SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-13-20, 03:21 PM   #16
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
In WWII when a sub skipper would record the tonnage of a ship he sunk did that number represent just the estimated weight of the cargo on board the ship, or did it represent the weight of the cargo AND the weight of the boat it was on added together?

Neither choice is accurate. The figure was the displacement of the target ship, usually as identified (with varying degrees of accuracy) using the ONI-208-J recognition manual.

To answer the question in the first post, which I don't think was addressed, yes, US boats would sometimes rearm and refuel, often referred to as 'double barrelled' patrols.
Old 08-13-20, 04:20 PM   #17
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

Downloads: 288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
Neither choice is accurate. The figure was the displacement of the target ship, usually as identified (with varying degrees of accuracy) using the ONI-208-J recognition manual.

To answer the question in the first post, which I don't think was addressed, yes, US boats would sometimes rearm and refuel, often referred to as 'double barrelled' patrols.

Cool. A 'double barrelled' patrol. Thank you very much for the information. I have been wondering about this, and have been looking for info on this for a very long time. I find all those little details interesting.
Am I correct in thinking that ONI stands for Office of Navy Intelligence?

During the war the U.S. Navy did such a good job of keeping the success of our submarines quiet (so as to not tip off the Japaneses) that now 80 some years latter it has become difficult to find some information. Even some of the most innocuous information about what exactly went on, and how they did it can be a challenge to find.

-StealthRabbit

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-13-20 at 05:17 PM.
StealthRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-20, 07:45 AM   #18
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Quote:
During the war the U.S. Navy did such a good job of keeping the success of our submarines quiet (so as to not tip off the Japaneses) that now 80 some years latter it has become difficult to find some information. Even some of the most innocuous information about what exactly went on, and how they did it can be a challenge to find.

Well that was true during the war, they weren't called the Silent Service because they were stealthy, but because they were so tight-lipped and security-conscious, but I wouldn't agree there is a lack of info available today.

Blair's Silent Victory is an excellent source among others, there are a lot of memoirs and other books, and the patrol reports are available on the web. If I were to recommend just one book it would be Silent Victory, but no reason to stop there

And yes, that is what ONI stands for.
Old 08-15-20, 04:51 PM   #19
Schnee
Engineer

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregor the Hammer View Post
The good news is due to Admiral Lockwood's fight with BuOrd resulted in making the Mk-14 a very effective weapon from mid '43 on. I hope that's modeled in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
It is modeled as such in FOTRS-U; the dud rate falls dramatically after mid-1943, but there will still be occasional duds now and then.

I'm just concluding a mission 7/43 where Mk 14 performed flawlessly helping me total 62000 in tonnage. So, mid '43 on things seem to be working.

Funny that the Kriegsmarine had the same problems but had it fixed after the Norwegian Campaign.
Schnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-20, 06:44 PM   #20
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104

Quote:
<snip>

Different subject.

Did some subs really have a little ice cream machine on board dose anyone know? I know the U.S. subs got the best food in the navy for moral purposes, and it would make sense to have a way to make ice cream on board for that purpose. And if they did was it allowed, or was it allowed only if no one else knew about it?

Just curious
-StealthRabbit

For sure the TANG did. Richard O'Kane writes about it in his book "Clear the Bridge"

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote