SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-24-17, 05:25 PM   #16
Bubblehead Nuke
XO

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuaki Shimazaki II View Post
I've been told the S6G can also nat-circ, but you have to be STOPPED (hotel load only).
Nope.. Pumps have to be on all the time while critical.

There is enough thermal head to provide emergency cooling after a scram if the pumps have to be turned off.

Last edited by Bubblehead Nuke; 07-24-17 at 05:34 PM.
Bubblehead Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-17, 05:34 PM   #17
Bubblehead Nuke
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
Well in theory if sound is that important just about any boat could be SCRAM'd and run off the battery for some time, as long as enough power is reserved to do a reactor start up again. Screw that up and you're back in the 1950s and its time to raise the snorkel.

Would also be pretty cool if you could put the boat into turbo-electric mode or use the EPM. My understanding is that the EPM is pretty loud though.
We actually did this once down in AUTEC. We entered the range and scrammed the plant out. We turned almost everything in the boat off, including the fans.

With the EPM you are not going to be winning any speed races and you are VERY range limited but you will be a hole in the water. They tracked us by the LACK of noise in the water. We ran the range and then had to recover the plant and bring the boat back on-line quickly. It was quite the experience.

It was QUIET in the engine room. Scary quiet.

The outboard?? That would be for maneuvering in port. In theory you COULD use it to go somewhere if you have a propulsion train casualty, but that would be a LONG, LOUD, and SLOW. That was a screaming banshee as someone said earlier.
Old 07-24-17, 06:09 PM   #18
Bubblehead Nuke
XO

This is something that is NEVER simulated correctly in any subsmin I have tried.

Basically the speed to noise curve is not a linear progression as it is always seemed to be modeled.

This is going to be a very general discussion for obvious reasons.

Here we go:

You have to look at what is going on.

The main noise you have on a boat is the propulsion plant in a nuclear powered vessel. It is the ONE thing that has to be on all the time. It is the single biggest creator of noise on the platform.

Now, with the plant running critical sitting at the pier, you may be using 25% of your reactor power to just keep the lights on and such. We call the 'hotel load' It is a constant amount of power that is required to operate the various equipment on the boat. This means that the remaining 75% of the available power is used to turn the screw.

A simplistic way to thing about speed is that each 'bell' is a doubling of power. Note that I did NOT say speed. Power is a cubed function in relation to speed. In essence, to double your speed you have to have 4 times the power to attain it.

Here are some basic numbers:

Ahead 1/3 is 5 knots
Ahead 2/3 is 10 knots
Ahead standard is 15 knots
Ahead full is 25 knots
Ahead flank is 30 knots

If you worked BACKWARDS, ahead flank is 100% reactor output. That is all out get the hell out of dodge thermal limit on the plant.

Ahead full is HALF of the amount of power, ahead standard is HALF of the power used for ahead full, and so on and so on.

So what is the difference between ahead 1/3 and ahead 2/3? Not very much if you do the math.

Now.. WHY is this important? Because you can increase your speed and have basically no increase in own ships noise up to a point.

What you DO have is a degradation in your sensors to DETECT the other guy. So while he may still not be able to hear you, you lose the ability to hear HIM and thus you have to get even closer to detect him.

The whole issue is about trading maneuverability and time for expediency. How much ocean can you cover and find the bad guy.

I wish they had some kind of simplistic model of reactor plant ops. Give you, the captain, some kind of tactical option. You can go into an area in low power mode. You are quieter, but you are speed limited. You can go in at high power ops and while you are noisy, you have better acceleration and higher speeds. Make it so that if you have to shift to power states you make HUGE 'here I am' transients. That way you have to think about what you are doing and how you are going to approach things.

Sorry for the ramble..
Old 07-24-17, 06:51 PM   #19
jerseytom
Watch

Downloads: 0

Ramble on! I was close-ish to going into a nuclear engineering program in college ~15 years ago, but opted the mechanical route instead. Interesting to hear the insight.
jerseytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-17, 07:58 PM   #20
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Yes, please ramble on haha. I do nuclear engineering for transport packages but I'm always interested to hear the reactor side of things. Isn't the power required to overcome drag proportional to the cube of velocity?

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-17, 09:55 PM   #21
Shadriss
A-ganger

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead Nuke View Post
This is something that is NEVER simulated correctly in any subsmin I have tried.

Basically the speed to noise curve is not a linear progression as it is always seemed to be modeled.

Here we go:

The main noise you have on a boat is the propulsion plant in a nuclear powered vessel. It is the ONE thing that has to be on all the time. It is the single biggest creator of noise on the platform.

Now, with the plant running critical sitting at the pier, you may be using 25% of your reactor power to just keep the lights on and such. We call the 'hotel load' It is a constant amount of power that is required to operate the various equipment on the boat. This means that the remaining 75% of the available power is used to turn the screw.

A simplistic way to thing about speed is that each 'bell' is a doubling of power. Note that I did NOT say speed. Power is a cubed function in relation to speed. In essence, to double your speed you have to have 4 times the power to attain it.

Ahead 1/3 is 5 knots
Ahead 2/3 is 10 knots
Ahead full is 25 knots
Ahead flank is 30 knots

If you worked BACKWARDS, ahead flank is 100% reactor output. That is all out get the hell out of dodge thermal limit on the plant.

Ahead full is HALF of the amount of power, ahead standard is HALF of the power used for ahead full, and so on and so on.

So what is the difference between ahead 1/3 and ahead 2/3? Not very much if you do the math.

Now.. WHY is this important? Because you can increase your speed and have basically no increase in own ships noise up to a point.

What you DO have is a degradation in your sensors to DETECT the other guy. So while he may still not be able to hear you, you lose the ability to hear HIM and thus you have to get even closer to detect him.

The whole issue is about trading maneuverability and time for expediency. How much ocean can you cover and find the bad guy.

I wish they had some kind of simplistic model of reactor plant ops. Give you, the captain, some kind of tactical option. You can go into an area in low power mode. You are quieter, but you are speed limited. You can go in at high power ops and while you are noisy, you have better acceleration and higher speeds. Make it so that if you have to shift to power states you make HUGE 'here I am' transients. That way you have to think about what you are doing and how you are going to approach things.

Sorry for the ramble..
There's the nuke side - the SONAR side of it adds even more complexity. Another thing that is rarely modeled well (if at all) is how O/S noise increases with speed. Not the equipment side that Nuke talked about, but simple flow noise across the hull.

Really, there's two numbers here to worry about. The first is ambient noise (which CW does use), basically the noise that's there as background. The second is O/S noise, which changes based on any number of large factors. These both matter greatly in speed selection. Why? Simple: I go slow enough that O/S noise doesn't significantly add to overall background, and I'm good. Any slower, and I gain nothing. I go fast enough that I can still hear. Any faster, and I gain nothing.

This happens in most subsims as pure chance - at least on the high side. The area that tends to be lost is the slow side - slow is not always quieter. There is a point where going any slower does not make you quieter... but it does cost you in terms of your control of the local tactical situation.

So, between the two... well, what I'll say is that I'd far rather cruise around at 10-ish knots than the 5 that CW's 'silent running' forces me into.
IMF PACNORWEST
USS ALASKA (SSBN-732 GOLD)
USS ALABAMA (SSBN-731 GOLD)
NAVAL OCEAN PROCESSING FACILITY, WHIDBEY ISLAND
USS TENNESSEE (SSBN-734 GOLD)
Shadriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-17, 10:13 PM   #22
Bubblehead Nuke
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadriss View Post
There's the nuke side - the SONAR side of it adds even more complexity.
I was actually expecting a sonar weenie to chime in. That is why I left that whole discussion out.

FYI. I was a nuke who actually QUALIFIED as a sonar operator. It made section tracking party MUCH easier as I knew what the heck they were actually talking about and could ask specific questions that were actually helpful.

I did not want to get into the sonar side as I am more comfortable beating around the bush on the engineering side and not giving away a capability or operational information by accident.

I am sure there are TONS of things you and I could nit pick and bellyache on. If they only implemented a tenth of the things we are generalizing about most peoples head would explode from the workload
Old 07-25-17, 02:01 AM   #23
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210
Default Speed and quiet - 1/3 vs 2/3 vs full stop

All that said, it seems like making the own ship noise have a minimum background level and scale on a curve would be pretty simple to implement in a basic fashion, no? And scaling flow noise would be similar but without the added constant.

Do we know that noise actually does ramp linearly in game currently?

Also, should ultra-quiet be limited to ahead ⅓ or would it be more acccurate for it to be independent of bell?
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-17, 02:05 AM   #24
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39

Quote:

Here we go:

Ahead 1/3 is 5 knots
Ahead 2/3 is 10 knots
Ahead full is 25 knots
Ahead flank is 30 knots

Sorry for the ramble..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseytom View Post
Ramble on! I was close-ish to going into a nuclear engineering program in college ~15 years ago, but opted the mechanical route instead. Interesting to hear the insight.
2nd that, awesome explanation.
Also with the speed/noise curve. I think an outboard would be nice just for the circumstances / scenarios it could open up (thinking Cold is the Sea, Ned Beach's Cold War book about a crippled boomer stuck under the ice with just outboard propulsion) and it could probably be animated similarly to a periscope / any other retractable mast.

Rudimentary plant operation would be pretty cool, and who knows, if they ever decide to add diesel boats with their associated "control panel" for battery charging and whatnot it may be a possibility.
Old 07-25-17, 02:11 AM   #25
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness View Post
All that said, it seems like making the own ship noise have a minimum background level and scale on a curve would be pretty simple to implement in a basic fashion, no? And scaling flow noise would be similar but without the added constant.

Do we know that noise actually does ramp linearly in game currently?

Also, should ultra-quiet be limited to ahead ⅓ or would it be more acccurate for it to be independent of bell?
Believe so, I can recall looking at one of the config files (not just for the sensors flow noise) and seeing something for noise per knot.

In some ways flow-noise could get tricky because again, some of the LOUD boats, specifically the Echos and Juliets, are that way primarily because of their added flow noise from having all sorts of limber holes and big missile tubes recesses (I imagine that Halibut and the Greybacks would have behaved the same way) created all sorts of issues which would be nearly non-existent at slow speeds.

The Soviets started getting crafty later on and putting spring-loaded doors on all their limber holes. The sea-pressure would eventually overcome the spring and close the doors at depth.
Old 07-25-17, 07:10 AM   #26
jerseytom
Watch

Quote:
If they only implemented a tenth of the things we are generalizing about most peoples head would explode from the workload
Probably the most important thing here. As with anything that exists for entertainment, you can take the fun factor out of it by making it too much like a job. Probably don't need to go as far as "Game Over: You have failed to qualify on virtual submarines."

Another consideration - a simple boat_noise = 132 in a configuration file is a lot more accessible from the standpoint of tuning things in a relative sense for gameplay, and also in keeping a mod community alive and well with future growth.

From an implementation standpoint I'd think it would be fairly trivial to have a table lookup for noise level versus speed. I would think though that there's got to only be a very limited number of people floating around here that could even subjectively describe what that curve should look like for any number of boats.

If it were me, and my experience from developing professional simulation software, my MO would be to ask - what all do we really need to capture as far as characteristics across a broad range (of diesel/electric and nuclear submarines in this case), and what's the absolute most simple way to implement it.
Old 07-26-17, 09:32 PM   #27
Shadriss
A-ganger

Quote:
FYI. I was a nuke who actually QUALIFIED as a sonar operator.
A rare breed indeed. In 20 years of submarining, I can count the number of nuke-qualified SONAR operators I've worked with on no hands. Yes. That few. In which case, respect.... and mind your stack, Broadband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseytom View Post
Probably the most important thing here. As with anything that exists for entertainment, you can take the fun factor out of it by making it too much like a job. Probably don't need to go as far as "Game Over: You have failed to qualify on virtual submarines."

Another consideration - a simple boat_noise = 132 in a configuration file is a lot more accessible from the standpoint of tuning things in a relative sense for gameplay, and also in keeping a mod community alive and well with future growth.

From an implementation standpoint I'd think it would be fairly trivial to have a table lookup for noise level versus speed. I would think though that there's got to only be a very limited number of people floating around here that could even subjectively describe what that curve should look like for any number of boats.

If it were me, and my experience from developing professional simulation software, my MO would be to ask - what all do we really need to capture as far as characteristics across a broad range (of diesel/electric and nuclear submarines in this case), and what's the absolute most simple way to implement it.
The way it's implemented here isn't bad, it's just very much overly pessimistic.

For Silent Running aka Ultra-Quiet, you have to understand that it's a machinery line up condition, and therefore, less the plant operations, speed independent. So yes - should definitely be unshackled from the 5 knot restriction. There will be a point where it's pointless to set ultra-quiet if you're going to go so fast (likely Standard Bell, for the purposes of this game), but even so there is no direct correlation between speed and ultra-quiet.

As for the speed-noise curve... it needs to be loosened up a bit. It's not as bad as I had originally thought, but after playing around a bit more, I can usually pull 10 knots and still be fine on most approaches.
IMF PACNORWEST
Old 07-27-17, 09:14 AM   #28
jerseytom
Watch

Makes sense.

Should there be any other gameplay penalty to silent running? As it is the only thing is you can't reload weapons, I think. Seems like that's not quite as much of a penalty with fast reloads - if in a pinch you really need to reload, you can do so in ~30 seconds.
Old 08-02-17, 02:09 PM   #29
Shadriss
A-ganger

You ask a question that I reply with another question to:

Why should we penalize a submarine for doing what it's supposed to do?

I'm not even convinced there is a reason to stop torpedo loading during silent running, as everything involved in it is quiet unless the Trained Monkeys (TMs, AKA Torpedo Men AKA Horizontal Bomb Squad) manage to somehow drop a weapon... which is bad news of a different variety entirely.

Up until you actually shoot the tube, the whole process is a quiet one. So a better question might be, "Why are we penalizing a submarine for doing it's job?"
IMF PACNORWEST
Old 08-02-17, 04:13 PM   #30
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Well, it's ultra-quiet mode. Anyway, the torpedo reloads will be buffed up a bit. They'll still be around a minute on easier levels but around 3-5 minutes on realistic difficulty, depending on the boat. So can no longer spam weapons with reckless abandon.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote