SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-26-20, 04:32 PM   #1906
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
1. Deleted everything SH4, including Save directory in Documents>SH4 and mods
2. Known-good fresh Sh4 version and mod installed
3. Enabled MultiSH4 and LAA
4. Played game
5. Game corrupted at some unknown point.

Incidentally, I tried playing that Formosa patrol mentioned above. Encountered KB on the way, set a beautiful ambush for Akagi, fired a spread of four torps, game CTDed just as the first struck.
i've had that disease before.
i believe there is a flaw in one of the modded files. i wish i could remember.
i'll see if i can find it.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-20, 04:46 PM   #1907
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
1. Deleted everything SH4, including Save directory in Documents>SH4 and mods
2. Known-good fresh Sh4 version and mod installed
3. Enabled MultiSH4 and LAA
4. Played game
5. Game corrupted at some unknown point.

Incidentally, I tried playing that Formosa patrol mentioned above. Encountered KB on the way, set a beautiful ambush for Akagi, fired a spread of four torps, game CTDed just as the first struck.
i found it.
i was playing RFB at the time.

the root cause of the problem turned out to be the TroopConvoy files. They contained multiple entries for PLConteverde with a Unittype=109 when all of the other references for that ship were Unittype=103.

so...if your situation follows what i experienced, there must be a disconnect for one of the ships in the convoy/TF.
not necessarily a PLConteVerde but one of the others. i had to find the exact RGG and go through each ship looking for "something". when i found this the barakah was with me.

good luck, buddy!

LAA enabled
Old 09-26-20, 06:08 PM   #1908
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

June 11 1943 West of Makong 1 Split Merchant stationary, these stationary ships are popping up frequently in player posts Mr beanie.
Old 09-26-20, 08:52 PM   #1909
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
i found it.
i was playing RFB at the time.

the root cause of the problem turned out to be the TroopConvoy files. They contained multiple entries for PLConteverde with a Unittype=109 when all of the other references for that ship were Unittype=103.

so...if your situation follows what i experienced, there must be a disconnect for one of the ships in the convoy/TF.
not necessarily a PLConteVerde but one of the others. i had to find the exact RGG and go through each ship looking for "something". when i found this the barakah was with me.

good luck, buddy!
Thanks, appreciated. I'm...um...a little behind the technical curve there though.

If anyone happens to be in Midway around 6/2/42 and would like to experiment to see if it's just my system, ping me for coordinates.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-20, 09:03 PM   #1910
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Thanks, appreciated. I'm...um...a little behind the technical curve there though.

If anyone happens to be in Midway around 6/2/42 and would like to experiment to see if it's just my system, ping me for coordinates.
look at your mod-set and see which ones, if any, have changes to /Data/Sea/shipfiles. then check the ships that changed.

LAA enabled
Old 09-27-20, 01:17 AM   #1911
DanielCoffey
Planesman

Downloads: 5

That looks like I may have missed part of the vessel when making the silhouettes.

Names.cfg says "KSCSTaihosan=Composite Superstructure Freighter"

KSCSTaihosan.cfg says it is using the NKSCSTaihosan model.

My NKCSCTaihosan.dat looks like the silhouette that NavelIntel reported instead of the vessel he was actually seeing.

When comparing the "real" Taihosan" there is a stack and some cables that is not on my silhouette. I suspect I had just missed it when exporting the objects from the model file. I will correct it asap.

Last edited by DanielCoffey; 09-27-20 at 01:28 AM.
DanielCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-20, 01:51 AM   #1912
DanielCoffey
Planesman

Merchants Pack 01 has been updated on the Silhouetes thread with a fresh version of the NKSCS_Taihosan.

As I had suspected I had forgotten the funnel and two cables. These were some of the very first models I had done and was not yet up to speed on how the parts were named or hidden due to nesting.

If you would like to manually correct your own copy of the game until it is incorporated into the next FotRSU official patch or release, you may safely do the following...

1. Download and unpack the Merchants Pack 01 file : http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/sile...sMerchant01.7z

2. Copy just the file NKSCS_Taihisan_sil.dds from that folder and paste it into Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific \ Data \ Sea \ NKSCS_Taihosan overwriting the file that is already at that location.

3. Load your save and open the Recognition Manual. Check that the Japanese Composite Superstructure Freighter now has the correct funnel.

In my opinion it should be safe to overwrite the texture file during a playthrough.

Apologies for the mistake.
Old 09-27-20, 10:28 AM   #1913
Moonlight
Admiral

Why do these 2 ships have a white background in the recognition manual and why are they using the old SH4 .sil textures.
NKLCS_Heian
W-19
Old 09-27-20, 11:58 AM   #1914
DanielCoffey
Planesman

I would expect them to have the new silhouettes with a transparent background.

Looking at my source files they are both in SilhouettesMerchant01 and SilhouetesMisc05 respectively and should have been saved in DDS DXT5 format with an alpha channel to give transparency.

If they are my files they should both be 1024x512px in size too.
Old 09-27-20, 02:23 PM   #1915
Moonlight
Admiral

@DanielCoffey
These are taken from the latest FotRS mod, you can see they're not yours, Mr beanie has forgotten to update them.

Old 09-27-20, 02:26 PM   #1916
DanielCoffey
Planesman

It will be a good idea to check the height and draft values too then.
Old 09-27-20, 10:42 PM   #1917
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

OK, for those of you have issues with the deck guns disappearing after a boat upgrade, we'll need a bit more info. The main thing I am wondering about is whether our little "patches" and updates have truly been backwards compatible with previous Saves. Therefore, for those of you that lose the gun, do you know / remember your mod "history", in addition to the mod list? In other words, say you started with v1.2, then went v1.21 patch, then did the v1.24 full version, the whole time keeping the same Save folder? Or have you done clean installs, and deletion of the Save folder, and then lose the gun on a boat upgrade? I most likely won't have much time the next few weeks to attempt to replicate the situation, but all of my testing thus far, even with boat upgrades, I do not lose the deck gun. However, these are thus far all fresh installs. As I say, I have every intention to try some v1.2 Saves, then apply patches, do more Saves, apply another patch, more Saves, & see if and when I upgrade my boat, if I do lose the gun...

In the meantime, an alpha patch is being scrutinized and hopefully will be out tomorrow afternoon / evening, with the 3 sil files included, as well as the v2 Shinano, BB sils, shortening of some airplane ranges, alteration of the Museum cfg, which necessitated some campaign file changes, altering some assignments for the Solomons area, and the addition of a "Cactus" air base for the US side, that only has fighters for Henderson Field on Guadalcanal. The idea behind the shortening of airplane ranges and the smaller airbase is to hopefully eliminate some of the airplane traffic over the Solomons. Similar to what we had before with Rabaul and other areas nearby, was that Port Moresby, Northeast Australia, Espritu Santo and later Milne Bay are all about equally within range of the Solomons, so an Allied airplane response is almost always heavy. Similarly, there are several Japanese air bases within roughly equal range, so their response to the Allied response, or to the sighting of the player's sub, is always heavy also. It was observed in one test run up northwest of New Georgia, outside the entrance to The Slot, where the Allied planes would sink entire Tokyo Express convoys of six and ten ships, accounting for the dearth of traffic further down in The Slot, and eliciting a heavy Japanese plane response...

Anyway, let us know about your mod "history" also now, if you've experienced losing the deck gun with an upgrade please, and we'll have some fixes in another (hopefully) compatible patch shortly. If you have anything else in the mod (besides the fuel usage, which is reported) that concerns you, let us know...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-20, 11:48 AM   #1918
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

This may be another artifact of my corrupted system, but when I tried deleting and reinstalling the entire FRS folder in Documents as a test, I found an American ship where no American ship should be.

I created a new career on board USS Sunfish. We departed Midway 1/12/43 for the Kuriles assignment, encountered a US T2 tanker anchored just off the SE shore of Attu, apropos of nothing. The waters surrounding Attu are rife with Japanese light naval units. Other than a complete dearth of traffic in my assigned patrol zones (ergo Attu), this was the only potential anomaly.

So, game glitch or corruption?
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-20, 01:47 PM   #1919
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The T2 at Attu is not a corruption. It is there a year early, and shouldn't show until August of 1943, instead of 1942... - It and the tug at Dutch Harbor have been edited. The tug at Dutch Harbor was pushing the player's sub south, which is more than just a little unsettling when you first get onboard... Both are "fixed", as well as a few other edits in that US_NavalBases file.

Why are you "re-installing" your Save folder though, and how are you seeing any ship in that folder? Are you referring to a Load from that Save folder set? If your Save folder is corrupted though, do not restore it after deleting it. You can try to continue your career, if you don't want to lose all of that career progress, but realize that your data is potentially corrupt, and even starting a new career, you will still have corrupt data in the Save folder... The idea behind deleting the Save folder data is to eliminate it, and let the game start over "fresh" with no data in the Save folder.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-20, 03:00 PM   #1920
Aramike
Ocean Warrior

Best of SUBSIM
Chairman

Downloads: 59
Default Save Games Not Loading

After deleting my save folder and reinstalling the latest Mod, interiors, and patch, I am having the same issue where saves won't load. I'm using no other mods.

This patrol started at Pearl in mid-42, was in a Gato. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Aramike is offline   Reply With Quote