SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-29-20, 06:23 AM   #1
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Default I think this is unethical: Companies bribing me to remove negative reviews

A while ago, I ordered some printer toner cartridges from an Amazon vendor. There is always a risk when buying third party toners, but the price was reasonable.

When I used the cartridges, one of the cartridges was smearing. I wrote a product review pointing out that the other cartridges were good, but that this one cartridge smeared. It was not a terrible review. I think it was a 4 out of 5 because the other cartridges were good and I probably got a bad one. Stuff happens.

They offered me a replacement, which was nice. I declined as the smearing was not all that bad and honestly, most of what I print out is for my own use only so it was not a big deal.

The problem I had was that the replacement was contingent on my removing my review. I don't think that is right. The review was based on the actual product I received.

Recently, I have been getting repeated E-mails from this seller offering me, what amounts to bribes, via gift cards, to remove my review.

I understand the importance of positive reviews. But my product had some flaws and my review pointed out the positive aspects of the product but pointed out the one single problem. It was an accurate review.

I think it is unethical for a seller to try to bribe customers to change reviews.

I could understand if I had posted an emotional 1 star review and vented about how terrible the company was etc.

My review was unemotional and pointed out the positive and negative experiences with this product.

Am I being unreasonable?
Old 05-29-20, 06:44 AM   #2
Hartroff
Seaman

Downloads: 32

I have similar experiences. You are not unreasonable.
The problem is product. Obviously it is not a 5 stars product. We are paying with our hard-earned money. If they sell a product, they have responsibilities. Feedback is really important for me. You did the right thing from my point of view.
Hartroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 06:46 AM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

No, not at all. Customer reviews are essential to e-commerce, I'm surprised an ink cartridge company would worry about a bad review. Someone there is really zealous about doing his job. With any product, there are going to be some negative reviews, whether because the product earned them or because the reviewer is flaky.

Our game Wolfpack has gotten some bad reviews, that just comes with the territory.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 07:21 AM   #4
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

from my point of view, it is not unethical or a bribe. Bad reviews can impact sales.

it is a free market, they are free to offer you $ to remove a bad review and you are free to accept or decline.
Old 05-29-20, 07:37 AM   #5
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 260

I buy a lot of things online and every now and again I get an email asking me to review the item.
On the odd occasion I have not been happy with the item and I told the truth, either it broke or didn't do what it said etc.

Then as you describe the seller contacts me and does what you said, offer me something to remove or alter my review.
In some cases certain items need a bad review to warn others not to buy, I don't mean like in your case where the other items were fine but one was faulty I mean when it is a single item that was to say the least very bad.

I've read reviews where some have said things like, 'Terrible don't waste your money' 'I had one it broke after just one day' etc etc. then you look elsewhere, I've had some good sellers who have been great and offered a replacement no problem and even give me a refund, some just sell rubbish and get away with it.

Col.

Silent and Violent
Col7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 07:37 AM   #6
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Did the vendor have any other negative reviews for the product in question? It really does seem a suspiciously aggressive response to what should seemingly be a not out of routine happenstance since, as you pointed out, "stuff happens". It could be the vendor has had other bad reviews for products and/or services/responses related to other products they offer through Amazon; maybe there has been a cumulative effect regarding their reviews and they fear Amazon will suspend or drop their seller's account...

It does seem a bit odd; just to be safe, it might be a good idea to avoid buying from that particular vendor...

<O>
Old 05-29-20, 08:29 AM   #7
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I don't review products except eBay where it's required. I simply have better things to do with my time like writing this comment.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 01:03 PM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post

Am I being unreasonable?
No. never in a million years.

If a review is honest, fair and balanced then that should suffice in every case.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 01:30 PM   #9
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
It does seem a bit odd; just to be safe, it might be a good idea to avoid buying from that particular vendor...

<O>

Before this unethical (in my opinion) E-mails, I probably would have ordered from this company again. They seemed like a good company. There product seemed well constructed. One bad cartridge, while upsetting, would not necessarily make me move to another company.

But as of now, Yeah, I am looking elsewhere.
Old 05-29-20, 02:10 PM   #10
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Before this unethical (in my opinion) E-mails, I probably would have ordered from this company again. They seemed like a good company. There product seemed well constructed. One bad cartridge, while upsetting, would not necessarily make me move to another company.

But as of now, Yeah, I am looking elsewhere.

You should note this in a review.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 08:25 PM   #11
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

That's a good idea
Old 05-30-20, 01:33 AM   #12
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

There are organizations that get paid to make sure a manufacturer/seller has a good reputation online. It wouldn't surprise me if this was an example.
Old 05-30-20, 09:02 AM   #13
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:

They offered me a replacement, which was nice. I declined as the smearing was not all that bad and honestly, most of what I print out is for my own use only so it was not a big deal.

The problem I had was that the replacement was contingent on my removing my review. I don't think that is right. The review was based on the actual product I received.
That's where they are wrong. I feel they should freely give you the replacement, that's what you deserve as a customer. If they want to ask or request you modify your review, that's ok.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 11:15 AM   #14
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

You are clearly in the right here, Platapus.

It's a shame that some companies act so unprofessionally when it comes to negative reviews or in your case, a good review with some negative words to say about the product.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 12:14 PM   #15
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Not only are you in the right and this is unethical, I'd update my review to reflect the attempts by the seller. If they're shady enough to try something like that they're shady enough to do more.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote