SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-11-19, 05:55 PM   #1
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Default periscope repaired/damaged

putting this one on the generic forum because i do not think it is a mod issue.

during a submerged attack we suffered damage to equipment in the conning tower and top side. key among the damage was both periscopes (conning tower) and both periscope heads (top side). after surviving and surfacing, in the fullness of time, the scopes were repaired and then the heads were repaired however approx two seconds after the announcement that the heads were repaired there is a followup message that states periscopes damaged. and it is the heads not the scopes because i am watching the damage screen. then this cycle repeats itself. periscopes repaired, periscopes damaged....while i am surfaced and making std speed. seems very odd.
has anyone else experienced this?

running RFB 2.0 and its patch mods.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 06:03 AM   #2
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 0

When reloading a save I sometimes get 'we are getting damage sir' repeating itself (or something similar). I find the solution was end game, wait, reload, most of the time it works.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 07:33 AM   #3
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Aha, RD, so that's not something corrupted on my system then. On a recent save, I had to restart 10 times to load without imaginary damage. This game has a lot of, um, quirks related to saves, as noted in the "camera askew" thread, for one.

I haven't noted the periscope issue but have had the "flooding/drained/reflooding" loop before. Sometimes it clears; others, it fully floods the compartment. Not sure if it's something I've done trying to get to safety or just a bug. Obviously I cut my speed to a minimum and stay as shallow as practical, even steaming in reverse when the Forward Torpedo Room is in play.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 08:24 AM   #4
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
When reloading a save I sometimes get 'we are getting damage sir' repeating itself (or something similar). I find the solution was end game, wait, reload, most of the time it works.
So, it is an Ubisoft quirk, you think?
Ok, thanks for the feedback.

LAA enabled
Old 07-12-19, 08:30 AM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

One thing about the game, and it is a bugger, is the Save system. SH4 has the same basic "Save" system as SH3. One of the big differences is the size of the campaign. SH3 has the campaign inside of three ~HUGE~ files. EVERYTHING about the world is contained in those three files, so the data there in the Campaign folder is what loads any time the game is run. SH4 has the campaign split not only into different functions/areas and different time periods, but it also loads the 3D world "dynamically", only as the player gets within the "spawn distance", whatever that might actually be - but it is beyond the horizon...

Anyway, the similarity is that if something has occurred in the game, and the whole "incident", whatever it might be, hasn't "cleared" from the game, then you will repeat ad infinitum ad nauseum those certain aspects of the game. If something that is broken in the game from the original programming, and you happen to encounter it, such as the anti-subnet sound (it is horrendous), then every time you restart the game, you will encounter that incident. With the anti-subnet sound, every time you re-start the game with a Save associated with that sound, you will "hear" that "ScKreeEE!". Yeesh! Your boat might also take damage again.

Similarly, if your submarine has taken damage, and you Save the game afterwards without the "repairs" being completed, the "clock" for the repairs restarts again. So let's say you have control room flooding from bulkhead damage. It is going to take 2 hours and 30 minutes for complete repairs (just an example - not a real figure). You have to get to work in real life though, and only two hours of game time has passed since taking damage. You still have 30 minutes of repair time yet to go. But you've got to leave for work, so you Save the game. After you get back home and load the Save, your damage is back to taking 2 hours and 30 minutes to complete. Plus, you oftentimes get the "sounds" associated with that damage as the game loads. Really strange, and disconcerting sometimes.

KaleunMarco might not be encountering that though. I can't find anything obvious (besides the fact that I am not sure of what I am looking at, much less for), but it might be that in an attempt to make something difficult to repair in the mod, it is getting stuck in a cycle instead. Just a guess though. Maybe if KaleunMarco can let us know if a re-start of the game and/or computer eliminates the damage cycle?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 04:00 PM   #6
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

all,

exiting SH4, relaunching it and reloading the game seems to have relieved the issue. equipment that was repairable was indeed repaired and stayed repaired.

thank you to those who reminded me that, when in doubt, save, exit SH4, re-launch, reload.

i have to say, in my defense, that in the past this cadence did not always work because the darn program would not reload the saved game. there are many reasons for this and i am sure you are aware of some of them:

• late in the mission with a large save file
  • underwater
  • underwater with enemy above
  • underwater near a coastline/island
  • all of the above at the same time
so...i have cured myself of saving under these conditions, especially the late-mission save.

KM

LAA enabled
Old 07-12-19, 04:42 PM   #7
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

I once had probs with underwater saves, but not for many eons!
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 06:09 PM   #8
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

FWIW, I had a problem saving and reloading games that cleared itself after I deleted all the old saved games (must have had 100+) except for the current mission. Keeping only the current mission game saves has worked well, whether saving surfaced or submerged.
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 07:30 PM   #9
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

There was a lot of salt-tossing and use of black magic with SH3 saves, but with SH4 having a much more manageable campaign size for the Save, the only aspects that should affect a save is the immediately roughly 30nm radius around your submarine. Every other bit of data is still in a spreadsheet (database) and hasn't been drawn. As I mentioned, those "timers" are a big thing, as is the save file size, as KaleunMarco mentions, especially if you Save a Replay - but can also happen when corruption occurs in the Save file. The rest of Save file issues are usually player-inflicted, by activating and deactivating mods, whilst forgetting which Save is for which mod - been there done that, as they used to say. That is about the fastest way to not only ruin a Save point, but maybe even cross-contaminate the game install also. MultiSH4 is our friend, as is JSGME's "Generate snapshot of game files", along with Rockin Robbins SH4CMS, which can also be manually accomplished with 7zip and other archiver programs...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-19, 01:42 AM   #10
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

If you're unable to load a saved game, I've found that a "hot start" can launch it. Simply get another saved game running, then load the one you want.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote