SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-07-08, 09:48 PM   #436
AkbarGulag
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer
Oh, and one trick to make cloning of a bunch of nodes easier (you need to redo all the id's!) is to remove all the other chunks from the file so you only are left with the chunks that need to be cloned. Then, use the remap function to assign new id's to all nodes in one go. Then export and import.

Saves the trouble of fixing up the nodes after import and manually changing all the id's.
I was going to export the nodes, then re-import them in a new file... then re-export with fresh ID's to be imported :rotfl:

Thanks for the tip Squash.

...It was at this point, Captain AkbarGulag realised how green his crew was..."
AkbarGulag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-08, 03:03 PM   #437
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

For those that have the automatic update notification disabled, or work with an older version of S3D:

Version v0.6.1 - Download link in main post (or follow link in footer to my site)

This release replaces any previous v0.5/v0.6 release! Make sure to uninstall previous versions first.

NOTE: unless you are planning on working with animations, you don't really need to update to this release. Choose as you wish.

New
  • Key frame animation support (not mesh animation!). You will now be able to set, change, or even add animations (based on key frames). I have some incomplete specs on mesh animation, so this is for the future. Thanks to privateer for helping me out.
  • I noticed SH3 has *.anm files that are also based on the .dat-file structure. They contain purely animation data (both key frame/mesh), so now S3D's file filter accepts files with this extension as well. I've also added the extension to the global file search dialog. Note that SH4 does not make use of this extension.
  • Added import/export menu item for embedded images.
Fixed
  • Pc's without the WingDings2 font didn't have a correctly rendered Close button with an X. (Button is on the right of the toolbar) I have never really payed attention to this. Button is now drawn correctly without the need for this font.
  • I don't remember in which version but a bug was introduced where importing a chunk into an empty document would fail with an error message. Previously this worked fine. Fixed, so it works again.
Improved
  • Controller engine improved + some controller definitions tweaked.
  • Improved some error messages.
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-08, 05:45 PM   #438
repalankas
Watch

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0

Greetings for this awesome job!!!

But I have a problem:

I have XP Pro Sp2 in spanish, Framework 2.0 and directX 9.0c installed with the latest redistributable available (directx_mar2008_redist.exe).
When I run the program appears a message asking for automatic updating, I answer with yes or no indistinctly, then an error message appears:

"Silent 3ditor ha detectado un problema y debe cerrarse. Sentimos los inconvenientes ocasionados. Si está en pleno proceso, puede perderse...."

Silent 3ditor has detected a problem and must be closed. We apologize for any inconvenient...

And a close button.

Another question:

Is it possible to correct sun glare parameters / files with this tool?
The goal is to get it working with ati x19xx series.

Any idea?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by repalankas; 03-12-08 at 06:02 PM.
repalankas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-08, 06:21 PM   #439
skwasjer
The Old Man

If you have gotten the autoupdate message, then I 'know' you have the required components installed because S3D does a precheck.

However, have you ever used a previous version? If yes, then please start from a clean slate. Uninstall ALL versions through Control Panel, and verify that the <Program Files>\skwas folder is empty (sometimes a folder is not removed if versions are installed over eachother). If not, delete any subfolder. Next, find the <Documents And Settings>\<Your username>\Local Settings\Application Data\skwas folder, and also delete it's contents. Now, all files related to S3D are removed.

Then reinstall latest version.

If none of the above helps or if this is the first time you installed S3D, then please give me detailed error message if available (crash dump, check if there's a 'Detail'/'More info' button in the error dialog), or if available, EventLog-entries regarding S3D. Not much I can do without it.

Anybody else with problems regarding this release?
Old 03-12-08, 06:39 PM   #440
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

Nope, I just cranked it up a little bit ago and opened up a file and it did fine. Didn't do anything other than that (yet )

Thanks for the update, BTW

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-08, 07:10 PM   #441
repalankas
Watch

I started from clean installation.

I tried yesterday 0.6, and had same error.

But......

With my laptop works!!! :O

Strange thing...

My tower:

PentiumD 925 3Ghz
2 GHz DDR2 667 kingston
mobo asrock dual vsta 775
ati x1950gt
xfi xtreme music
xp pro sp2 spanish
Laptop:

Dell Latitude D600
Pentium M 1.5 ghz
1 gb ddr 266
ati mob. 9000
same xp
Old 03-12-08, 07:59 PM   #442
skwasjer
The Old Man

Strange indeed. Can't think of anything right now that may cause this.

But I don't need your system specs, I need a detailed error message from that error dialog that pops up. I hopefully can use that to track the problem down.

See:

Quote:
If none of the above helps or if this is the first time you installed S3D, then please give me detailed error message if available (crash dump, check if there's a 'Detail'/'More info' button in the error dialog), or if available, EventLog-entries regarding S3D. Not much I can do without it.
Alternatively, you may try the latest .NET 2.0 SP1 (released just a week ago), although I highly doubt this will fix anything.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...f-a7633f706ba5
Old 03-13-08, 10:05 AM   #443
repalankas
Watch

No options, only close.

I think the easier solution is formatting.

By now works on laptop, at least I can change files from sh4 with network from one computer to another.

Thank you anyway.
Old 03-13-08, 11:04 AM   #444
skwasjer
The Old Man

I see you use a custom Windows Theme. Can you confirm if the problem still exists when you revert to the standard Windows XP Theme?
Old 03-13-08, 06:20 PM   #445
repalankas
Watch

Still same error with xp theme.

Same theme manager is installed on laptop and have no errors.

Don't worry, by now I have enough with the laptop, in the near future surelly will need to format the tower.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-08, 10:18 AM   #446
skwasjer
The Old Man

In an effort to pull more feedback from experienced modders/hex editors, the following release will allow everyone to see what data S3D still does not understand. This type of data is read and written unmodified behind the scenes, but by disclosing this info I hope we can debug the remaining pieces of data. Privateer asked for debug-like info, and I hope guys like him can assist me in integrating new discovered info.

This functionality will also give everyone else a clue whether or not it's safe to (re)use certain chunks for other purposes. If the chunk contains alot of unknown data, one should be conservative.

The integrated hex editor for the time being is readonly, but I hope to enable it as read/write some time...

Another limitation of the hex editor atm, is that the offsets it shows on each line start from 0, instead of the relative or actual file offset.

Thought this was a good idea

Old 03-14-08, 10:29 AM   #447
AkbarGulag
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 1

Anything that gives shows us a little bit further is a good thing. This tool can be a real pleasure to work with if you rub it right.

...It was at this point, Captain AkbarGulag realised how green his crew was..."
AkbarGulag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-08, 07:48 PM   #448
miner1436
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 107

If you ever make an import option for 3D objects will it be in formats other than COLLADA like maby .OBJ?
miner1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-08, 08:42 PM   #449
skwasjer
The Old Man

Unlikely. The OBJ-format doesn't support the info SH4-models need to be exported/imported with.
Old 03-15-08, 10:37 PM   #450
swdw
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 75

Since in the 3D animation for video world the obj format is very popular (thanks to wavefront) it's what many people think of first.

Game models require a LOT more info because all hinges, inverse kinematics, texture settings, etc need to be fed to the game engine. Plus the plygon normals need to be numbered the same way (waiting for the day cards can render b-splines as fast as polygons).

This is one of the reasons gmax was developed. You needed to export more info for games than 3DStudio did at that time. Some of the bigger name 3D programs either have add-ons you buy for game modelling, or tools are developed in house to to accomplish this.

Even Blender has a "game" export feature for this reason.

From what I read, Collada is designed to fill the gap between a 3D program for rendering to video and exporting those models to games and create a universal exchange format for doing so.

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
NVIDIA 1660 Super OC | Windows 10

Last edited by swdw; 03-16-08 at 10:44 AM.
swdw is offline   Reply With Quote