SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-27-08, 01:03 AM   #1
Sung
Developer

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default Submarine Simulation WW1 (Project)

Hello,

To work on a submarine simulation (in the direction of "Arcade" and less war simulation) in the World War I, I'm looking for images and historical backgrounds.

What I need are images of Submarine headquarters of the former boats. Maybe even blueprints. Colors are, as I think a big problem. How were Valve wheels painted, the pipes were made of copper or painted, etc.

I would be delighted if their huge sources familiar with, or even pictures or color tables have also ships and war ships.

Short on the project:

The game is located in WK 1. Your monitor a fictitious sea area, receive orders and tries to generate as much tonnage as possible to sink without itself to be submerged. Are your stocks of materials, etc.. Exhausted, you can with a supply ship hit ...

Thank you
Greetings
Sung

(Projekt Screenshot and further informations will be followed here if you want)

in German:
Hallo,

für die Arbeit an einer U-Boot Simulation (in Richtung "Arcade", weniger Kriegssimulation) die im 1 Weltkrieg angesiedelt ist suche ich Bildmaterial und geschichtliche Hintergründe.

Was ich benötige sind Bilder z.b. von Uboot Zentralen der damaligen Boote. Vielleicht auch Blaupausen. Farben sind wie ich finde ein riesen Problem. Wie waren z.b. Ventilräder lackiert, waren die Rohre lackiert oder aus Kupfer usw.

Ich würde mich riesig freuen wenn ihr Quellen kennt oder sogar Bilder oder Farbtabellen habt, auch von Schiffen und Kriegsschiffen.

Kurz zum Projekt:

Das Spiel ist im 1 WK angesiedelt. Ihr überwacht ein fiktives Seegebiet, erhaltet generierte Aufträge und versucht soviel Tonnage wie möglich zu versenken ohne selbst versenkt zu werden. Sind eure Vorräte an Material etc.. erschöpft, könnt ihr euch mit einem Versorgungsschiff treffen...

Vielen Dank
Gruß
Sung

(wenn es gewünscht wird würde ich hier im Forum Screenshots und weitere Informationen zum Spiel posten)
Sung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08, 04:59 AM   #2
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544

Looks interesting. How far into the project have you gone by now?
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08, 05:55 AM   #3
Sung
Developer

We stay at the begining of the project. The game concept is finished, some code an models are done. As you know, the first 80% will be gone fast but the problem is the last 20%
I would be happy to get technical informations about the subwar at ww1.
Old 03-28-08, 01:18 PM   #4
Deamon
Commodore

Downloads: 5

Hey Sung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sung
What I need are images of Submarine headquarters of the former boats. Maybe even blueprints. Colors are, as I think a big problem. How were Valve wheels painted, the pipes were made of copper or painted, etc.
You surely mean images of a subs control room ?

Well, images of these are rare as hell!

Quote:
(Projekt Screenshot and further informations will be followed here if you want)
Of course we want to see more info and SCREENSHOTS

Don't you guys have a website for your project ?

Tell us something about your group, how many guys are you and how is the game supposed to be released, freeware, commercial or open source ?

Which sub/subs is the player supposed to operate in the game ?

Who got the WWI idea ? Why did you guys picked WWI in particular ? :hmm:
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08, 01:42 PM   #5
Sung
Developer

Hello Deamon,
i don't wont to promote the project to much, because we are far away from a running game. The idea came to us after we finished a other project. The first idea was a ww1 biplane simulation. By the way there are less games about the first world war and so we decide to develop a submarine game with more arcade and less simulation. I didn't know how much simulation we got into the game... I belive rondo medias "shell of fury" is the only submarine game in this age (I only see some screenshots). For my self i have played Silent Hunter 2 years ago.
The team is really small with 2 but we work together a couple of years.

images of a subs control room is that what i really needs.

Ok, here are 3 pictures from the project - i made them very tiny so you can not see any details and discuss about the poor graphics

Last edited by Sung; 04-12-08 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-28-08, 02:38 PM   #6
Deamon
Commodore

Quote:
Hello Deamon,
i don't wont to promote the project to much, because we are far away from a running game.
But you have at least a running pre-alpha right ?

Quote:
The idea came to us after we finished a other project.
What other project is this ? :hmm:

Quote:
The first idea was a ww1 biplane simulation. By the way there are less games about the first world war and so we decide to develop a submarine game with more arcade and less simulation.
Hmm, is this really the only reason you picked WWI subs ? I mean how much personal interest is behind it ?

Quote:
I didn't know how much simulation we got into the game...
You mean you do not know how realistic the game will turn out ?

Quote:
I belive rondo medias "shell of fury" is the only submarine game in this age (I only see some screenshots).
So far it'S the only available one, as far as I can see. Besides my own project there was another one that got abandoned however. So right now we are probably the only newcomer left

Quote:
For my self i have played Silent Hunter 2 years ago.
But not SHIII or IV ? :hmm:

Quote:
Are you guys students or something ?

Quote:
That's what I also always need. I tried to research this particular subject for, I think more than 4 years now. But the results were usually meager. Most of the time it was a time consuming and painstacking process to find and puzzle together information fragments. I never came across an not even nearly complete documentation of the WWI subs interiours. You have picked one of the most difficult to research subjects, imo. But after some years and a general study of u-boat technology I gained an understanding of the subject that might allow me to recreate something more authentical. Good luck!

btw if you want technical details you can brows my forum which contains planty of them.

Quote:
Ok, here are 3 pictures from the project - i made them very tiny so you can not see any details and discuss about the poor graphics
Ah, comon give us some real screenshots, so that we can see the details and discuss the poor graphics

The small thumbnails look neat, btw.
Old 03-31-08, 04:56 AM   #7
Sung
Developer

No, you can control a submarine and some ships are swimming around. It is a technical demo, no game.

What other project is this ?
A round based strategy game - not available yet.

Hmm, is this really the only reason you picked WWI subs ? I mean how much personal interest is behind it ?

We are personal interest in simulations, any kind.

Yes, because we wan't to write a computer game not a military simulation. If you mean Silent Service or others are simulations of a realy submarine, then we create a simulator. (Maybe it is a game simualtion, but no career modus, no missions, no crew management or such things.)

So far it'S the only available one, as far as I can see. Besides my own project there was another one that got abandoned however. So right now we are probably the only newcomer left
Every Game has it's own game mechanic an game play. I don't know how good our product will be, if it will be finished.

But not SHIII or IV ?
No. I personal have rare time for playing other games. The last game i played was CoD4.

No, normal adult workers

That's what I also always need. I tried to research this particular subject for, I think more than 4 years now. But the results were usually meager. Most of the time it was a time consuming and painstacking process to find and puzzle together information fragments. I never came across an not even nearly complete documentation of the WWI subs interiours. You have picked one of the most difficult to research subjects, imo. But after some years and a general study of u-boat technology I gained an understanding of the subject that might allow me to recreate something more authentical. Good luck!

Thank you, thats one of the reasons in my opinion why it is difficult to make a "real" and authentic simulation.

btw if you want technical details you can brows my forum which contains planty of them.

Thank you deamon, it is interesting stuff.

Ah, comon give us some real screenshots, so that we can see the details and discuss the poor graphics

Sorry, but i can not show something that is changed every day. If there are some interesting aspects in the development i would be proud to show it here.

(i hope anybody can understand this english )
Old 04-07-08, 01:39 PM   #8
Sung
Developer

The project is going further. All elements of the submarine stearing are working fine. The canon is not added yet. The water is
working but not finished.

Last edited by Sung; 04-12-08 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-07-08, 10:26 PM   #9
Deamon
Commodore

Sweet!

It's always thrilling to see this boats in action.

But you guys really don't need to be so shy and can post bigger screenshots!

Quote:
No, you can control a submarine and some ships are swimming around. It is a technical demo, no game.
I thought that is what the term pre-alpha means. The earliest playable stage of a game, even if it's just a vehicle that you can steer in an else empty environment.

Quote:
What other project is this ?
A round based strategy game - not available yet.
Ahh, loved them so much back then. Still a big civilisation fan. In which time frame does it play ?

Is that other project finished at least ?

BTW: How are your games supposed to be released, freeware or something ?

Quote:
Yes, because we wan't to write a computer game not a military simulation. If you mean Silent Service or others are simulations of a realy submarine, then we create a simulator. (Maybe it is a game simualtion, but no career modus, no missions, no crew management or such things.)
no missions and no carrer mode ? What is the player supposed to play if not missions ? :hmm:

Quote:
Every Game has it's own game mechanic an game play.
Very true.

Quote:
But not SHIII or IV ?
No. I personal have rare time for playing other games.
Same here.

Quote:
No, normal adult workers
But IT workers or something ?

Quote:
Thank you, thats one of the reasons in my opinion why it is difficult to make a "real" and authentic simulation.
Too true. After all it is only an approximation and interpolation if you want to keep the efforts within a reasonable. You can of course keep researching and study for years and years and get more and more out of it but this is for real subject nuts. Basically people like me

I actually do not shy away from any extra effort to squeeze even the last droplet of authenticity from the history records. So my own project do not have a time table or shedule. We are real neat pickers and keep it cooking over the years till we got it to the point where we cannot spot any blatant errors and can't but keep smiling when looking at it. We keep polishing it till it shines like a diomand.

For me it is very thrilling to explore and recreate the past era in an virtual environment, the technology, the look of the old cities(we try to recreate even them. At least the major cities and ports will not be generic), ports and coasts, the flair, charm and spirit of this time. The work alone is very satisfying for me. When you have recreated a new thing and now that is how it has looked like, this is what thrills me about this work so much. At the end the player is supposed to be eloped into an other past era. But this type of development takes its time toll.

Quote:

Thank you deamon, it is interesting stuff.
If you like I can also give some advice to avoid eventual blatant errors if you will show me some stuff from time to time. I would consider my self as very knowledgable on this subject. I cannot compromise everything I have yet but I can surely help to avoid blatant inaccuracies of which SOF was a bit to full of for my neat picker taste.

Quote:

Sorry, but i can not show something that is changed every day. If there are some interesting aspects in the development i would be proud to show it here.
Well I do not expect you to maintain here dev diaries but it is always nice to see how a game progresses and compare how it has looked like at the beginning when it's finished. It is nice to see how a child is growing and maturing doesn't it ?

You do not have to be so shy. This is an indi forum, you are forgiven here.

There were a bunch of projects here on display long before you came here, projects that are gone now. It always was a tradition here to showcase very unfinished game states and as far as I can see so far not a single indi game got ever finished here. So when someone comes here he expect to see games in an early development state, so naturally this forum is very forgiving towards very unfinished games

And your project is about WWI! That alone makes is worth to see even the earliest results. So the next time I expect to see a screenshot resolution of at least 800X600. I have a 22" widescreen here so everything looks even smaller. I can hardly see any details. Give me something to bitch about

Also by the tradition and spirit that the founder projects(which mostly faded away now) of this forum has formed, it was rather an open communication channel between developers, rather then between developers and the their audiance. Where the developers went to, to discuss their work with fellow developers, to get constructive feedback and exchange ideas and tips, well and where the audience had the chance to look the devs over the shoulder to get glimpses on what they are doing. So showing half cooked stuff was the actual purpose of this forum.

Ahhh, I have very fond memories of this spirit. It helped me to grow and gave me the critical courage to start my own bold and ambitious undertaking. I mean I think I am the only remnant of the old indi guard here. I spent my happy online childhood here, since this was the first forum I ever signed in. Boy, I was so shy back then that it took me a year before I finally became a member here and started to post.

I am the guardian of this spirit and tradition here so all indis are invited to show off and discuss their humble results.

I would like to keep this spirit and tradition alive to encourage other indis to step into the light and show what they have.

And after all I am glad to have a fellow WWI project at this forum that is open for discussions. It's always great to compare your work with that of others.

Last edited by Deamon; 04-07-08 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-08-08, 12:18 AM   #10
Deamon
Commodore

Quote:
The project is going further. All elements of the submarine stearing are working fine. The canon is not added yet. The water is working but not finished
BTW: Will there be any demos for the world long prior any release ?

Quote:

U19 series
Sweet! Is this U 19 playable ?

Who is making this models ?

Quote:
The tower is with a cotton spray protection (no metal).
Cotton ? Was the canvas made of cotton ?

BTW: Will there be a website in the near future ?
Old 04-08-08, 04:55 AM   #11
Sung
Developer

Oh that is a really big discussion, i hope i can answer all points.
The spray shield was made of "Flachs" is that canvas? I don't know. The submarine in the game is U-21. It has a interesting livetime, but we look for a intersting project Name and U-21 sound better than other typenames. By the way, the only area is in the north sea, atlantic. No mediterranean sea, the last operation area of U-21.

I made all the gfx for the game. The programming and game mechanics are made by my friend.

The game action is short to explain:
Your monitor a fictitious sea area, receive orders and tries to generate as much tonnage as possible to sink without itself to be submerged. Are your stocks of materials, etc.. Exhausted, you can hit with a supply ship...

We won't to make the game short to develop. Our goal is the game as quickly as possible to get ready.

My friend is a programmer. I'm working as administrator.
Old 04-08-08, 02:07 PM   #12
Sung
Developer

Here is a little render of the game model (2100 poly, 512 x 512 pix texture, time to built ~20 hours, texture included) that you see on the screens above.
I've made it with the less informations that i found about the series U-19 to U-23.
Please go not to hard in details By the way it is the first submarine model i have built ever.

Last edited by Sung; 04-12-08 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-08-08, 05:24 PM   #13
Deamon
Commodore

Quote:
The spray shield was made of "Flachs" is that canvas?
Hmm, I have to check this.

You say that:
Quote:
By the way, the only area is in the north sea, atlantic.
But then also say that:
Quote:
The game action is short to explain:
Your monitor a fictitious sea area
How can the north sea be fictious ?

Quote:
receive orders and tries to generate as much tonnage as possible to sink without itself to be submerged.
And what will happen when you submerge ? Will the game end then ?

Quote:
Are your stocks of materials, etc.. Exhausted, you can hit with a supply ship...
Does that mean that there will be no naval bases to which you can return ? And will there be terrain at all ?

Quote:
We won't to make the game short to develop. Our goal is the game as quickly as possible to get ready.
Yes, but don't forget that the game need to make fun and expect the grognards to fall all over you because it is too arcadish, if they will ever care about it at all.
Old 04-08-08, 05:37 PM   #14
Deamon
Commodore

Quote:

Here is a little render of the game model (2100 poly, 512 x 512 pix texture, time to built ~20 hours, texture included) that you see on the screens above.
I've made it with the less informations that i found about the series U-19 to U-23.
Please go not to hard in details By the way it is the first submarine model i have built ever.
Nice Sung!

At least it looks appealing despite some... never mind. Do you want some feedback on the errors in the model ?

Do you have blue prints of this boat ?

I much like the texture but I think you made the color to dark. It must be a bride gray and in the med it would be a bluish bride gray.
Old 04-08-08, 09:16 PM   #15
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Hello Deamon,
i don't wont to promote the project to much, because we are far away from a running game. The idea came to us after we finished a other project. The first idea was a ww1 biplane simulation. By the way there are less games about the first world war and so we decide to develop a submarine game with more arcade and less simulation. I didn't know how much simulation we got into the game... I belive rondo medias "shell of fury" is the only submarine game in this age (I only see some screenshots). For my self i have played Silent Hunter 2 years ago.

Were you affiliated with the team that worked on "Project 25"? That was another WWI U-Boat sim that was unfortunately cancelled. The interesting thing is, that team had also tried to produce a WWI flight sim before they tried to produce their submarine game.

Very nice screenshots, but I agree that they should be much bigger.
iambecomelife is online   Reply With Quote