SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-25-10, 12:37 AM   #1
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0
Default [REL] WideScreen GUI for GWX3.0&StockSh3

WideScreen first complete working GUI for GWX&StockSh3
=================================================
Hi mates,
finally we finished our first attempt. Please read all the readmes files inside to you understand some design decisions and others useful info. We also wrote a guide to Gui Modders as promissed.

From the main Readme:

Quote:
march 2010
Wide Screen complete mod for GWX3.0 standard and Stock Sh3 1.4b
================================================== =============

Credits:
-D3D.dll by Seeadler - without him the WS port to Sh3 could be never possible. Kudos to Seeadler, the brain behind all this!
-GUI by Rubini with the Reece's help. (slided TDC is a free adaptation from an old one by FLB)
-Thanks also for swajkaster's S3D and for GWX team
-And we always forget: Thanks Neal by subsim.com, our hobby house since so much years!

Proposal and Installation:
-This mod intention is just to provide the community with the first totally playable WS mod to we use as a guide to port more and more GUIs to WS mode.
-First choose the version you want to use/test (GWX3.0 or Stock Sh3 1.4b)
-Then enable it using JSGME and run the game in FULL SCREEN!

Attention:
-this was made for 1360x768 only. Modern WS monitors will just rescale it to its full area. Run the game in fullscreen.(laptops using 1280x800 see below)
-this mod is made for unmodded GWX3.0/unmodded stock game. It will break any mod that uses the same files.
-I provided a txt file for GUI modders - but it also can be useful for anyone that want to port your own Sh3 game installation to WS (make sure that you adjust the cameras.dat at least)
-this presented Gui have slidded TDC on Attack_Peri and UZO, a more clean basic interface and adjusted tables like Flags, maps, distance/time tables, etc to the WS area. Also water on lens mod from Flakmonkey is included.

Important:
-to activate/deactivate the manual target entries on slidded TDCs press Ctrl+T
================================================== ===========================

Last Comments:

Like I said, the resolution used is 1360x768. The Ws mod dll by Seeadler can handle any resolution but the problem lies on the 2d pages like nav and attack maps and in the Peri/UZO/Bino views. So, this basic mod is adjusted to work ONLY at 1360x768. Others high resolutions are possible but needs new and more hard adjusts, etc.

We choose 1360x768 as a start resolution because it's the major one that have the magic number "768", which means a far more easy adaption, as we only need to work in one dimension (1024 ==> 1360).

Note that some 2d screens are not yet totally adapted...at first because they are no important to we run the game 100% working and also because I want to release this first version ASAP, no more delong ...however they will be all adjusted in future releases.

The adaptation to the WS mode (using this actual dll) have some small limitations all them by the game engine itself. For example we can expand the nav/attack map to any WS resolution...but they will becomes mirrored after the position 1024 (in horizontal),also some loading screen/2d pages are hardcoded to 1024x768. So, i yet don't know if a real port to any resolution major than 1360x768 will be totally doable or not...

And as a last general comments the GUi that I choose to make this first attempt is already very good. It have a sliddeable TDC on Attack_peri and UZO, new flags and others tables tgas adjusted to use all new space available to the player on the maps, etc.

Reece is working in new NAvMap interface which have tools like pencil, protractors, rules, etc to the far right of the nav map window. I guess that this is the major addition that is missed on this first release (for now they work like the standard game /gwx).

The cameras.dat also have that dropping water on lens Sh4 effect (by Flakmonkey).
================================================== ==========================

Take Note:
- Alt+tab don't work if you run the game at same resolution of your monitor (well, in this case just for guys stucked on 1360x768)
- Works with both ATI and Nvidia
- you can easily port it to 1280x768(800) used by some laptops, just adjust carefully the positions listed on the readme txt for modders.
================================================== =========================
Link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2tg52id3uhy
================================================== =========================
Small event camera fix INFO only (I forgot to write this info on the GUI Modders readme) Not necessary to the mod, just for info!
http://www.mediafire.com/?4mmdgxjzcxn

Have fun and post feedbacks.
Kudos to our community!
Thanks to subsim.com!

Rubini.

Last edited by Rubini; 03-25-10 at 01:00 AM.
Rubini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 12:38 AM   #2
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Here some pics from the GUI. Some videos from the 3D ingame can be saw here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=165039

Old 03-25-10, 01:59 AM   #3
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Thanks Rubini for all your hard work, I appreciate all the help you have given.
An alternative to the Nav/Attack map can be downloaded here:
http://www.filefront.com/15926095/WS...Beta-1.01.rar/

Any issues please let me know, also I haven't bothered at this stage in releasing my old Sliding Stations Panel but if I get a number of requests I will do it.
Note: As Rubini pointed out "this was made for 1360x768 only."

Sub captains go down with their ship!

Last edited by Reece; 03-25-10 at 02:43 AM.
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 02:23 AM   #4
Myxale
Admiral

Downloads: 70

This morning is gonna rock!

Kuods Matey!

Myxale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 02:34 AM   #5
brett25
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 570

OMG

thank you Rubini and team!

first impressions is that this will be the future of SH3, enormous potential, 3d views are amazing! None of the intefaces work, cant seem to find the right resolution-1360x768 causes CTD (GTX9800), other resolutions work, but interfaces are wonky- but looks like a lot of potential here.

Update: if I set my native resolution down to 1360x768 (from 1920x1200) it seems to work. There's some stretching, but its much closer to your images posted

Last edited by brett25; 03-25-10 at 03:21 AM.
brett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 02:40 AM   #6
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Yes, many many thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-10, 02:42 AM   #7
Gunnodayak
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thank you Rubini, Seeadler, Reece, swajkaster and GWX team! This could be the chance for me to play SH3 GWX 3.0 on a full screen mode, because until this moment I've played it only in a windowed mode, my 21 inch Acer monitor not being capable of scaling, leaving two black borders on each side of the screen. It was unplayable for me until this moment on a full screen, streched, with "egged" shaped objects. It's a good start and I am sure you will make this mod even better!
This is one difference between you and the Ubisoft Romania devs, you do give a ....! And in the same time it's one of the reasons I respect you a lot, while unfortunately I cannot say the same thing about them. They "proved" their "value" on the epic failure SH5 Beta stage Shooter/Arcade game. I also know that are some things that cannot be upgraded or fixed because of the of the "hardcoded game engine" (in translation=incompetence and indifference of the devs), but I know you are struggling very hard to do things a much better way than they were when UBI thrown this SH3 buggy game on the market almost five years ago.
Like somebody once said, "Where there's a will, there's a way."!

Last edited by Gunnodayak; 03-25-10 at 03:38 AM.
Old 03-25-10, 03:14 AM   #8
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Nice! Silly question but will this work for NYGM... if not well i'll just go back to stock or reinstall GWX to try this out.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 04:16 AM   #9
KL-alfman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 86

tremendous work!
thx to the modders.
SH3 will live forever.
Old 03-25-10, 07:05 AM   #10
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

Notes - NVIDIA users

Due to technical limitations, the DLL works only with the following settings.

- Always use PC resolutions, not SD or HD
- Nor should the monitor connected via HDMI cable

- For scaling always choose the NVIDIA internal scaling

For ATI drivers it's seem to apply the same, but I have no ATI card to verify this!
Old 03-25-10, 09:21 AM   #11
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_2005 View Post
Nice! Silly question but will this work for NYGM... if not well i'll just go back to stock or reinstall GWX to try this out.
NYGM interface is very near GWX one. Just try over NYGM, i guess that you can mantain the commands_en.cfg untouched (NYGM commands file already have the necessary change in it) and it's ready to go.
Old 03-25-10, 09:28 AM   #12
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeadler View Post
Notes - NVIDIA users

Due to technical limitations, the DLL works only with the following settings.

- Always use PC resolutions, not SD or HD
- Nor should the monitor connected via HDMI cable

- For scaling always choose the NVIDIA internal scaling

For ATI drivers it's seem to apply the same, but I have no ATI card to verify this!
Hi Seeadler and chaps,

Just FYI, I'm running on a nvidia Gt8800 512 with VGA cable.
The HDMI cable is necessary to nvidia driver show the rescale options, so if someone needs it (rescale function), then is the way to go.

BUT...the majority of monitors automatically use all its full area rescaling any minor resolution (in this case 1360x768) for it's own max resolution. If so, no need to changes things on the GC driver.

Anyway, i read in some place that the rescale made by the driver is better than the one made by the monitor, is this always true?
Old 03-25-10, 09:41 AM   #13
Gunnodayak
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I have a problem, on full screen on my 21 inch Acer monitor (16:10), the 2D objects like dials are now egg shaped , but not on the horizontal scale like it was before this mod enabled, but on the vertical, like standing eggs. The 3D works perfectly.
Old 03-25-10, 09:50 AM   #14
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini View Post
Just FYI, I'm running on a nvidia Gt8800 512 with VGA cable.
With analog VGA cables there are no problems
Digital DVI cables (prefered for TFT users) also works.
The way the dll set the resolution has only problems with HDMI.

Quote:
BUT...the majority of monitors automatically use all its full area rescaling any minor resolution (in this case 1360x768) for it's own max resolution. If so, no need to changes things on the GC driver.
With nVidia drivers above 191.xx the dll throws "Cannot initialize 3D engine" with Windows7 if using auto scaling by monitors and the TFT is connected via a DVI cable.

Last edited by Seeadler; 03-25-10 at 11:07 AM.
Seeadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 10:16 AM   #15
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

A suggestion for further versions: The new space available in the tools bar between dialog box and the speed/depth/course dials could be used to put the shortcuts that are currently in the slide out left side, or alternatively the fuel/battery/CO2 indicators