SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-31-20, 05:36 PM   #466
HK_01
Swabbie

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

First off, sweet mod. It's nice to see Operation Monsun get some much-deserved love.

One small thing I've noticed is that the optional mission markers are in German, but it's somewhat broken German.

O_BaseStop.dds reads 'Die Zone der Operation', which is technically gramatically correct, but 'Operationszone' or 'Operationsgebiet' would probably be the terms that would be used.
O_Insertion.dds similiarly currently reads 'Die Zone der Landung' and would more naturally be called 'Landungszone' or 'Landungsgebiet' in German.
O_Lifeguard.dds is the same and should be 'Evakuierungsgebiet' or 'Evakuierungszone'.
O_Patrol.dds is currently 'Das Quadrat des Patroullieren', which is not gramatically correct, seeing as its in the genitive (possessive) case, so an s would be at the end of 'Patrouillieren'. That would still be kinda clunky though and 'Patrouillenzone' or 'Patrouillengebiet' would sound better.
O_Photo.dds currently reads 'Die Zone der Untersuchung' and should probably be 'Aufklärungsgebiet', 'Aufklärungsziel', 'Aufklärungszone' or something like that. 'Untersuchung' is usually used for an investigation, while 'Aufklärung' is the term for reconaissance.
O_Reach.dds - see O_BaseStop.dds.
O_Supply.dds reads 'Das Quadrat der Auftankung'. 'Treffpunkt mit U-Boot-Begleitschiff', 'Treffpunkt mit Flottentender' (Rendezvous with submarine tender) or something like that would be better IMO.
O_Target.dds currently reads 'Die Zone des Angriffsziels'. Just 'Angriffsziel' would be enough here.

On a side note, is it possible to have the AOBF marked in German?

I love the UI of this mod btw. The map also seems to get the names right as far as I have seen so far, so no issues with the German there.

Edit: While I'm at it, the recognition booklet covers are also slightly wrong.

'Die Kriegsschiffe der Japan' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Japans'
'Die Handelsflotten der Welt' is correct
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Vereinigte Staaten' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe der Vereinigten Staaten'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Australien' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Australiens'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Belgien' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Belgiens'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Brasilien' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Brasiliens'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Britisches Reich' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe des Britischen Reichs', or 'Die Kriegsschiffe des Vereinigten Königreichs'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Bulgarien' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Bulgariens'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Kanada' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Kanadas'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Dänemark' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Dänemarks'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Ägypten' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Ägyptens'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Estland' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Estlands'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Finnland' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Finnlands'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Frankreich' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Frankreichs'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Freies Frankreich' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe des Freien Frankreichs'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Deutsches Reich' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe des Deutschen Reichs'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Griechenland' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Griechenlands'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Indien' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Indiens'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Italien' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Italiens'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Lettland' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Lettlands'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Litauen' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Litauens'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Niederlande' is correct
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Neuseeland' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Neuseelands'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Norwegen' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Norwegens'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Besetztes Griechenland' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe des Besetzten Griechenlands'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Besetztes Norwegen' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe des Besetzten Norwegens'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Palästina' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Palästinas'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Panama' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Panamas'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Polen' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Polens'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Portugal' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Portugals'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Rumänien' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Rumäniens'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der R.S.I.' is correct
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Sowjet-Union' is correct, although you could also write it as 'Sowjetunion' without the hyphen.
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Südafrika' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Südafrikas'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Spanien' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Spaniens'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Schweden' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Schwedens'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Syrien' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe Syriens'
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Türkei' is correct.
'Die Kriegsschiffe der Französisch Staat' should be 'Die Kriegsschiffe des Französischen Staates'

I've highlighted those that are correct as bold and those that don't follow the general rule of dropping the 'der' and adding an 's' at the end of the country name as bold and italicized.

Last edited by HK_01; 05-31-20 at 05:59 PM.
HK_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-20, 05:51 PM   #467
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

HK_01!a silent run since 2013! The infamous: subsim: seven-year-itch strikes again!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-20, 06:37 PM   #468
HK_01
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
HK_01!a silent run since 2013! The infamous: subsim: seven-year-itch strikes again!
Hello! Yup, after a 5 year hiatus from Silent Hunter I suddenly got the itch to play again (even though I was actually planning on getting back into Dwarf Fortress instead).
HK_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 06:36 AM   #469
Levyathan89
Soundman

Downloads: 49

Would it be possible to make the weather change more frequently? Or at least reduce wave height for wind speeds < 15m/s? I've tried several careers in the past few days and I've always ended up being stuck with huge waves for a week or so. Ok, the wind changed a few times between 11 m/s and 15 m/s, but in both cases, the waves are so tall that it's extremly difficult (for me) to get a decent torpedo solution. At this point, I have to say that this issue has become a bit of a deal breaker for me unfortunately.

Last edited by Levyathan89; 06-01-20 at 07:00 AM.
Levyathan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 08:48 AM   #470
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You are in the Atlantic though. As in real life, while PD might be "set" (in the game) at say 13 meters, you might have to come up to 11 meters to be able to get the periscope high enough to stay more or less above the waves. This does expose the turm more though... Your chance of being seen is therefore increased. Have you tried that?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 09:54 AM   #471
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56

It's funny you guys should mention the problem of waves interfering with periscope views. I have definitely noticed this in my Atlantic career out of Wilhelmshaven.

Since verifying ship nationality is more important vs. the Pacific theater, at least through 1941 (after which Germany is at war with almost everyone), I've taken to setting an alternate "periscope depth" of 11 or 12 meters.

I seem to recall that U-boats did in fact run a risk of broaching, if they tried to run too close to the surface.

Unfortunately, as I've read elsewhere, SH4 does not really model buoyancy and stationkeeping properly. No trim tanks, no obvious dive angle (unless you use a mod), and suspiciously good depth-keeping even in very severe weather.

I feel like it should not be allowed to man the deck gun above a certain sea state. Or at least gun crew efficiency should be drastically reduced, as they are being half-drowned and nearly washed off the deck every few seconds.

I am playing OM/DW after playing through a whole war career in FotRS:UE. I got spoiled by the comparatively placid waves in the Pacific theater. It could be my imagination, but I feel like there is much worse weather more often in the Atlantic.
Old 06-01-20, 10:09 AM   #472
Levyathan89
Soundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
You are in the Atlantic though.
It doesn't matter where I am, though. Happens off the coast of South Carolina, happens in the Western Approaches, happens in the North Sea: the weather stays nice for the first couple of days, then it deteriorates and you're stuck with foggy storms. It's always the same pattern (or at least the 3 or 4 times I tried it). That didn't seem quite right.
Old 06-01-20, 11:51 AM   #473
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Can’t do better with weather I’m afraid.
Didn’t noticed any huge inconsistencies apart of more bad weather in Summer times than winter times in SH4. But i suspect it’s due to game built for Pacific theater at first...
Anyway in real life, when bad weather and high waves, U-Boats couldn’t make any attacks
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 04:39 PM   #474
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56

Any tips on employing mines? They seem to be rather useless unless enemy ships are nice enough to run right over them, or you carry oodles and just get lucky.
Old 06-01-20, 05:58 PM   #475
Kazir
Bilge Rat

Great Mod! Thanks to all moders involved!

I have two questions:

1. Dose a sinking of a neutral ship affects your career? I sunk a greek ship in September 1940 and it was marked as neutral. Historically by that time Hitler was lifting most of the u-boat warfare restrictions and neutral ship in convoy en route to England was a fare gain. A lot of skippers sank neutral ships and this was legitimate according to BDU. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Sch%C3%BCtze)

2. Is it possible to correct the military awards system and make it more historically accurate? After my first patrol, I received a Knight Cross for under 50 000 BRT ( the rule was 100 000 BRT or in some cases 80 000 BRT). After that, I received two Iron Crosses Second Class, which is also not accurate.

Otherwise, the mod runs like a charm!
Kazir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 10:46 PM   #476
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Kazir!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-20, 07:50 AM   #477
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

neutral ships can and do result in a negative number of renown points equal to the ships "reward" points. Sinking a "friendly ship will result in 10x the negative number of the same "reward" ponits. So if a ship is worth 350 renown points if it was an enemy ship, sinking the neutral of it would result in a -350 points. All that happens is that if you sink nothing else to counter-act that negative "reward", then you end up with a "Poor" patrol rating. If you instead sink 10 other enemy ships and end up with 3500 points, for an aggregate 3150 renown, you might end up with a heroes welcome and some shiny brass... it's all about the points in the game.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-20, 09:45 AM   #478
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
Any tips on employing mines? They seem to be rather useless unless enemy ships are nice enough to run right over them, or you carry oodles and just get lucky.
that's the way mines work, young man.
little, leaden bundles of joy waiting for some poor unsuspecting captain to sail within its lethal range and BAM!
my apologies for the violent references.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 06-02-20 at 07:20 PM.
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-20, 03:52 PM   #479
Levyathan89
Soundman

Since I don't want to be nagging all the time, i made a new SH4 Dark Waters video^^

Old 06-02-20, 04:37 PM   #480
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Again nice video

To answer a question you ask in this video, there is an AOBF wheel in attack periscope view, as well as a stadimeter...you see the red button (when you lock target) top left periscope reticule, you have to click it. At 12mn 13s you see it highlighted

Keep the good work with videos
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote