SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Jutland
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-05-11, 10:10 AM   #1
Tribesman
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Stormpowered

Is there many people finding this new game system to be a complete ******* pain in the arse?
Old 04-05-11, 10:55 AM   #2
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Not really. I find it a pretty substantial improvement. Been able to take my laptop with me and play the games offline without any issue. Have you run into problems?

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 11:44 AM   #3
Tribesman
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Have you run into problems?
Only that it won't activate so I am stuck with only a demo version
Old 04-05-11, 04:55 PM   #4
CCIP
Navy Seal

Huh. That's pretty bad alright.

I've activated all my games without issue. However that was also true of the old activation system, where some people had a heck of a load of trouble and I'd only been locked out of my old RJW license for a couple of days due to not releasing it properly, something that would no longer happen anyway.

Have you check in at the new SES forum? If nothing else, the responses have been rather quick there. http://www.stormeaglestudios.com/phpbb3/

[edit] oh the irony, the moment I link it, the forums seem to be down. Hopefully they're back soon

[edit2] Oh, well, it's back, and apparently Stormpowered got patched today. Give it a try and see if it's worked for you.

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)

Last edited by CCIP; 04-05-11 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-16-11, 03:43 PM   #5
cuppa
Watch

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

I just found out about this client today and haven't installed it yet. Not enthused about a client install for just one game either. I assume the client is optional and I can stick with the old DRM system. Or did I assume wrong?

Either way, I won' be buying another product from Stormeagle because I no longer support draconian DRM from any company. Too many PITA moments and a few games I have been locked out of because I needed new activations sent to me and had to wait days to get them. One game I had to wait over a week to get new activation code.

OK, so I found out I am forced to install the client if I ever expect to get updates for the game so did so. Which means I had to uninstall the game, install the client and have it re-download the game. But that is not all, while downloading I disconnected from the internet because I had forgot the game was dloading in the background. Restarted it just now and it starts at 0% instead of from where I disco. Wonderful, keep up the good work at annoying your customers.

Last edited by cuppa; 04-16-11 at 10:18 PM.
cuppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-11, 02:04 PM   #6
Kaleun Klink
Seaman

Downloads: 1
Has anyone noticed any issues running "Legacy Jutland" (using the pre-SP DRM) besides not getting game updates?

I just started playing Jutland again after several months away, and -- so far -- the game seems to run fine, apart from the inability to update.

That's annoying, but the version I have is fine, and uninstalling Jutland, installing & configuring SP (and my antivirus) and then re-installing Jutland seems like a PITA, so unless there's some compelling reason, I'll just stick with the pre-SP DRM.

Current games: UBOAT ... Victory at Sea Pacific ...

Ye olde games: SH3 + GWX3 Gold ... SH4 plain vanilla ... Steam and Iron ... Jutland ... War Plan Pacific ...

...and many board games!
Kaleun Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-11, 01:49 PM   #7
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Does this "Stormpowered" DRM end the requirement to connect every seven days or you cannot use their game?

SES DRM has kept me from buying but if the regular on line phone home by Jutland and Distant Guns is no longer needed, might just take the plunge at long last.
Old 05-07-11, 02:11 PM   #8
CCIP
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
Does this "Stormpowered" DRM end the requirement to connect every seven days or you cannot use their game?

SES DRM has kept me from buying but if the regular on line phone home by Jutland and Distant Guns is no longer needed, might just take the plunge at long last.
In short, yes it does. Works that way for me. Also allows me to have it installed on two PCs without any pain!

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 05-11-11, 01:39 PM   #9
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks for the reply.

Took the plunge and bought the Divorce Pack (Juland + SP1 + SP2 + DG-RJW) but having major issues trying to get either game to run although my system exceeds the minimum requirements in all areas.

Tech support is helping and hopefully a solution will be found soon.
Old 05-19-11, 10:27 PM   #10
timmy41
Weps

Downloads: 9

The DRM no longer requires contact every 7 days? That would be great if true! I play SH3 on my laptop and its a pain for the additional cost of internet for it when traveling. If it is true that the DRM no longer must do that then I may just get this game!
timmy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-11, 12:52 PM   #11
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
The DRM no longer requires contact every 7 days?
It does not appear to. You can set the game to run off line and force update searches through the "StormPowered" utility. Alternatively you can set to run on line for multiplayer or automatic updating.

It's still a DRM scheme but is essentially unobtrusive and also acts as a download and installation/removal utility. I too had refused to buy SES products solely due to their former draconian DRM model but this is so far invisible once in place.

Have noted some very minor hiccups but nothing that detracts form playing as yet. By now most of the technical glitches seem patched out and what remains appear to be mostly specific to the local computer.
Old 05-20-11, 09:00 PM   #12
CCIP
Navy Seal

Yep, it's just an option you can set after buying the game - both of the main SES titles are offline capable. To quote a post from SES forums,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackaces
In StormPower select My Games. Select Jutland. Just below "My Games" in small font will be change to offline capable. Select that and Strompower will verify the license and change it to offline capable.
I've done this and it works excellently. It also allows me to run the game offline on both my laptop and my desktop if I choose to.

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 05-25-11, 12:33 AM   #13
timmy41
Weps

Downloads: 9

What would be the point of running it online anyways?
timmy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 02:11 AM   #14
CCIP
Navy Seal

Multiplayer, really. The only thing that you can't do with your copy is buy one and then use it to play multiplayer on two different PCs at the same time.

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 06-06-11, 07:15 AM   #15
cuppa
Watch

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy41 View Post
The DRM no longer requires contact every 7 days? That would be great if true! I play SH3 on my laptop and its a pain for the additional cost of internet for it when traveling. If it is true that the DRM no longer must do that then I may just get this game!
SH3 = Silent Hunter 3?

SH3 requires no internet connection so don't understand your complaint, unless you meant SH5.
cuppa is offline   Reply With Quote