SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-19-17, 09:56 AM   #16
PL_Harpoon
Engineer

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 4

There's one other thing though. Some missions (TLAM strike, seal insertion) have fixed starting position. That's where I have problems too and I think this actually is a bug. All the normal engagements seem fine to me.
PL_Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-17, 11:01 AM   #17
VizlaN
Watch

Downloads: 99
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
That's not true. The reason they know where you are is because they keep pinging you, updating your position. So if you can escape their active range they will lose you. The main problem is that submarines seem to share information when they should not.
What is the explanation for the behavior I linked you in the video last week, vs one sub that had -20 on SNS COMP active/-30 passive and torpedo still tracking perfectly? For reference:

You said you would pass it on to the programmer, was that not done or was what you just said what came back even tho the video shows only one sub?

Last edited by VizlaN; 06-19-17 at 11:12 AM.
VizlaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-17, 03:25 PM   #18
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

I carry a can of WD-40.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-17, 08:01 PM   #19
cj95
Lieutenant

Downloads: 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman764 View Post
Hmm.. Strange. It was the first thing I did too and I've had nothing but frustration trying to play it.
I changed it back to the default and it's *almost* too easy now.

Other than the changes in detection, do you find any downsides to the 1:2 ratio?

Its also pretty much the first thing I changed, but am wondering actually what it does now.

Arcade unrealistic?

>> USS TEXAS BB-35 Restoration CrewMember <<
cj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-17, 02:31 AM   #20
Tinman764
Chief

Downloads: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj95 View Post
Other than the changes in detection, do you find any downsides to the 1:2 ratio?

Its also pretty much the first thing I changed, but am wondering actually what it does now.

Arcade unrealistic?
It's bareable, but I'd prefer the longer distance scale. The engagements now nearly always start in my favour and it's fairly easy to stay undetected.
Tinman764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-17, 06:49 AM   #21
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by VizlaN View Post
What is the explanation for the behavior I linked you in the video last week, vs one sub that had -20 on SNS COMP active/-30 passive and torpedo still tracking perfectly? For reference:

You said you would pass it on to the programmer, was that not done or was what you just said what came back even tho the video shows only one sub?
That's been fixed.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-17, 03:03 PM   #22
ollie1983
Sailor man

Downloads: 5

Err, you say you go to silent running and begin 'beaming' the enemy?

You mean active sonar?

Don't use it. It just shows everyone your position unless they are close- probably 15kyds or less.

Stay at 5-10 knots, move in one direction, then another and rely on passive sonar and towed array.

Avoid making very acute course changes or depth changes as it would degrade tower array performance.

Change depth slowly and with the planes only.

I can kill enemy subs without them ever knowing the direction it was fired from.
ollie1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-17, 05:14 PM   #23
xXNightEagleXx
Planesman

Downloads: 148

With the risk of being obvious, repeat what has already been said and/or you already know, i'll give you my two cents.

I'll focus on enemy sensors.

I'll start by saying that their passive sensor is linked mainly by these factors:
1 - Noise produced by your ship
2 - Whether or not you are within their operational angle arc
3 - Your distance
4 - Your depth
5 - If the path between both is clear (any ship between can create enough disturb to destroy the signal

What you can do to decrease their passive signal is to put some distance, reduce or kill your speed, activate silent running, put some other ship between, change the layer and most important stay in its shadow zone.
Decrease your depth will be effective only if you can go pretty deep like beyond 1000 ft (works pretty well against choppers)

The active sensor on the other hand are linked to:
1 - Your distance
2 - Your profile exposure

So what you can do is put some distance and try to limit your exposure (having the target directly on your bow or stern) and again stay in the shadow zone.

So first of all please do not beam the target unless the active value is low, otherwise you will just make easier for them to spot you once the value increase. Second decrease any noise generated by your sub as much as possible (or at least the necessary amount in order to avoid finding yourself moving too slow to maneuver in time). Third, try to understand as soon as possible whether there is a safe shadow zone but beware of choppers, if choppers presence are already confirmed then you will have to consider going deep. Fourth, try to use their own sensor limits against them.

Devs already said that limiting your aspect can cut the value by up to 25%. I'll give some examples, if you beam the target with an active value of 10 and he pings you then be sure he will start to track you. On the other hand, if you aim perfectly toward the enemy or away from the enemy, to detect you they will need four time the normal value (10/0.25 = 40). Can you take this as a safe value? No! Because once they are simply too close, like below 3000yrds, they will at least move toward you, maybe without engaging you. It happened more than once that i got a ping from a target about 2.5kyds but the relative bearing was 0 and he simply did not see me.

For last but not least, in theory the active sonar should be disturbed when you are close to the bottom but after many test i can confirm that it is not working like this in this game or at least how the AI reacts to this dirty value. In the best scenario i saw them just parking above me for a long time, but usually they will just stay there and attack you.
xXNightEagleXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-17, 06:05 PM   #24
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Ambient noise and flow noise greatly affect the sonar detection, as well.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-17, 02:54 AM   #25
Tinman764
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie1983 View Post
Err, you say you go to silent running and begin 'beaming' the enemy?

You mean active sonar?

Don't use it. It just shows everyone your position unless they are close- probably 15kyds or less.

Stay at 5-10 knots, move in one direction, then another and rely on passive sonar and towed array.

Avoid making very acute course changes or depth changes as it would degrade tower array performance.

Change depth slowly and with the planes only.

I can kill enemy subs without them ever knowing the direction it was fired from.
No, I mean presenting the broadside of the sub to the contact to get a better passive return.
Old 06-24-17, 02:58 AM   #26
Tinman764
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXNightEagleXx View Post
With the risk of being obvious, repeat what has already been said and/or you already know, i'll give you my two cents.

I'll focus on enemy sensors.

I'll start by saying that their passive sensor is linked mainly by these factors:
1 - Noise produced by your ship
2 - Whether or not you are within their operational angle arc
3 - Your distance
4 - Your depth
5 - If the path between both is clear (any ship between can create enough disturb to destroy the signal

What you can do to decrease their passive signal is to put some distance, reduce or kill your speed, activate silent running, put some other ship between, change the layer and most important stay in its shadow zone.
Decrease your depth will be effective only if you can go pretty deep like beyond 1000 ft (works pretty well against choppers)

The active sensor on the other hand are linked to:
1 - Your distance
2 - Your profile exposure

So what you can do is put some distance and try to limit your exposure (having the target directly on your bow or stern) and again stay in the shadow zone.

So first of all please do not beam the target unless the active value is low, otherwise you will just make easier for them to spot you once the value increase. Second decrease any noise generated by your sub as much as possible (or at least the necessary amount in order to avoid finding yourself moving too slow to maneuver in time). Third, try to understand as soon as possible whether there is a safe shadow zone but beware of choppers, if choppers presence are already confirmed then you will have to consider going deep. Fourth, try to use their own sensor limits against them.

Devs already said that limiting your aspect can cut the value by up to 25%. I'll give some examples, if you beam the target with an active value of 10 and he pings you then be sure he will start to track you. On the other hand, if you aim perfectly toward the enemy or away from the enemy, to detect you they will need four time the normal value (10/0.25 = 40). Can you take this as a safe value? No! Because once they are simply too close, like below 3000yrds, they will at least move toward you, maybe without engaging you. It happened more than once that i got a ping from a target about 2.5kyds but the relative bearing was 0 and he simply did not see me.

For last but not least, in theory the active sonar should be disturbed when you are close to the bottom but after many test i can confirm that it is not working like this in this game or at least how the AI reacts to this dirty value. In the best scenario i saw them just parking above me for a long time, but usually they will just stay there and attack you.
Hi NightEagle, thanks for you post.

My main issue was I was starting missions where the enemy sub already had over +10 on his passive return to me before I'd even had a chance to take any action.
I don't know if this was because I was using the distance scale set to 1/1 because it didn't happen every time, but since changing it back to the default setting of 1/2 it hasn't happened at all.
Old 06-25-17, 04:53 PM   #27
VizlaN
Watch

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
That's been fixed.
Something is still off about how the AI subs target you. One active ping(from your ship) is all it takes most of the time for them to know exactly where you are and do a launch, while for you it takes a lot of pings from the enemy before you know with a high confidence. This is excluding them picking you up on passive or already having a partial solution from active pinging. I believe you mentioned before that they will not fire before an 80% solution is reached?

Still need to fix ships. They know your speed and bearing when launching counter-missiles after detected an incoming missile, even tho you change course and speed significantly after launch while being too far out for any detection(outside the obvious smoke-trail).

Also, were helicopters this useless in real life? First off they detect sound up until the point the microphone reaches the heli, not when it comes above surface. Minor, don't really care too much just an FYI. But, I'm able to easily get away from them even while cavitating above layer. Just need a mayor course change when the heli lifts to a new spot, and about 6-7 times out of 10 they loose you even tho ships 10k+ yards away are able to pick you up.

Last edited by VizlaN; 06-25-17 at 05:11 PM.
VizlaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-17, 06:30 PM   #28
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman764 View Post
No, I mean presenting the broadside of the sub to the contact to get a better passive return.
Ah but if you notice their active sonar strength does go up when you present your broadside. If you face towards them it goes down. so you have to watch that too.
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 05:44 AM   #29
CowabungaKid89
Swabbie

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
At 1/3rd, you have a pretty low bearing rate so it will take longer to build a solution. You have to keep a watch for the contact's ability to hear you in the signatures screen. If their sensors are below 10 dB, you can go faster and they won't pick you up. It is possible there are airplanes or helos nearby that are seeing you.

To quote ramjb here, to be stealthy doesn't mean being slow:

Thank you for posting this. Since it came up in the video: what I think really needs fixing ASAP is that this magic value of 10 on active is something I had to look up on forums. Such information should be available in game, preferably in a tutorial. Players should never have to rummage around in game files or forums to get such crucial information.
CowabungaKid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 06:45 AM   #30
Tinman764
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowabungaKid89 View Post
Thank you for posting this. Since it came up in the video: what I think really needs fixing ASAP is that this magic value of 10 on active is something I had to look up on forums. Such information should be available in game, preferably in a tutorial. Players should never have to rummage around in game files or forums to get such crucial information.
I agree. It was the same video you linked that helped me out too.

I think maybe changing the numbers to a more descriptive (and hopefully immersive) system like detection levels of "unlikely" "probable" "likely" etc... would be good?