SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-09-20, 05:19 PM   #1
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Default Christmas seems so far away

Why is it so far to the next Christmas

I have a great Christmas wish

https://www.megahobby.com/products/r...trumpeter.html

Somehow this liner have been my favorite.

The size seems fits the shelf on my sideboard very well

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-20, 09:31 PM   #2
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

You like to build models? I LOVE building models. Playing some swing music as I build a model helps motivate me.
For Christmas, I would want this:
https://www.megahobby.com/products/u...-35-takom.html

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-20, 11:21 AM   #3
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
You like to build models? I LOVE building models. Playing some swing music as I build a model helps motivate me.
For Christmas, I would want this:
https://www.megahobby.com/products/u...-35-takom.html
That's a nice models.

I'm not so much into land based models like tanks, cars and other military or civilian models

I have build some tanks and cars throughout my years of modelling though.

I'm more into sea and air.

Right now I have slowly started on my current models it's a F/A-18E Superhornet 1/32.

Well I have already done the weapons who came with the models. Put them together, painted these weapons, so now it's only the decal left and when they have been added to the wings I going to add "Remove before flight"-photo etch to them(*)

Have made some mistake when it comes to painting. Before i was mostly groggy due to the chemical I used cleaning my oil based colours like Humbrol/Revell
This time I decided to use water based colour from Vallejo-Which also was a mistake.let me give you an Example

the Harpoon/Harm shall be painted in white...I had to use Vallejo up to 8-9 times before it covered the models(not able to see the gray ground colour)

Now I have found a solution. I use oil based color as before, but this time I'm going to throw the paintbrush out after first use.
meaning I paint an area...throw the paintbrush out...let it dry some hours, take a new paintbrush...paint it a second and a last time...throw the second paintbrush out.

Yes a lot of paintbrushes will be used..but I do not get dizzy and I only need to paint the parts 1-2 times.

* Secondly I had planned on using photo etch on the models for the first time...but it seems totally impossible to find tools to this.

Markus
Old 09-27-20, 05:50 PM   #4
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

(I knew I had a thread about modelbuilding)

Building the 1:200 Titanic is still there, however it has to wait.

I suffer from Glaucoma and two times per year I visit my eye doctor not so far from where my eye doctor has their office there's a little modelshop.

They had two big models both in scale 1:200.

USS Yorktown - The Doolittle version
HMS Hood.

I had started to save money for the Titanic models, but some weeks before my meeting with the eye doctor I started to be a little unsure, shall I save a little more and buy the Titanic models or....
I decided to buy one of these two models.
While there in the store I couldn't decide...until I remembered an episode of Battleships...so I toke...
HMS Hood.

Markus
Old 09-27-20, 08:46 PM   #5
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
(I knew I had a thread about modelbuilding)

Building the 1:200 Titanic is still there, however it has to wait.

I suffer from Glaucoma and two times per year I visit my eye doctor not so far from where my eye doctor has their office there's a little modelshop.

They had two big models both in scale 1:200.

USS Yorktown - The Doolittle version
HMS Hood.

I had started to save money for the Titanic models, but some weeks before my meeting with the eye doctor I started to be a little unsure, shall I save a little more and buy the Titanic models or....
I decided to buy one of these two models.
While there in the store I couldn't decide...until I remembered an episode of Battleships...so I toke...
HMS Hood.

Markus

Excellent choice!

Here is an F/A-18E Super Hornet I finished building a while ago:

Doesn't it look amazing?
Now I am saving up for a type VIIC/41 model Uboat.
And I need to get the paint needed for the F22 Raptor model I have....
Just wish my parents had some free time to take me to the hobby store.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Old 09-28-20, 04:29 PM   #6
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

It really does-You have done a splendid job.

As mentioned before I have this F/A-18E Super Hornet 1:32 and I have had this model for more than 5-6 years.

Already before i bought it I had plans for it...Paint should be water based=What a disaster, never again-So now I have bought lots and lots of paint brushes and oil based model paint(Humbrol)
So here is what i will do:
Paint the part(s) one time, then use some plastik to cover the brush, wait about 45 minutes, then paint the part(s) a second and last time and then through the paint brush away and so on.

I had plans on using Photo Etch for the first time-so I tried to watch as many videos about photo etch-seeing all these videos made my totally confused.

Getting the photo etch tools is a very long chapter in itself...Oh man
I can get some of the tools here in Denmark or Sweden.. but only one tool per hobby store.
I can get 2-3 photo etch tools from hobby shop in UK. So here I have to order from 2-3 different UK shops.
I could have searched for this in US based hobby stores-But here I have to pay customs duty, so if the tools cost me 100 Dollars I shall pay 100 dollars in customs duty.

So my F/A-18E Super Hornet will be build with only painted parts and decals.

Markus
Old 09-28-20, 06:12 PM   #7
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Thank you!

I started building models when I was maybe 7 or 8 years old with my grandpa. It takes experience to build a model that nice, including the paint which I do by hand. I'm also trying to get an airbrush and for those, iirc, you'd need the paint to be oil based. And water based paint doesn't work very well with plastic models.

What I do before I paint it is I take out the parts and carefully study them, then I was them in a bowl of soapy water to get the grease that is used for building the plastic parts off. The grease prevents the paint from sticking well. Then, I build the model and paint it and then add the decals last. I don't paint the insides of bomber planes that I build because no ones ever gonna see it unless you take apart the model.

Old 09-29-20, 04:01 PM   #8
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

yea tell me about it. Water based colour is a bad choice when painting on plastic models.

I always go through each tree to see if all parts is there AND if some of them has got any damage.

Only one time in my model building life, did I find a part who was damage. It was the hull on the HMS Queen Mary II 1:400 Scale. I send the producer a mail...10 days later I got a new fresh hull.

This HMS Hood model has photo etch parts which mean I need to get my hands on these tools.

When this model was released in 2016 it was without these photo etch sheet.
This mean somewhere between 2016 and 2020 they have decided to upgrade it to some kind of celebration(not the correct word I know) model
Now why didn't they go all the way and added metal barrel instead what's in the box-barrel made of plastic.
I'm thinking of ordering this
https://anticsonline.uk/Product/Trum...200_N107971969

Your metode of washing the parts in light soaped water sound interesting.

Markus
Old 09-29-20, 04:22 PM   #9
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Quote:
yea tell me about it. Water based colour is a bad choice when painting on plastic models.

I always go through each tree to see if all parts is there AND if some of them has got any damage.

Only one time in my model building life, did I find a part who was damage. It was the hull on the HMS Queen Mary II 1:400 Scale. I send the producer a mail...10 days later I got a new fresh hull.

This HMS Hood model has photo etch parts which mean I need to get my hands on these tools.

When this model was released in 2016 it was without these photo etch sheet.
This mean somewhere between 2016 and 2020 they have decided to upgrade it to some kind of celebration(not the correct word I know) model
Now why didn't they go all the way and added metal barrel instead what's in the box-barrel made of plastic.
I'm thinking of ordering this
https://anticsonline.uk/Product/Trum...200_N107971969

Your metode of washing the parts in light soaped water sound interesting.

Markus
Thats cool!
Some of the models I have built have really thin parts that break easily if you try to cut them out with an exacto knife or whatever, sometimes they are super small and you drop them and cannot find them.
Yes, photo etch requires new tools that you would not use on plastic models.

When you wash the parts, you have to be EXTRA carefull not to knock out the smaller pieces, because some may be extremely important and they could go right down the drain.
You could put some kind of mesh on the drain or whatever to catch the smaller pieces.

I did yard work with my dad and my mom helping them build their garden and most of our yard is clay, and lifting a lot of it hurt a ton.

My neck was super sore on Monday and some of today.

Old 09-29-20, 05:05 PM   #10
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

I think I will do it a bit different when it comes to washing the parts with water and soap.

First I will see in the manual which part is needed to make this section of the model-These will be cut off from the tree.

Then I'll take a cup add some almost slightly warm water and a few drops of dishwashing liquid. In there I will put these parts and let it be for an hour.

Thereby there's no chance for smaller parts to disappear-down the drain.

The bigger parts will be placed on a smaller towel or tea towel and using this towel to gently remove/dry the parts

The smaller parts will be dried by using a clean dry paint brush
(Brushing the small waterboble of the small part)

This is what I have been thinking on how I will proceed with this interesting thing in washing the parts with water and soap/dishwashing liquid.

Edit
Bigger parts will be put in a little bowl I have.
End edit

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 09-29-20 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-30-20, 04:57 AM   #11
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Given the choice of the two I would have picked similarly Markus

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-20, 06:07 PM   #12
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Given the choice of the two I would have picked similarly Markus
I haven't regret my choice.

I need to find a British hobbystore(online of course) where I can buy the photo etch tools I need. So far I have only found stores where they had 1-2 item and I need following.

Photo Etch Placer pen
Diamond fil/file
scissor or Photo Etch cutter
Photo Etch Parts Bender (Small)and (medium)
Bending Plier for Photo Etch (this is for the parts that doesn't really fit the parts bender)

When I work with modelbuilding, laying puzzle, sowing I listen to audiobooks.

I have bought the first two of Douglas Adams hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy series. Only two left.

Going sit and build while listerning to his books.

Markus
Old 10-01-20, 06:37 AM   #13
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
I haven't regret my choice.

I need to find a British hobbystore(online of course) where I can buy the photo etch tools I need. So far I have only found stores where they had 1-2 item and I need following.

Photo Etch Placer pen
Diamond fil/file
scissor or Photo Etch cutter
Photo Etch Parts Bender (Small)and (medium)
Bending Plier for Photo Etch (this is for the parts that doesn't really fit the parts bender)

When I work with modelbuilding, laying puzzle, sowing I listen to audiobooks.

I have bought the first two of Douglas Adams hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy series. Only two left.

Going sit and build while listerning to his books.

Markus
https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/products/accessories

https://www.emodels.co.uk/accessorie...ng-craft-tools

Old 10-04-20, 04:39 PM   #14
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Thank you for the links Jim.

I have decided to paint my F/A-18E in blue angel blue color and Insignia yellow.

I have found the insignia yellow model paint.
Now I try to find this blue angel blue color or similar.

Markus
Old 10-05-20, 03:18 AM   #15
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

My pleasure