SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-07-19, 10:22 AM   #256
turbo_fsx
Nub

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Where do you have SH3 installed?
Program files (x86) steam
turbo_fsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-19, 10:42 AM   #257
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_fsx View Post
Program files (x86) steam
That would be the reason for things not functioning correctly when you attempt to activate a mod. SH3 (and SH4) is an old DirectX v9.0c game, written for Windows XP. When Windows Vista came out, they included the UAC (User Access Control) functionality that "protects" certain "system" folders from alteration by the user and / or other "un-authorized" sources... ahem - needless to say, since JSGME is an "old" Windows XP program, it is not recognized as an "authorized" source, so Windows will rollback any alterations it makes to your "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam \SteamAps \common \Silent Hunter III" folder. This NOT to say that JSGME is a bad program, just that it is "old", as is SH3.

The way to avoid having Windows change things on you is to move the game's install folder. This can be difficult to do with the Steam version of the game. Consult the Steam Knowledgebase article "Moving a Steam Installation and Games" for their recommendations. If you are on a laptop, and only have a "C:\" drive (don't use the back-up partition), then you'll have to move all of your other games, as well as the Steam installation, due to Steam restricting you to one Library folder per Primary Partition on your computer. If you have a 2nd Partition, or a fast external hard drive that you could install the game to, then create a new Library folder there, and put Silent Hunter III there, as per the instructions in that Steam link... Once you get the game out of the "Program Files (x86)" folder, it will take and keep mod activations.

For more info, check MS UAC. Windows 10 has a further "protection" feature in Windows Protected Folders (WPF), which is a function of Windows Defender, and is not the same thing as UAC - it is actually more restrictive. Just to mention it, but not to recommend it, you can turn UAC off, but that does leave your computer open to potential undesired alteration.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-19, 11:25 AM   #258
turbo_fsx
Nub

Downloads: 12

Quote:
That would be the reason for things not functioning correctly when you attempt to activate a mod. SH3 (and SH4) is an old DirectX v9.0c game, written for Windows XP. When Windows Vista came out, they included the UAC (User Access Control) functionality that "protects" certain "system" folders from alteration by the user and / or other "un-authorized" sources... ahem - needless to say, since JSGME is an "old" Windows XP program, it is not recognized as an "authorized" source, so Windows will rollback any alterations it makes to your "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam \SteamAps \common \Silent Hunter III" folder. This NOT to say that JSGME is a bad program, just that it is "old", as is SH3.

The way to avoid having Windows change things on you is to move the game's install folder. This can be difficult to do with the Steam version of the game. Consult the Steam Knowledgebase article "Moving a Steam Installation and Games" for their recommendations. If you are on a laptop, and only have a "C:\" drive (don't use the back-up partition), then you'll have to move all of your other games, as well as the Steam installation, due to Steam restricting you to one Library folder per Primary Partition on your computer. If you have a 2nd Partition, or a fast external hard drive that you could install the game to, then create a new Library folder there, and put Silent Hunter III there, as per the instructions in that Steam link... Once you get the game out of the "Program Files (x86)" folder, it will take and keep mod activations.

For more info, check MS UAC. Windows 10 has a further "protection" feature in Windows Protected Folders (WPF), which is a function of Windows Defender, and is not the same thing as UAC - it is actually more restrictive. Just to mention it, but not to recommend it, you can turn UAC off, but that does leave your computer open to potential undesired alteration.
Thanks, that's strange because some of the other Mods work ok....I guess ultimately buying a standalone version of the game may help for all it costs?

Appreciate the help
turbo_fsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-19, 02:50 PM   #259
propbeanie

The Steam version is fine. You just have to use the Steam Start Menu to run things. You can freely copy the game for multiple mod installs, but you have to add them to the Steam Start and go through that. Once you are out of the Program Files folder, then it is almost just like a disk version. The Ubisoft version download I have is very similar to the Steam game in that regard also. Windows won't interfere with mod activations unless there are *.cfg file alterations, or other files that would be interpreted as "system" files. So if the mod only adds new tga image files, or maybe adds to the campaign files, then they will activate at work fine

Old 08-20-19, 03:10 PM   #260
YoYo
Ensign

Downloads: 36

Campaign question. I checked only "TKSS18 German U-Boats Compilation" (so part1) and can't continue the campaign from the last save. CTD after loading a mission. Any idea or sugesstion?

SH fan, btw. my U-boot Typ VII C41 Click!
YoYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-19, 04:51 PM   #261
propbeanie

If you add a mod, take out a mod, etc. of that type, you generally cannot use old Saves and should start a new career...

Old 08-20-19, 05:21 PM   #262
Kumando
Commodore

Downloads: 283

Any idea how to add the customized side emblems that come with GWX, They dont dont show with this mod?
Kumando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-19, 06:11 PM   #263
La vache
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumando View Post
Any idea how to add the customized side emblems that come with GWX, They dont dont show with this mod?

What's wrong with the emblem?

Not mirrored, fix here.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...light=La+vache
Old 08-20-19, 06:51 PM   #264
Kumando
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by La vache View Post
What's wrong with the emblem?

Not mirrored, fix here.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...light=La+vache
It wont show with this mod.
Old 08-20-19, 08:17 PM   #265
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 843

Quote:
It wont show with this mod.
Check if you installed everything correctly?
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-19, 08:16 AM   #266
Kumando
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvar1061 View Post
Check if you installed everything correctly?
I think i did, but my question is, this mod has a personalized skin with side emblems and the german eagle in the front, when you choose a side emblem from the gwx emblem pack, is it supposed to show it or not?
Old 08-21-19, 01:33 PM   #267
YoYo
Ensign

Quote:
If you add a mod, take out a mod, etc. of that type, you generally cannot use old Saves and should start a new career...
Thx. I traied different way. Back to the last auto save from base (not save from patrol) and it works again without CTD! Good for me.

Btw. I see that in this mod has differents renowal points than GWX. I prefer GWX realism (mutch harder). I need check basic.cfg so.

Old 08-22-19, 12:58 AM   #268
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 843

Quote:
I think i did, but my question is, this mod has a personalized skin with side emblems and the german eagle in the front, when you choose a side emblem from the gwx emblem pack, is it supposed to show it or not?
Unfortunately, it is the authors ' idea to use personal emblems. I fixed this with s3Ditor as much as possible.
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-19, 02:14 AM   #269
YoYo
Ensign

The question is I need something for this more?
1/ Shift + G or X (with both periscopes up) = I don't see small flags with tonage (I havent WAC 4.1 btw)
2/ Ctrl + Page Up (a.pericope up) need hited twice? The first auto periscope up, next pennants? I use Uboot IID in campaign now but I dont see any pennants even in Kiel dock.
3/ Shift+F (flags) works

Thank You. Great compilation!
Few screenies:

Old 08-22-19, 08:12 AM   #270
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

MaGui F should be enable before or after U-Boat compilation?
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote