SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-26-21, 03:47 PM   #6496
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

I still don't get it, ok so Merkel does not want the vaccine beause it is not safe at her age, ok, her decision.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-21, 03:50 PM   #6497
Gorpet
Still Searching

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Hello Gorpet, thanks for answering.
I admit i did not know Florida had 67 independent counties . So you are not allowed to leave one without an 'official' reason? But i take it this this a temporary Corona thing?
Catfish, My posts #6464 and # 6465 are a bit misleading and i'll correct this. First we have no travel restrictions here in Florida. In the 90s Because of carjackings, theft and murders of local people and tourist who crossed into different counties we were given the option for a few dollars more i might add. To replace the name of county we were from to having just "The Sunshine State" at the bottom of your license tag. And in my line of work i was always provided a company vehicle so no need for me to drive my personal vehicle to much.

Also you can transfer your tag to the next vehicle you purchase and buy a new sticker every year to keep it legal. So i and other Flintstones like me still run around with our county names at the bottom of our tags.You just get a bit more scrutiny from LEO agencies after 10pm . We have Stand Your Ground law's here for years so the crimes i mentioned earlier dropped drastically. Hope this clears it up for you. Sorry Jim
Gorpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-21, 04:16 PM   #6498
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Thanks. That explcitly it is not reprted in German media.

Still, while I type this, the head of the German vaccination commission is on TV talkign about AZ, and he again made it clear the rejection to give a recommendation for above 65 year old has nothing to do with any claimed or assumed inefficiency or risks, but because the data provided by AZ for thia age group is very poorly documented. They simpyl did a poor job in collecting data fro that age groupo. He said with the massive data fro scotland, it is likely that soon there might be an unlimntied reocmmendation for AZ for above 65 year old as well.

I assume Merkel refuses the vaccine not so much becasue fo fears about it medically, but because she does not want to break out of the official line.

Hu - I just defended Merkel, now I feel bad and shabby, and have a rotten smell around me. I hope it does not become a habit of mine. I must go and take a shower now to feel clean again...

Macron, hat is something different. The French are pissed that their own horse in the race has already broken down, Brexit they will never forget, Wellington they will never forgive, and as a good Frenchman he is anti-British for principle reasons. A question of state reason. He is French, so what else must be explained.
Old 02-27-21, 06:56 AM   #6499
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post

Macron, hat is something different. The French are pissed that their own horse in the race has already broken down, Brexit they will never forget, Wellington they will never forgive, and as a good Frenchman he is anti-British for principle reasons. A question of state reason. He is French, so what else must be explained.
You forgot to mention he also loves grannies

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 07:08 AM   #6500
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Managed to get the wife booked in for her first jab on Sunday so that's a bit of weight off my mind. Felt guilty getting mine first.
You simply couldn't make this up....

The vaccination invite letter arrived yesterday morning and when I visited the government website the wife was offered a choice of four vaccination centres, the nearest being in Washington (5 miles away).

I had her ring her doctors surgery (1/2 mile away) and enquire as to their expected schedule and they advised they were four to five weeks behind the vaccination invite letter.

I naturally booked an appointment with Washington for tomorrow.

The phone rang this morning and it was her doctors surgery offering her a vaccination tomorrow afternoon so I've promptly cancelled the Washington jab in the hope someone else will be given the appointment.

Old 02-27-21, 07:23 AM   #6501
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

President Joe Biden's $1.9tn (£1.4tn) relief plan to help Americans during the pandemic is approved in the House of Representatives.

Auckland, New Zealand's biggest city, will go into a seven-day lockdown from Sunday after one new case of coronavirus is detected.

Prof Sir Mark Walport, former chief scientific adviser to the UK government, says it "does make sense" to roll out the coronavirus vaccine by age.

Portugal's government is extending the suspension on commercial or private flights between mainland Portugal and the UK and Brazil until 16 March.

Old 02-27-21, 08:00 AM   #6502
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
President Joe Biden's $1.9tn (£1.4tn) relief plan to help Americans during the pandemic is approved in the House of Democrats.
Corrected that for you. Team Orange completely opposed it.
Old 02-27-21, 09:28 AM   #6503
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 241

Quote:
Corrected that for you. Team Orange completely opposed it.
There's nothing (< 10% of the overall funding) in it for covid relief. It's all a democrat slush fund for things completely unrelated to helping people financially impacted by covid lockdowns. What they've really done is financially-ruined our generations' grandchildren.

This is like the 2nd-to-last nail in US's economy's coffin. We're heading for a depression that will make the Great Depression look tame in comparison.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 11:23 AM   #6504
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Interesting take on why COVID cases are dropping around the world.

https://off-guardian.org/2021/02/26/...re-plummeting/

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 12:00 PM   #6505
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Interesting take on why COVID cases are dropping around the world.

https://off-guardian.org/2021/02/26/...re-plummeting/
Those of us who actually understand science and math and who weren't pushing a political agenda were laughed at months ago for saying that PCR Ct are way too high and that PCR in the absence of symptoms should not be used as a confirmation - someone tested in such a fashion could have had COVID weeks ago, not known it, and recovered - and PCR would still find viral debris - and this has overinflated the statistics of the dead because many many places have recorded a positive test within 30 days to be a covid-19 death.

I'd even go so far as to consider the following claim to be closer to true than not:

Flu season has always consisted of people being infected by influenza and various beta coronaviruses, and it has only been this past year where we actually tried to test everyone where we've found a fraction of everyone who actually is infected. In the past, when someone died with influenza-like symptoms and in the absence of a positive flu test, it was chalked up to a generic pneumonia - no one was testing for coronaviruses, adenoviruses, RSV, etc. except in specific instances such as infants and kids. That is - we've *always* had many more deaths involving cold and flu season that were never attributed correctly because no one ever had a reason to pay close attention before. Combine that with an annual flu vaccine that is on average only 40% effective every year, and lots of those pneumonias have a cause that no one has ever bothered to find.
Old 02-27-21, 12:26 PM   #6506
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 02-27-21, 01:47 PM   #6507
Skybird
Soaring

German death declarations discriminate precisely between a death from Corona (=caused by Corona), and a death with Corona (Corona being present but not the main cause of dying).

Case numbers are going up in France, Germany, Czech Republic while I type this, these are ust the countries were I am sure it is so, there may be others in Europe, too: SAwedne on my mind, Switzerland, Ireland). The Czech are absolutely desperate, their hospitals are overwhelmed. Triage is reality. They desperately scream for help and foreign nurses.

I have a basic understanding of science and stastics. I did statistics for 5 years, and after getting my diploma, for 2 years in part time employment in psychological sleep research data analysis. - Its long time ago, though, dont expect me to shake a cluster analysis or a factor rotation out of the sleeve without doing a refresher first. I studied at a time when SSPS for Windows was, unreliable and bug-ridden. Thats why we calculated it all not just on PC, but also manully, by hand/head. Doing so is no fun.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-27-21 at 01:57 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 03:06 PM   #6508
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
German death declarations discriminate precisely between a death from Corona (=caused by Corona), and a death with Corona (Corona being present but not the main cause of dying).

Case numbers are going up in France, Germany, Czech Republic while I type this, these are ust the countries were I am sure it is so, there may be others in Europe, too: SAwedne on my mind, Switzerland, Ireland). The Czech are absolutely desperate, their hospitals are overwhelmed. Triage is reality. They desperately scream for help and foreign nurses.

I have a basic understanding of science and stastics. I did statistics for 5 years, and after getting my diploma, for 2 years in part time employment in psychological sleep research data analysis. - Its long time ago, though, dont expect me to shake a cluster analysis or a factor rotation out of the sleeve without doing a refresher first. I studied at a time when SSPS for Windows was, unreliable and bug-ridden. Thats why we calculated it all not just on PC, but also manully, by hand/head. Doing so is no fun.
In the US, they definitely have *not* segregated with vs. from in any uniform manner.

Dependent upon which hospital, which state, and which health department, deaths can and have been reported differently. The federal government created a perverse financial incentive to report all deaths with covid as if they were from covid. The CDC also issues guidelines that, for a while, resulted in the reporting of anyone in close proximity to someone who tested positive as if they were also positive, without requiring a positive test result.

I don't trust *any* of the statistics in the US for that reason, as well as that the *recording* of test results is also not uniform. Dependent upon the lab, PCR Ct will and have varied, resulting in reporting of false positives and face negatives. Multiple tests of the same person have in some cases been recorded as separate cases.

We also have issues with *how* cases are reported in the US. Dependent upon the reporting agency, you'll still see dumps of data that would imply a huge spike in cases until you drill down and discover that many of those cases are from a week, a month, 6 months ago. You'll get a huge spike in Mondays or Tuesdays because of tests collected Friday- Sunday. Likewise the first business day after a holiday.

This would be fine ***if the media reported these facts***. The problem is, the media report, for example, "...500 new cases reported today..." without that context, which, cooked with the fact that most people are actually really dumb (even the highly-educated), and it results in the current panic with the associated power grabs by governments.

Facts about lockdowns and masks actually not working are surpressed. Lockdowns (part of NPIs) don't work once you get >1% of the population exposed. Masks are more unsafe outside of a clinical setting when used by the untrained.

Vaccines? If vaccines are working like they should, then you need to inform recipients of how long it takes to achieve the desired immunity rather than a nebulous "continue masks and social distancing for the foreseeable future.". Either they work or they don't. If they don't, then just unlock everything and be prepared to deal with whatever hospitalizations and deaths occur until herd immunity - people at higher risk can decide for themselves whether to hide forever or not.
Old 02-27-21, 03:27 PM   #6509
Skybird
Soaring

You obviously do not know much about vaccines. "They either work or they don't"? Sorry, it is not that simple, not with the Covid vaccines nor with most others.

From the German Doctors' Journal:
Quote:
“But what does '90 percent effective' mean?” ask the RWI scientists. Contrary to popular belief, this does not mean that nine out of ten people who get vaccinated are protected from infection. “That would mean that if you vaccinated all 83 million Germans, then 90 percent of them would be protected. Only the remaining 8.3 million can become infected. But that would still be far more infected than has previously been the case. So that can't be meant, ”said the scientists.

The statements of 90 or 95 percent effectiveness do not refer to the group of those vaccinated, but to that of the infected. Biontech reported that a total of about 43,000 people took part in their study, about half of whom were vaccinated and the other were given a placebo. Seven days after the second dose, there were 94 confirmed COVID-19 cases in the study population.

The definition of efficacy can be found in the Pfizer study protocol: For this purpose, the proportion of COVID-19 cases in the vaccination group is divided by the proportion of COVID-19 cases in the control group. The indication of effectiveness is therefore a relative indication.

This in no way devalues ​​the vaccination: After all, there must have been eight cases in the vaccination group and 86 cases in the placebo group. With a 95 percent reduction due to the vaccination, the ratio is eight to 156.

The RWI scientists remind you that the “90 percent effective” reported by Biontech and Pfizer refers to the reduction of infections, not of serious illnesses or even deaths. "We can only hope that this reduction will affect serious illnesses to the same extent, but this is not being investigated in the current studies," they concluded.

On your torade againbst masks, I leave you alone, I am tired of this nonsense. I fisherman using a net with smaller loops catches more smaller fish than a fisherman with bigger loops. Every late grammer school child understands this. Its the same with filtration of materials used for breathing through them for a filtering effect. A cotton cloth is not the same like meltblow tissue, but sitll is better than nothing if severla layers are used over each other. Try to hold sand in a coffee filter and in a noodle strainer. No facts withheld. Promised.

Enough of this all, these things are matters of coruse. Or at least they should be, not needing to be explained again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again, anbd every time as if it is new and for the first time.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-27-21 at 03:38 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 04:33 PM   #6510
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
You obviously do not know much about vaccines. "They either work or they don't"? Sorry, it is not that simple, not with the Covid vaccines nor with most others.

From the German Doctors' Journal:

On your torade againbst masks, I leave you alone, I am tired of this nonsense. I fisherman using a net with smaller loops catches more smaller fish than a fisherman with bigger loops. Every late grammer school child understands this. Its the same with filtration of materials used for breathing through them for a filtering effect. A cotton cloth is not the same like meltblow tissue, but sitll is better than nothing if severla layers are used over each other. Try to hold sand in a coffee filter and in a noodle strainer. No facts withheld. Promised.

Enough of this all, these things are matters of coruse. Or at least they should be, not needing to be explained again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again, anbd every time as if it is new and for the first time.
I understand perfectly well how vaccines work - that no one has ever highlighted that the efficacy for covid vaccines is just a guess it's an important omission of information. We know that year-over-year flu vaccine efficacy averages just under 40%. No one wants to admit that covid vaccine will end up the same way as pharmaceutical companies guess which strain(s) to develop the next year's season...

Masks? You fishing net analogy is completely incorrect. When masks are used as ppe by trained personnel, they are fairly effective. When used by the average lazy person who wears the same mask again and again, who scratches their nose or sinistral their mask multiple times, that mask becomes a vector for infection.

As to the ideas of masks preventing spread - you need to understand fluid dynamics to understand that it will only stop a portion - and that portion would have dropped out of the airstream on its own anyway - because masks leak around the edges spreading aerosol. The only thing the masks might be good for is humidifying the air. The most significant factor in the spread of respiratory viruses is humidity levels in the atmosphere - which correlates with the decreased humidity found during cold and flu season - which explains why the covid cases are starting to rapidly decline now that we're moving into spring.

https://www.cell.com/biophysj/fullte...495(21)00116-8

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan