SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-14-22, 10:39 AM   #1
KriegsMarine
Loader

Downloads: 1280
Uploads: 0
Default GWX 3.0 vs WAC 5.2

As we all know, the super mods GWX and WAC are both great and interesting, then I'm a little curious about how you captains think of them and which one is better and why.

KriegsMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-22, 12:37 PM   #2
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

Atleast for me Wac 5.2 is unstable. My goto modpack is GWX Onealex edition.

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-22, 01:29 PM   #3
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Very unstable WAC5.2
Fifi is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-22, 02:28 PM   #4
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

I removed WAC for a variety of reasons. OneAlex is excellent and I still enjoy GWX, particularly as it loads far faster than some super mods.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-22, 04:56 PM   #5
johnmarrington
Swabbie

Downloads: 46

OneAlex is the mod to play in 2022
johnmarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-22, 05:54 PM   #6
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15 Re: which is better...

To be frank, each mod set, has it's good as well as, bad aspects... what that boils down to... look at each, weigh the pro's vs the cons... then decide what one or ones, as the case may be, that you want to roll with.

After running them for a bit, then make the deciding factor... based on your "own" experience/s with them... decide what one/s you want to keep... or shelve...

That's not to say, that asking for opinions is a bad thing, but in the end... it comes down to what you feel is the best or in this case, better of them, is to "you".

Only, "you", can decide that...

There are some that are pretty good, from My perspective...

LSH3 (either the v15... or the v20+ version... take your pick, that are relatively... easy to set up... how you go, with rounding the set up out... varies widely... as there are a good number of add ins, for v15 still around. As for v20... last, I know of, is still some mods for v15, that are being converted, for use with the newer lad on the block.

Where things stand now... since, sadly the main skipper, behind LSH3... has passed on & out on eternal patrol (R.I.P Urmel... ) just what is going to be done, is unclear... which, it is My hope... that the remaining modders, left... continue on, in His memory. With that, totally up to them, but... I do sincerely hope they consider keeping it alive... for as long as can be done.

Getting back on course...

Main attraction is when starting out... doing what amounts to a training & shakedown of your new command... something the others, bypass... whereas that, is still doable with LSH3. Afterwards, is getting your assignment to a Flot., transferring & proceeding from there.

A.I., as it goes... is a bit... on the easy side of it... but, does (as I recall of, as it has been some time since I set out in a career... ) progress to some difficulty later on, as the war progresses. Even then, it is not quite that level that some of the others get to... on that point.

Mid-range wise... CCoM. at least with I think, the earlier on versions... though, not sure if any of those are still about. Some here... may still have the zips for those kicking about on a spare HD... v12... I think, was a bit more... edgier than LSH3 v15... but, that is owing to Rowi's vision of what LSH3 should have been... & He did work on LSH3, from what I know of...

As noted above... iirc, CCoM, bypassed the shakedown/training that is in its predecessor... & goes straight for the jugular on getting started on a career.

Overall... a good mod set to have.

1 Alex's GWX rework... as well as Toyo 86's &... Anvart1061's... are more geared, from what I can tell of... to be even grittier & edgier, as it pertains to A.I. difficulty.

These, like LSH3, are fairly easy to obtain, unpack & get set up... which, brings up GWX... with setting that up... have to really follow along with the set up for it, & that includes with setting up SH3Cmdr... to round it out.

1 Alex's & gang, have it, so that using SH3Cmdr, is easy to do... which, makes this a very good choice to roll with.... NOT that I am saying to go with them, exclusively... mind you.

With (as I understand it, from reading up on it... ) if you're looking for serious hardcore difficulty... there is... NYGM, to consider... (am working on getting this one set up, so haven't had the opportunity, to really dig into it... yet. ) This, if I have what I read, correct... is to get down to the real nitty gritty, of submarine warfare... & is 1 to keep in mind if that is what you're looking for...

With each of these I've outlined... (& this is not all of the ones available... there are some others, as well still...) as mentioned with LSH3... there are add ins that can enhance them, even farther... just have to be watchful to know that what mods to add in you grab, will work with & are intended for... the mod set you decide to roll with.

That & making sure to properly install them, outside of UAC's control... if you use Window's, that is... as for other PC means... I can't & won't speculate on, since I have only used Win. which is basically IBM compatible... which is the 1st computer I cut My teeth on, was an IBM... since the crack of dawn, of computers.

Use jsgme, if it's called for with those that require it. MultiSH3... is your friend... to keep your save folders apart...

Either 4GB patch, to assist in it running, relatively CTD less... for the most part... or Large Address Aware.

For relatively painless saves...

avoid saving while submerged... (if you chose to... )

At least ensure... being at least... 20 NM away from land... of any kind. In deep waters, if at all possible... not near any ships... still afloat or sunk... no air patrols about... in the control room, or at the nav map.... & most asuredly, after being out of using high TC, for at least... a bare minimum of 3 minutes before & after wards... (Feel that 5 minutes is better... but no less than 3. )

Before saving, do a quick submerge... sound check of the area around you, then surface after making sure the area's clear... of not only shipping but air patrols... & lastly... well after leaving port, if you're like Me & depart base, just as the guys who served on subs & surface ships did back then. No transwarping/lightspeed jumps... to outside to the open waters.. as if this is Star Trek/Star Wars...

Yeah, I know... I know, some feel & are welcome to their opinion, that more is invested in being out on patrol than at port... but... that is just My own opinion of adding to the realism factor... & can decide to go with either... as the expression goes, to each their own... & I stand by that... wholeheartedly. how you roll with leaving out on patrol... is up to you...

Some have reported being lucky or fortunate enough to have done a save on the bridge... without issues... but am loath, to endorse doing so... as with while being submerged... (see leaving port... same applies here, as well...)

I just avoid saving while submerged, so as to leave little to chance for a save to end up... corrupted, as is humanly possible.

As with any thing... hope that this info, is found to be... helpful.

Gute jagd, ihr Himmelhunde.!

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 01-15-22 at 02:07 AM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-22, 10:31 PM   #7
KriegsMarine
Loader

Downloads: 1280

thanx for your precious opinions. Another question: I noticed the attack periscope in WAC mod is rectangular, is it historically accurate ?

KriegsMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 01:22 AM   #8
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

Also OneAlex Mod has a bigger ship roster for Denmark , Netherlands , Sweeden , France , Free French ,

Also the secondary explosions on damaged ships are nicely done too

blackswan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 02:14 AM   #9
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriegsMarine View Post
thanx for your precious opinions. Another question: I noticed the attack periscope in WAC mod is rectangular, is it historically accurate?
On that... is a good question. I do seem to recall... (unsure of what mod set it was, that used that view through the scope...) that 1 mod mix, did have that 'square' peri view.

As to its being... historical, am unsure on that... have attempted to see of finding any pics, mentions of it, & so forth but... have thus far, come up... drier, than the Sahara Desert.

Perhaps, another that frequents the forums, may have info that sheds a light on its accuracy or lack thereof, on that.

M. M.
Old 01-15-22, 03:46 AM   #10
phooey
A-ganger

Downloads: 225

I like everything in WAC 5.2 other than its uboat waterstreams. For stability, you can borrow uboat w/o full interior from Fifi's CCoM enhancements.
phooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 04:38 AM   #11
torpille
Planesman

Downloads: 414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
On that... is a good question. I do seem to recall... (unsure of what mod set it was, that used that view through the scope...) that 1 mod mix, did have that 'square' peri view.

As to its being... historical, am unsure on that... have attempted to see of finding any pics, mentions of it, & so forth but... have thus far, come up... drier, than the Sahara Desert.

Perhaps, another that frequents the forums, may have info that sheds a light on its accuracy or lack thereof, on that.

M. M.
mod Urfish?
Old 01-15-22, 05:20 AM   #12
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpille View Post
mod Urfish?
Know that it wasn't part of a mega mod set... that I can recall of. Was a bit back, & not sure... it could have been part of WAC v5x... or an add on mod that changed up the peri view... iirc a major environment mod... think MEP... included a bunch of things in it, besides just enviro mods... if I'm remembering that set, correctly.

It may have had that included in it... just not 100 % sure, but... on remembering that square peri view. not round, at all.

Don't know about any of Urfisch's mod works... sorry. Well, not directly... it could be possible that an add in mod or mega, used something that they made... *shrugs*

M. M.
Old 01-15-22, 06:01 AM   #13
torpille
Planesman

Downloads: 414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Know that it wasn't part of a mega mod set... that I can recall of. Was a bit back, & not sure... it could have been part of WAC v5x... or an add on mod that changed up the peri view... iirc a major environment mod... think MEP... included a bunch of things in it, besides just enviro mods... if I'm remembering that set, correctly.

It may have had that included in it... just not 100 % sure, but... on remembering that square peri view. not round, at all.

Don't know about any of Urfisch's mod works... sorry. Well, not directly... it could be possible that an add in mod or mega, used something that they made... *shrugs*

M. M.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=157581
Old 01-15-22, 07:06 AM   #14
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpille View Post
No... nice mod work, from what I saw of it, but... not it though.

M. M.