SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-13-19, 04:59 PM   #46
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

I also belief there's life out there and not just here on our planet.

But this belief goes down as the size of these life grows and its intelligence

I'm 150 % convinced that there are bacteria or similar or something who is a little bigger(can't come up with what type it could be)out there on almost every planet(I wrote almost)
I'm 100 % convinced that there are bugs like flees or small spiders out there on some type of planets

I'm 70-75 5 convinced that there are smaller animals like rats or similar out there on some types of planets

When it comes to human-like creature I'm only 5-10 % convinced
When we talk about intelligence I'm down to 1-2 %

(Those percentage use to change, when I got new information from documentary about our univers and or our own planets)

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-19, 05:39 PM   #47
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Maybe I can shake up those percentages a bit when reminding of that planet Earth lies in those 10% of our galaxy's space/volume that belongs to the youngest space of this galaxy, meaning that the other 90% of volume the galaxy takes, and suns and planets in it, are older than our beloved little home we call the solar system. Tens and tens of millions of years older. Thats why I have red in some astronomy book, once.

Before concluding from that that any life on these older worlds must be older than we are and thus has had more time to undergo evolutionary process and thus being more "advanced", now take into account that older suns come at the cost of their own problems they mean to the planets revolving around them, aging issues of which there are many. Suns undergo a life cycle, and their fuel gets burned up. Radiation changes, from extreme to comfortable to destructive, for example.

That so many solar systems are so much older than ours, could not only mean life they maybe hold is superior to us, but also that it already has died out again and very long tiome ago. Or has adapted in ways we cannot even imagine.

Still certain of your percentages?

Anyway, if there is life able to reach out at us on ouzr pkante, we should be deeply worried if taking the human history of clashing civilizations as an example. Usually the superior civilization wipes out the inferior one, at leats oin our planet. And alspo, we cannot take it for grnated that a more advanced species autom,atic ally ticks by our moral rules and motivations. They simply may be beyond the meaning of our temrinola og right and wrong, good and bad, kind and evil. Am i an evil being is stepping onto that ant in the woods, and not even tpcing it? Or giving that mosquito irritating me the sklap of it slifetime?

I for myself have changed over my life my stand on alien life, from hoping that it is there and that we will make contact, to now hope we can avoid being detected by somebody out there. I think we should hope that we are out of reach, and we should stay as stealthy as we can. Voyager 1 and 2 imo today were not just stupid but potentially dangerous missions.

We have no reaosn to hope for the best outcome form an alien contact. Maybe we have no reaosn to fear the worst as elWe simply do not know. Maybe we are best advised to not hope for anything, and just stay silent and shut up, from a galaxian point of view.

I admit, there is no solace in anything I just said.

Maybe that is the price for survivial. If so, I hope we never find out.

Maybe soembody knows the "Galactic Centre" Saga by Gregory Benford...?! Not really a pleasant outlook, but I see some possible truths in it about a first contact - and the long range consequences that are lethal for mankind.

http://www.worldswithoutend.com/sear...0&ys=0&ye=9999

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_Center_Saga

Quote:
Paul Witcover in Sci Fi Weekly wrote that the series is "one of the most ambitious and enthralling sagas in all of science fiction: The epic tale of a star-spanning civilization of intelligent machines methodically working to exterminate a species of pestiferous vermin that calls itself humanity."

Also see the Fermi Paradoxon LINK

Last edited by Skybird; 09-13-19 at 05:55 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-19, 05:59 PM   #48
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Correcting

The universe is so complex that it is virtually impossible to embrace in its comprehension as a whole

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 09-13-19 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-13-19, 06:00 PM   #49
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Now you want to talk about space and what may or not be out there ...

What if what we see is not really still there if it took thousands of years just for the light to get here?

If we send a space ship to see, manned or unmanned, how long would it take to see something that may have exploded thousands of years ago and on top of that how long would it take to get a message back to earth that what we thought was there is no longer there.

We misewell wonder what will be discovered in our life time left here on earth, because whoopie we are never going to find out anyway.

We're all going to die
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-19, 02:12 AM   #50
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 10

Well yes, as long as we are stuck using propulsion system from 1940's, we aint going no where.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-19, 04:27 AM   #51
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
Well yes, as long as we are stuck using propulsion system from 1940's, we aint going no where.
Tell that to NASA, they will chase you out of town.

If there are no such things as UFO's why the heck should police, military and the governments around the world wast their time investigating something that is not true?

I for one would not wast my time energy money resources on something that is not true.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-19, 04:45 AM   #52
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Here’s a believable explanation of those UFO videos released by the Navy

Wow, the US Navy leapfrogged into the 23rd century?

Quote:
But let’s consider for a second that the mysterious object in question was manned by a human pilot. In that case, the vehicle would have to be equipped with the technology capable of reducing the inertial mass of the object by generating gravity waves to reduce G-forces during acceleration.
Old 10-15-19, 06:31 AM   #53
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Now you want to talk about space and what may or not be out there ...

What if what we see is not really still there if it took thousands of years just for the light to get here?

If we send a space ship to see, manned or unmanned, how long would it take to see something that may have exploded thousands of years ago and on top of that how long would it take to get a message back to earth that what we thought was there is no longer there.

We misewell wonder what will be discovered in our life time left here on earth, because whoopie we are never going to find out anyway.

We're all going to die
Looking out into space inevitably means looking back in time. Telescopes are time machines. The further away the galaxy is that we look at, the younger a universe we see there.

This will change when interstellar objects reach relative velocities beyond the speed of light, which is inevitable due to the expansion of the universe. Becasue then thse objects become literally invisible and will never be known of again.

We live in a special age of this still young universe. We live in tjis very short time window when the universe - in form of life forms like us - actally can get aware of itself and can look at and know about itself. This will get lost again, it seems according to contemporary cosmological models. The whole time-and-light-and-visibility thing seems to be just a brief contemporary episode in the universe lifycycle anyway.

I prefer not to think too closely about this anymore, there is quite some Lovecraftian horror in it.
Old 10-15-19, 06:00 PM   #54
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

This Nobelprise winner is optimistic when it comes to aliens

Quote:
A Cambridge University planet hunter said on Tuesday that mankind could detect alien life within the next 30 years, after winning the Nobel prize
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ld-find-alien/

Markus
Old 10-16-19, 06:57 AM   #55
Skybird
Soaring

Some German astronomer said the same in the year when I finished school. "In thirty years at the lastest..."

That was winter 1985/86.

Nobody knows really what is out there. But most nevertheless allow themselves the luxury of holding hopes and/or fears.
Old 05-17-21, 07:46 PM   #56
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

UFOs are very real, 60 Minutes reports, they're still unidentified, and they aren't American
https://news.yahoo.com/ufos-very-rea...061200487.html

First, UFOs are finally proven as real, now life discovered on Mars. What's next? Santa, I love you, I always believed!
Old 05-17-21, 07:52 PM   #57
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I always believed too. We're safe now aren't we?

I'll watch those now but by the teasers I've already watched them several times.....I.... believe.......

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-21, 08:04 PM   #58
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

The Holy Bible talks about Elijah asking Elisha what he would have him do for him for he was fixing to take off.

So Elisha says that he would like to have a double portion of whatever it was that Elijah had. Elijah says that this is a very hard thing to have, but if Elisha should see him leave then Elisha would have what he asked for.

What did Elisha ask for from Elijah?

Quote:
When the time came for Elijah to be transported alive to Heaven, he granted a request to Elisha, “Ask what I shall do for you, before I be taken away from you.” “Let a double portion of your spirit be upon me,” came Elisha's reply. God, through Elijah, granted Elisha's request.
2 Kings 2:11-12

Quote:
Then it happened, as they continued on and talked, that suddenly a chariot of fire appeared with horses of fire, and separated the two of them; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven. And Elisha saw it, and he cried out, “My father, my father, the chariot of Israel and its horsemen!” So he saw him no more.
So as you can see UFO's were considered chariots of fire in the Holy Bible.

I must remind you also that flesh and blood can not travel that fast without some kind of special space suit, but to be invisible would be almost impossible.

But with God all things are possible
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-21, 08:14 PM   #59
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

And I'll say why not as it is just as provable as any UFO sighting to date.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-21, 01:18 AM   #60
Skybird
Soaring

Witness reports may or may not be true. Video may be or may not be manipulated.
Contexts of statements and scenes may or may not be suggestively arranged.

In the end it again comes down to: believing it (=systematically taking some unproven and/or unprovable claim as proven fact although it isn't that), or not believing it.
You can also believe that mankind is nothing more than a highly develped form of a cosmic bicycle with an inbuild giggle instead of a bicycle bell. Of course you can also believe something different.

The only really unquestionable and undoubtable element indicating that a phenomenon of any kind does exist, is the existence of the ongoing interest into these topics. In this my understanding we are limited to defining the phenomenon as - well, an interest, and the motivation behind causing this interest. The motivation behind it can have been self-emerging, or intentionally triggered by not further identified interested parties.

Anything beyond stating this ^ is necessarily nothing else than mere speculation.

Tags
aliens, ufo, ufos