SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-09-06, 11:48 AM   #16
Bruno Lotse
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 244
Uploads: 0

RE: 'll do the ratty rusty one as the Vorpostenboot...

Here are another ones for your inspiration. Former Yugoslavian Masor and Marjan converted by Germans as Minenshiffe - Minelayers and Minesweepers operating in the Adriatic Sea.

Masor:

Marjan

Former Yugoslavian Leader Dubrovnik - in German service - TA 32

Former Yugoslavian DD Beograd, then Italian Sibenico, and finally German TA 43
Old 03-09-06, 07:08 PM   #17
GlowwormGuy
Planesman

Downloads: 89

Man TA32 looks suspiciously like a British destroyer hehehe... looks like another incarnation for NDDA.

Mountbatten
GlowwormGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-06, 09:46 PM   #18
Bruno Lotse
Sonar Guy

As the story goes, when Yugoslavian Navy establishment allocated money for a new leader they initially approached French, as French were renown for their ships built for Mediterrenian theater. Yet Yugoslavians wanted on their destroyers Check guns (I do not know why they would thought that Scoda (land-locked country) was good in Naval artillery. They were undeniably good in building tanks though). French said no. They would built everything top-notch but according to their own specifications - from keel to the last bolt. Then Yugoslavians approached British. The British answered - you want us to install those guns or you would install them yourselves? So, eventually Leader Dubrovnik was another incarnation of British Naval ship building...Well, when Germans took it over they installed their own naval guns.
Old 03-10-06, 07:49 PM   #19
GlowwormGuy
Planesman

That solved it I guess... so I guess that 'this is a job for - NDDA!' Well Skoda works did pretty good artillery and I guess, being a part of the former Austro-Hungarian empire they were just more familiar with Skoda guns. Should do a pack - the German British looking ex-foreign destroyers: ZG3 Hermes, TA32... by the way, this is standard German camo colours? For the TA's I mean?

Mountbatten
Old 03-10-06, 08:38 PM   #20
GlowwormGuy
Planesman

Just thinking out loud...

Would it be possible to modify this lovely vessel...

http://www.voodoo.cz/battleships/pic...plan%20col.jpg

... into this one?

http://www.oksenate.gov/senate_artwo...s_oklahoma.jpg

Change the masts into tripods, put the secondaries into the superstructure and take away one funnel...

Just thinking out loud,
Mountbatten
Old 03-14-06, 04:10 AM   #21
GlowwormGuy
Planesman

Default Bad news and good news

First the bad news... the game does not have the German TB models for 1932 and 1939 which is really ridiculous as they're similar to the extant 1924 model but with a few guns added and subtracted here and there. So many missing things - heck they should have done at least two Warspites (Malaya type with old style tripods and the Warspite type) and at least two Renowns (Renown and Repulse, box superstructure former, tripod mast the latter) and a VW class with the old number of funnels, not just the single funnel long range version - I mean they had all those Yank and Japanese destroyers etc...

So that's the bad news...

The good news is

I'll send it over to Horsa for hosting. Included are the stock Gabbiano repainted as a Vorpostenboot and a 'lifeboat' (just a PT boat repaint in wood texture).

Cheers,
Mountbatten
Old 03-14-06, 08:19 AM   #22
willi
Watch

Downloads: 0
Default Re: Bad news and good news

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowwormGuy
The good news is

I'll send it over to Horsa for hosting. Included are the stock Gabbiano repainted as a Vorpostenboot and a 'lifeboat' (just a PT boat repaint in wood texture).

Cheers,
Mountbatten
Very, very nice!
willi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-06, 08:28 AM   #23
Scorpio U-1000
Swabbie

Good Work!

www.forum.maricosom.net
Scorpio U-1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-06, 11:01 PM   #24
GlowwormGuy
Planesman

Hi Horsa, hope you got the file safe and sound!

I'll work on a couple of more repaints for the TBs including 2 color and variant 3 color (green, white, black) schemes so we can get a trifle more color in there. By the way, Scorpio let me know where I can send this (if you'd care to include them in the Italian set or whatever) and Bruno please remind me of your email address again. I'll try and send over the Capetown repaints and a few other things.

hTanks,
Mountbatten
Old 03-15-06, 06:02 AM   #25
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Hi Horsa, hope you got the file safe and sound!
Nothing received recently
horsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-06, 06:02 AM   #26
willi
Watch

Hi Mountbatten
Thanks for your offer that we appreciate.
We will try to insert the unity that you will repaint in the expansion MN of next publication, or in a following patch.
The address where you can send the file, you find it in PM.

Willi

willi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-06, 10:42 AM   #27
Bruno Lotse
Sonar Guy

Re: Well Skoda works did pretty good artillery...
You're right. I've read recently that Skoda was the main supplier of naval guns for Austro-Hungarian fleet. Battleships of class Viribus Unitis were equipped with original Skoda guns. So Checks were in no way novices in naval artillery. The reason why French did not want to install Check guns on Dubrovnik was simply French desire to maintain their DD fleet as the most powerful in the Mediterrenian. Check guns were 140 mm capable to throw 40kg shells to 24 km while the most powerful French DD gun was 138 mm. When British built Leader Dubrovnik and installed 4X140mm guns, Dubrovik became the most powerful destroyer (in terms of gunnery) in the world all the way till German experiments with 150mm guns (which proved to be a failure - they eventually reverted to 127mm). Yugoslavians also had three destroyers - Beograd, Ljubljana, Zagreb. These three were based on French Barasque with 4x120mm but again Skoda guns. Italians captured Dubrovik ('Premuda'), Beograd ('Sebenico'), Ljublana ('Ljublana'). Zagreb was destroyed by its own crew who did not want to surrender their ship. Germans took over Premuda and Sebenico - TA 32 and TA43. Ljublana sank in spring 1943.
I like your idea of repainting British cruisers. Looking at stock RN cruisers in the game one might think that RN was in Toulon throughout the WW2 - no camo,no nothing. Have a look at the HMS Arethusa in so called 'Malta' camo, i.e. colors specific for that theater of war.
My email Bruno_Lotse@yahoo.ca

Here's HMS Coventry in 1941. See... She was not in Toulon. She was at Alexandria and as such she was properly painted

And finally my love, heroes of Malta HMS Abdiel and Maxman

Here's another one HMS Maxman in May 1942 painted as if she is a French destroyer Chacal. Ooooh sneaky British. Yet, what can you say - blockade runner...
Old 03-15-06, 05:35 PM   #28
GlowwormGuy
Planesman

Default will resend

Oakydoky will resend and cc to Bruno and Willi as well.

Thanks very much for the lovely plates Bruno. I've actually been doing most of the work on the Dido III (Black Prince - a Dido with 3rd turret removed) and a reworked Exeter posing as Delhi/Capetown class. Would be nice to have different camo versions of others. Particularly for Mediterranean theater as that's where the Italian fleet is expanding (hehehe)

Many thanks,
Mountbatten
Old 03-15-06, 09:31 PM   #29
Bruno Lotse
Sonar Guy

Here some ships to spoil Italian drive to Mare Nostrum

HMS York

HMS Enterprise

HMS Southampton

HMS Black Prince

HMS Scylla

HMS Coventry

HMS Delhi

HMS Ajax

HMS Swiftsure (well, she wasn't actually there but color plates are quite standard - light gray - dark gray)

Parra bellum
Old 03-16-06, 07:52 AM   #30
GlowwormGuy
Planesman

Default A few cans of paint...

Nice selection there Bruno,

I was getting tired of seeing the Brits in their prewar camo pattern - ie NO CAMO

Let's see what we can churn out with a few cans of paint

Mountbatten