SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-22-20, 12:22 AM   #1
bama76
Nub

Downloads: 196
Uploads: 0
Default Mega Mod for Silent Hunter 4 v1.5

Coming back to silent hunter 4 after a long break of about 1 1/2 to 2 years and was looking at a couple of the mega mods to try out. What I'm looking for to start out with is a mod that isn't totally set on 100% realism. I am trying to refine my manual targeting knowledge and ...lol....the japs are plenty safe from me right now to say the least. I have gotten in and looked at a few of the mega mods and have figured out the TMO probably isn't for me right now. Any advice would be much appreciated.
bama76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-20, 02:12 AM   #2
Kieldk
Helmsman

Downloads: 505

I would recommend Fall of the rising sun Ultimate aka FOTRSU

The development team is very active and are constantly working and updating the mod

In the newest version there are two AI levels to choose from, if you find the original mod too easy
Old 09-22-20, 01:41 PM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama76 View Post
Coming back to silent hunter 4 after a long break of about 1 1/2 to 2 years and was looking at a couple of the mega mods to try out. What I'm looking for to start out with is a mod that isn't totally set on 100% realism. I am trying to refine my manual targeting knowledge

then play stock 1.5 UBM.
then next easiest would be Stock-GFO.
then the next easiest would be TMOwTW.

my advice: play stock. think of it as training while at Groton and you are running missions off the coast of Rhode Island. once you get your legs under you, then you can load up and play a mega.

good luck!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-20, 09:15 PM   #4
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

I would not go with a mega-mod immeadiately after buying it either, as some mega-mods can completely change how the stock game works.

But if you are wanting to install one, I would recommend Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate, like Kieldk said, very active dev team and add-on mods.

A question for you, judging by your username, bama76, you are an Alabama Crimson Tide fan?

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-21, 11:22 PM   #5
bama76
Nub

Downloads: 196
Default Better late than never

Sorry bout the VERY LONG delay in the response. Just think of it as a long deployment lol. But, to answer your question, yes; yes I am a Crimson Tide fan. I'm really hoping I'm not going to receive a response to the effect that you, good sir, are an Auburn fan? lol But I have played the stock version for quite some time now and am now looking to expand past that with a Mega Mod. Are the recommendations still the same?
bama76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-21, 02:17 AM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Bama76!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-21, 05:02 AM   #7
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Sorry bout the VERY LONG delay in the response. Just think of it as a long deployment lol. But, to answer your question, yes; yes I am a Crimson Tide fan. I'm really hoping I'm not going to receive a response to the effect that you, good sir, are an Auburn fan? lol But I have played the stock version for quite some time now and am now looking to expand past that with a Mega Mod. Are the recommendations still the same?
Ahoy, bama76...

Rollllll Tideeee.... Roll.!

Yeah, I grew up in Bama... near the dreaded Tigers home...

Now living it up in the greater Grand Rapids, Michigan area.

M. M.

Welcome aboard, by the way...
Old 03-14-21, 02:15 PM   #8
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Yes, the recommendations would still stand.

Combining lists:

THEBERBSTER's mix of Webster's GFO
Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate
TMOwTw - which is a Bonus Mod
(I cannot find the thread for it)
TMO

in order of "difficulty". In order of "pretty graphics", FotRSU moves to the top, then either of the TMO variants, then GFO, which is basically the Stock game, with most viable "fixes" applied for better gameplay.

There are of course, quite a few more mods that are not listed here, as well as additional mods to most of what is listed above. THEBERBSTER's version of Webster's Game Fixes Only (GFO) mod is basically a true all-in-one resource.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 03-15-21 at 02:01 AM. Reason: dingalingdoodadtyping
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-21, 05:48 PM   #9
1Patriotofmany
XO

Downloads: 92

Fall of the Rising sun, completely excellent. Follow the directions to the T to install it properly.

IJN if you want to play the Japanese! Also excellent. I think this is the only mod playing on the opposite side. Very interesting. https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=137761 Don't mix the mod saves. Use separate installations of SH4 in a non standard folder. I've found that Fall of the rising sun works fine on my D drive in the steam program foldersx86 folder however. According to some, it won't work on the standard C: installation folder.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 04:06 AM   #10
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
Fall of the Rising sun, completely excellent. Follow the directions to the T to install it properly.

IJN if you want to play the Japanese! Also excellent. I think this is the only mod playing on the opposite side. Very interesting. https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=137761 Don't mix the mod saves. Use separate installations of SH4 in a non standard folder. I've found that Fall of the rising sun works fine on my D drive in the steam program foldersx86 folder however. According to some, it won't work on the standard C: installation folder.
You did sir, miss Op. Monsun: Dark, which is skippering a Uboat as a Kaleun... as well as We dive at Dawn, which is you as a Brit skipper(this 1 is in the bonus section, if memory serves Me right... and does need some serious TLC, as does Op: Monsun: Dark )

Also of interest, is a short mega for skippering a U.S. Fleetboat over in the Atlantic, called Subron 50, as well.

The IJN career, though... does call for using SH4 'stock', no adding in any other mega ods... at ALL. Is to mods that are needed... Kelto's IJN sub's & a career add in, which is hot listed in a reply post by propbeanie, near the tail end of the main thread for the sub's mod by Keltos.

There is 1 last mega I can think of, for the USSR, called soviet waterways... which I have yet to have tried out... YET... being the operative word here.

I think I have touched off on some mega mods/mods that were missed thus far... though NOT 100% sure that even I didn't miss 1 or more, Myself, at that.

Any way, as always, I hope this info has been of help...

M. M.

If you intend to run more than 1 mega/mod mix, I can't strongly enough stress, to ensure you use MultiSH4 with them all... this will save you from cross contaminating your game saves, as using it makes separate game save folders.