SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > MoBo - Electronic Maneuvering Board
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-12-10, 06:43 AM   #1
Marko
A-ganger

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 0
Default Nice Work

First of all let me say :"You did a damn good job with this program"

Secondly: Lately I have got the habit to use it in my plotting without jumping from the map to radar constantly. I write down the bearings and distances of the targets that i am following and do all the calculation in Mobo. When i am satisfied with the result i plot only the last position on the map and draw his course as a visual aid.

Now i think there is a problem with the vectors addition. When i get a contact at extreme range on the radar sometimes i stop and i plot from a stationary position. When i put all the data inside Mobo and i perform the vector addtion it appears that mobo doesn't add if your speed is 0. Now if my speed is zero knots and my course is different from 000° the vector addition should be performed because the course of the target it is still realtive to me. This is not a big deal because to get the target true course you have only to add to his relative course you heading. I haven't still checked the behaviour when you subtract vector and you are converting from true course and true speed to a relative to get the drm of the target and your speed is zero. Or maybe i am doing someting wrong, dunno still getting to know this program. Anyway very good job and thanks.

Obviously this scenario appear if you plot on mobo relative to me . If i convert the relative bearing to true bearing everything works fine.

Marko
Old 11-30-10, 09:09 PM   #2
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

Thanks for the kind words... I was away on vacation last week.

It works right, if you add a zero length vector (speed zero vector) to another vector, you're adding zero to it. There should be no conversion in that case; it would be true motion.

But I think I see what you mean. You're moving along and plottting on radar the relative motion; then you stop and continue to plot the true motion.

If you're plotting true motion from a stationary position then what do you think you need to convert? It's the true motion.
Old 12-03-10, 03:31 PM   #3
Marko
A-ganger

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronblood View Post
Thanks for the kind words... I was away on vacation last week.

It works right, if you add a zero length vector (speed zero vector) to another vector, you're adding zero to it. There should be no conversion in that case; it would be true motion.

But I think I see what you mean. You're moving along and plottting on radar the relative motion; then you stop and continue to plot the true motion.

If you're plotting true motion from a stationary position then what do you think you need to convert? It's the true motion.

Yes indeed i was mistaken ehehhehe

Tnx a lot