SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-14-13, 12:47 PM   #91
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 3

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/sile...g-ship-shaped/

0rpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-13, 12:37 PM   #92
Karl Heinrich
Soundman

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rpheus View Post
"There’s little doubt that Silent Hunter Online is for dedicated sim fans only. It’s painfully niche..."

Hmmm, if this is what PC Gamer thinks then Ubi are possibly somewhat off the mark for their target audience with this. Similarly, it's far from being "niche" enough for most of us. Sorry, just stating the obvious again in case someone had missed it...
Old 02-18-13, 12:45 PM   #93
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Yeah, I saw that too. It's painfully obvious that reviewer doesn't have a clue what sims are about. Also, if it's too much a sim for the casual reviewer, and not enough for the actual simmer, where does that leave it?
Old 02-19-13, 09:44 AM   #94
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rpheus View Post
Hmmm. Nice first look and summary. I take it from the reviewer's tone, he found the game interesting and somewhat complex. That bodes well for Subsim players--at least he didn't compare SHO to Farmville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
Haven't been here for a while.

Watched Onkel's video. After all these years I now know what he looks like.
Lol, then you must have missed all the Subsim meeting threads
Old 03-07-13, 12:11 PM   #95
Alexio
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default loool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Hmmm. Nice first look and summary. I take it from the reviewer's tone, he found the game interesting and somewhat complex. That bodes well for Subsim players--at least he didn't compare SHO to Farmville.

Lol, then you must have missed all the Subsim meeting threads
Old 03-13-13, 06:53 PM   #96
Flick
Sparky

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilder View Post
I'm going to go ahead and just side with Jefmajor on his opinion on this.

(Be warned language!)

My thoughts:

WHY UBISOFT, WHY GODS WHY WHHHHYYY WOULD YOU DO THIS?!?!?!

Oh right, Money.
Because UBISOFT now the name itself in other terms means (there not a hard company) and what does that remind you off? Exaclty they need some substance to get hard and get back into action.

As of now Rilder they have there head up so far up you know where the sun dont shine.

Enough said after playing SH 2, 3, and 4 which was the last
I had enough of Silent Hunter UBIHard oh sorry it's UBSOFT.
Flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 05:46 AM   #97
Steed007
Swabbie

Downloads: 16

Hi guys I don't Normally like ranting well only a little but here we go I see The first post for this Game was in 2012 about feb time now its June 2013 as of Today and this SH online is nowhere to be seen actually online.

In my View this game is like 9 steps back after SH5 I wont be downloading it even if it is free its a complete waste of time.

got say I know sh5 has lush grafix but Still I find myself miss'in the old days of sh2 and stats and people coming together to play Subs vs dd's in a competitive role to show what Captains got what Glory under there Name.
and Sending many a Merchy to Davey Jones Locker by our Wolfpacks :P

BIg Shout out to the Stat Writers for making the days of past fun

Steed007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 08:49 AM   #98
Jiva
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Steed I also miss the SH/DC days when the play was between real man/woman and keeping the stats. I can't reason why they never made updated version of that SH/DC combination. They where the best and most memorable days of playing. I bet if the SH online had the Dc compnent it would be very successful.

Jiva
Jiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 09:06 PM   #99
Gryffon300
Engineer

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Funk View Post
Someone probably said the same thing about the quality of SH4 in the discussion of the pending release of SH5.

I want to know where the faith we're supposed to be putting into this forthcoming product is supposed to meterialize from? The experience we've had over the last 3 Silent Hunter products has been a pattern of declining quality. The faith of the sim community has been steadily abused and taken for granted. Publishers have taken talented developers and quashed their creative potential by placing unrealistic development timelines on them, steadily reducing the overall quality of the released product. Past that they've also through this policy of rapid development turnover left us with steadily less and less polished final products becuase of more and more limited patching. The product we buy isn't getting better, and when they make a new one its not getting better either. They sell us a more bitter lemon with every new release.

If you bought apples from a grocer and every time the apples got mushier and tasted more bland and got more bruised, why should you have any faith that the next batch is going to be worth your money?

Now, we're not only seeing yet another hurried develoment title but we're seeing it gutted of its inherent credibility as a sim because of this MMO F2P nonsense. These games are rarely in any sense of the term "Realistic" nor are they particularly cerebral. They also afford the end user absolutely ZERO ability to modify the game whatsoever. On top of that the pricing scale is designed to force us to pay even more money than a flat purchase gives us.

Where in this entire scheme of the ongoing development of the Silent Hunter brand are we supposed to see the light at the end of the tunnel? The only shred of optimism one can pray before in this bitter recounting of my favourite sim's recent history is one of pure delusion and wishful thinking.

This is all about simple deductive reasoning. The entire business strategy of Ubisoft of late has shown itself to be against the better interests of this kind of community. Their strategy is all about money. Myself, as a consumer, my strategy is all about getting for my money the value I seek. I see a diametrically opposed set of intersts at play here. Why do we have to give the people trying to find the fastest way to the bottom our pocket the benefit of the doubt?

Given their recent track record if anything THEY have to prove to us that its worth anything, that is if they still care about us which I don't think they do. They went MMO because they want the cash from mainstream buyers. If thats the case, which it very likely is, then basically the product is now outside the parameters that attracts most of us to the brand in the first place.

There are so many reasons to be skeptical of SHO that I don't know which one to even put on the top of the list.
This is a great piece, but there are some realities that need to be considered. As an only occasional gamer, and rarely online. My wife & kids play Runescape and Minecraft etc, I have been into the Homeworld-based and Descent: Freespace-based games (where modders were given access to the original game codes and so could "skin" it to a Babylon 5-based experience), I want to explore one strong commercial reality that gets buried under the easy and obvious accusation that UBI and others are only interested in 'money'.

Partly due to the Ubiquitous uptake of personal technology (see what I did there? Wasn't that good? Nah, your right. Sorry. Won't do it again.), the MARKET has shifted to one of smorgasbord grazing and nanno-second attention spans Angry Birds today, Virus Boy tomorrow (OMG. I just made that up, relax. You haven't missed the Next Big Thing.)

So, here is what I know about modern media - movies, music and gaming. ALL of these 'industries' have moved to a model where the profitability and return on investment is essentially calculated to be made WITHIN 2 WEEKS OF RELEASE!

The market now buys music one song at a time, and there is a 3 second loyalty factor. Have a look at free-to-air TV. Sport, News and reality shows (cheap and quick to produce). And check the demise of Newspapers and Magazines. Maybe what I am suggesting is a bit of a black-armband view of 'culture', but can I suggest that maybe the reason that quality games are a dying breed is because WE are a dying breed.

Companies everywhere are casting around desperately looking for a way to 'Monetise' us (how I LOATHE that term!). We got used to free stuff on line, including news, but now they discover they can't pay for decent journalists to report or uncover it, so now we live in the world of press-release and propaganda.

So, if you look at the squillions of on-line Apps that are churned out by pimple-faced kids in their mom's basement, some of which become mega-hits and make a bomb for them, no wonder that looks tempting. The problem for the Boards and Committees making decisions on what to fund and how much to invest, no-one can ever tell you exactly WHY one app or movie or game will have that X-factor that takes it on to be massively profitable.

In such a market, especially if you have a short-term view and no longer care about building and protecting a brand, churn something (anything) out and cross your fingers that enough gullible types will pay for a download before the word gets out and, who knows, maybe we will have a hit on our hands for no apparent rational reason?

But, so as not to seem totally negative and cynical, have you noticed that LP records are making a come-back? Sales are growing (whereas CD sales are crashing). In 10 years there will be NO Video stores it will all be online. So, how does a company manage this transition and retain quality and interactivity? What role for the modder in the MMO universe?

Gryff
Gryffon300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 10:58 PM   #100
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

I haven't even bothered to follow the SHO Disaster after the first gameplay video was posted of the German Beta.

Even before that I didn't care.

But....I do have one question. When is the predicted/actual release date? ...or do they even know yet?
Old 07-05-13, 11:49 PM   #101
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

probably late august early September.
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 02:04 AM   #102
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstriker View Post
probably late august early September.
Ah... I don't care. I won't play it. Can't with this bad internet anyway.

The one thing that I see happening though...

Everybody says "Oh. I won't play it. I hate Ubi. I won't have any part of it" but do you know what you guys are going to do when it releases?

"Oh. I'll try it out I guess. Might as well see how bad it is" and then some of you will want to play more...

And you'll just be giving Ubi what it wants. A Drone Army of Arcade "Simmers" who will pay 2$ everytime they refit their boat.

----

End of my not so well informed rant. Micropayments might not even be part of the game for all I know even though I have a strong suspicion that they will be.

Old 07-06-13, 08:41 AM   #103
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
End of my not so well informed rant. Micropayments might not even be part of the game for all I know even though I have a strong suspicion that they will be.
I'm glad you tacked that caveat on the end. I've already said I would give it a try. I've also already said there's no way they'll get a penny out of me.

As for micropayments, they've already said they will be there, at least to purchase new stuff faster, so your suspicions were acknowledged before you ever had them. That's the whole purpose of a game like this.
Old 07-06-13, 11:31 AM   #104
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I'm glad you tacked that caveat on the end. I've already said I would give it a try. I've also already said there's no way they'll get a penny out of me.
I remember you saying that now.

Quote:
As for micropayments, they've already said they will be there, at least to purchase new stuff faster, so your suspicions were acknowledged before you ever had them. That's the whole purpose of a game like this.
Every single F2P game has micropayments. In some way, they do.
Old 07-07-13, 10:37 AM   #105
johan_d
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 113
Uploads: 1
Looked at some vids, but I saw absolutley no immersion. Nothing. Where is the hours of looking for prey, and suddenly become one ? Maybe SHO is nice for kiddies, but only for a day or two.
johan_d is offline   Reply With Quote