIY for stock...but okay will do. thanks again.

edit: just checked the first page and there does appear to be a DIY for stock, but it says right after it..."not compatible with GWX". I think you said I can go ahead and do it anyways so I'll do that...but if you get a chance and its a bad idea, please let me know.
Old 10-20-07, 04:30 PM   #66
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Ok thank you ONL, if I understood you correctly, I think I will just reinstall over my GWX U-boat 1.2 the UJAGd tools DIY for stock...I thought I saw a DIY for stock...but okay will do. thanks again.

edit: just checked the first page and there does appear to be a DIY for stock, but it says right after it..."not compatible with GWX". I think you said I can go ahead and do it anyways so I'll do that...but if you get a chance and its a bad idea, please let me know.
Yes, I think it should be fine (remember I didn't make this mod ). It's "not compatible with GWX" because GWX has a 10X scope, but you have a 6X scope so you should be OK

Good luck and let us know if it works!
Old 10-20-07, 05:44 PM   #67
supposedtobeworking
XO

Well everything seems to show up for me regarding the tools in my U-Boat GWX install..I did use the stock DIY. Now I have to figure out how to use the dang things to see if they are accurate in my install. Thanks again!

edit: Okay I am confused--reading the instructions for finding AOB, it says to measure apparent length with the diagonal markings in the attack scope lined up with the bow or stern, but it then says in a note underneath that those markings are "double" the horizontal markings since it is only measuring half the ship....yet in the example the result of '9' marks is not doubled...so should the reading from the diagonal scale be doubled or not?

Last edited by supposedtobeworking; 10-20-07 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-21-07, 02:27 AM   #68
Maraz
Navy Dude

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Well everything seems to show up for me regarding the tools in my U-Boat GWX install..I did use the stock DIY. Now I have to figure out how to use the dang things to see if they are accurate in my install. Thanks again!

edit: Okay I am confused--reading the instructions for finding AOB, it says to measure apparent length with the diagonal markings in the attack scope lined up with the bow or stern, but it then says in a note underneath that those markings are "double" the horizontal markings since it is only measuring half the ship....yet in the example the result of '9' marks is not doubled...so should the reading from the diagonal scale be doubled or not?
The marks are already doubled so you can use the reading as is, without doubling it

Maraz

First career: VIIB
U-54
Current career (Black Sea): IID U-24

GWX 2.1, U-Jagd Tools, 100% difficulty, manual targeting, DiD,

Maraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-07, 03:06 AM   #69
supposedtobeworking
XO

thank you Maraz. I am getting the hang of it. I am still tripping up on getting speed from the stopwatch which makes zero sense to me. I understand the scales (100 150 200 m etc), but I took a speed reading of a slow moving ship in the Torpedo academy mission and it gave me a reading of about 7 knots when the ship was clearly moving at 3-4 kts. or slower. It seems to me like another piece of data needs to be added into the process, like Range, or a time limit...otherwise the hand just stops randomly when the stern passes, but the reading does not seem to be accurate at all..I am sure I am missing something, but I cannot figure out what...I followed the instructions:

-scope in front of bow...start watch when bow touches vertical line. stop when stern passes through vertical line. find the scale for the ship length and see where the hand is pointing...thats it right? It seems like there needs to be another piece of data to make the reading less random...??
Old 10-21-07, 03:59 AM   #70
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
it gave me a reading of about 7 knots when the ship was clearly moving at 3-4 kts. or slower
You probably used the 150 metres scale for a ship that was exactly half that length. Dividing the resulting speed by 2 you would have the proper result (3.5 knots).

Using the chrono doesn't require anything else than start/stop and read the result. But you must pay attention that you are using the proper scale, and if the ship you measured isn't the same length as one of teh scales (F.e. small merchants are 78 metres, which doesn't match with any of the three scales 100/150/200) you must choose the scale that has the easiest division and also divide the result.

In that example: 78x2=156 metres so you use the 150 metres scale but divide the resulting speed by 2

I would have liked to put a fourth scale for small ships (75 metres), but there was simply no more space available, and the division by 2 of the 150 metres scale is easy enough for everyone.

Take a look at Joe's Youtube video,second part in the other thread, makes all very easy to understand.

Good hunting
Old 10-21-07, 05:15 AM   #71
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

I'm at an internet cafe in Haifa and just have time to answer a couple of questions.

the difference between GWX and stock is the fact that the AOB finder scale has been adjusted to account for the increased scope magnification. If you have already reduced the magnification back to x6, then yes, you need to obtain the tga.s for the stock aob finder and paste them over the relevant images in the GWX version. The particular tga is IIRC data/menu/gui/zielkurswinkelmitte.tga :hmm: Or else you can do it yourself with the stockDIy kit.

Originally there was going to be a change in cameras.dat but that was omitted in order to get the mod released early. I forgot to remove that entry from the documentation, sorry.

One last thing, the video is OLC's not mine You can find it from OLC's new GUI thread.

joe
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill

Last edited by joegrundman; 10-21-07 at 05:57 AM.
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-07, 10:53 AM   #72
supposedtobeworking
XO

Thanks Hitman for the suggestions, but the ship I was tracking had a length of about 140m or so, so I used the 150m scale and choped off a tiny bit and it still read 6-7 knts when she was going about 2-4. I'll have some more goes at this, but I am not understanding how this can work everytime esp if the ship is going really slow...then it takes a relatively long time for the ship to pass and who is to say whether the needle will land on 2knts or 18 kts...I don't understand how exactly the chrono calculates the speed, but that doesn't mean I won't keep trying to find out.

Is there any kind of time limit, i.e. what if the ship takes more than 1 minute to pass (say it takes just over a minute and a half to pass...this would suggest a slow speed to me, but the needle would be over on a higher number of the scale (say 5-10kts, when it should be about 2kts.) Wouldn't the range also affect the time/speed relationship? Is there a range limit? also what about AOB--?
Old 10-21-07, 02:47 PM   #73
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote:
Is there any kind of time limit, i.e. what if the ship takes more than 1 minute to pass (say it takes just over a minute and a half to pass...this would suggest a slow speed to me, but the needle would be over on a higher number of the scale (say 5-10kts, when it should be about 2kts.) Wouldn't the range also affect the time/speed relationship? Is there a range limit? also what about AOB--?
Ah I think I understand now

When the ship is slower than the lower limit of the scale, -3,4 and 5 knots respectively for the 100, 150 and 200 metres scales respectively- you will no longer get a correct result, as the needle in the chrono will go past the first 60 seconds into another turn, and will point wrong result in the end. If you see that the needle goes past the lower limit of the scale, disregard the result and pick any number of knots at random below that limit. For your 140 metres ship that should have been abot 2-3 knots.

Also, in the Naval Academy the ships start at zero speed, and then accelerate, so the results will never be accurate enough, as they are correct when constant speed is held.

Hope that clarifies it all
Old 10-21-07, 04:57 PM   #74
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

I also think there is something incorrect about those chronometer shiplength scales.

1 knot =1.852 km/hour ("." means decimal)

so 1 knot= 1.852 *1000(meter)/3600(seconds)= 0.5144... m/s ("..." means repeating fraction)

Thus (for the yellow scale), if 100m takes X seconds @ 3 knots you get the following equation:

100(m)/x(seconds) = 3(knots)*0.5144...m/s= 1.5433...m/s, then x=100/1.5433...=64.79 seconds (stopwatch shows about 62)

So the yellow scale is about 3 seconds short.

For the red scale: 150(m)/x(seconds)=4(knots)*0.5144...=2.0577...(m/s) ; x=150/2.0577...= 72.89seconds (stopwatch shows about 68, 5 seconds short)

For the blue scale: 200(m)/x(seconds)=5(knots)*0.5144...=2.5722...(m/s) ; x=200/2.5722...= 77.75 seconds (stopwatch shows about 74, 4 seconds short)

It may not be much (5-7%), but it is not anything like german manufacturing precision.

Another issue that needs mentioning is AOB. In the thread of the other mod that uses this Ujagd mod Onelifecrissis said the following:
Quote:
When measuring target speed with the U-Jagd chrono it doesn't matter whether the target is moving towards or away from you, and it doesn't matter what their AOB is. All that matters is that you're moving as slow as possible, preferably with the target straight (more or less) ahead of you.
This is true in principle. However a small AOB may hide the true stern behind the side of the ship's hull and makes measurements somewhat difficult to time precisely. An 90 degrees AOB view gives the best accuracy as the ship is rendered with the maximum amount of pixels wide. However you need to make due with what the situation provides. It's just something to take into consideration.

Last edited by Pisces; 10-21-07 at 05:07 PM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-07, 05:08 PM   #75
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

You are right, Pisces, but in the real chrono values were rounded up to 2000 metres per sea mile, probably to compensate something. Look for yourself:

I made it a bit more precise than the real thing, mainly because the SH3 chrono has only a 60 seconds sphere instead of 100 seconds. But still I left the tendency there, as it must somehow have a reason, probably experience told them it was easy to overestimate or underestimate, and they compensated it like that.:hmm: