SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-18-21, 06:16 PM   #3436
dy88jr
Nub

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0
Default cant download

I am having some trouble downloading the mod i can down load any other mod on sub sim but when i click the download button for this mod it refuses to start the download
dy88jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-21, 06:23 PM   #3437
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dy88jr View Post
I am having some trouble downloading the mod i can down load any other mod on sub sim but when i click the download button for this mod it refuses to start the download
you are probably using chrome, correct?

try IE or Edge or Opera.
there is "something" going around with chrome and downloads at this site. you are not alone in having difficulties.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-21, 06:43 PM   #3438
apd1004
Nub

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dy88jr View Post
Try right-clicking on the download prompt (instead of left-clicking), then choose "open link in new window". Works on my Chrome that way.
apd1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-21, 06:50 PM   #3439
apd1004
Nub

Default Sonarman repeats "Passing Thermal Layer" when surfaced

Hi all,

Trying out SH4 for the first time in about a decade. I am using the following mods over a fresh SH4 1.5 install:

FOTRS 1.46
Nippon Maru 1.2.1
DrJester's Environmental Overhaul - Starry Night UHD
TMOMapContacts for FOTRS

The game appears to be running fine upon launch with all mods active. In career mode as I set sail in an S Boat from Manila on 9 December 41, the sonarman keeps repeating "Passing Thermal Layer" about every 10 seconds. I'm on the surface too. I'm about ready to launch him out a torpedo tube.

I tried searching the forums for this but nothing stood out.

Before I start deactivating mods I figured maybe somebody knows of a quick fix.

Any ideas?
Old 06-18-21, 09:59 PM   #3440
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Hey there apd1004. You will have to de-activate all of the mods, then delete all of the files out of "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH". You should be OK to keep the install, but you definitely MUST empty the Save folder. Re-activate FotRSU v1.46 and immediately thereafter, right-click on the SH4.exe file, choose "Properties" at the bottom of the resultant menu, and be certain that the "Read-only" tick box is clear under the "Attributes" section of the "General" tab. Now use the "Large Address Aware" app, and point it at that SH4.exe file, and set it to enabled ("True"), so that Windows knows that SH4.exe can address more RAM. After that, you can activate "Nippon Maru 1.2.1" and "DrJester's Environmental Overhaul - Starry Night UHD", but whatever you do, do NOT use "TMOMapContacts for FOTRS" with FotRSU v1.46 - they are NOT the same mod. FOTRS is Fall of the Rising Sun by AOTD_MadMax and his team - good stuff, don't get me wrong, and it is what FotRSU is based upon, but FotRSU is Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate, to differentiate it from MadMax's original. We had plans for a couple of FotRSU tracking mods, but ran into some complicated (for us) issues much more important to deal with... - Hopefully, in a few months, we will have gotten time to do those.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 06-18-21 at 10:27 PM.
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-21, 04:16 AM   #3441
apd1004
Nub

That did the trick, thanks! So it was TMOMapcontacts for FOTR conflicting with FOTRU that was the issue then.

Forgot to mention in my OP, but I already had LAA enabled.

So simply just deactivating TMOMapcontacts wouldn't have done it, or deactivating all mods then reactivating the ones I want? Just wondering under what circumstances I have to go through deleting the save folders. Might be an issue once I have a career going to throw it all away every time I want to make a change or if a mod causes issues.

Thanks again!
Old 06-19-21, 06:58 AM   #3442
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

That is the one thing about the game that is really inconvenient, in that once the Save folder is corrupted, it is done for, and has to be deleted. The TMO map contacts does not include all of the ships of FotRSU, and has different names for others, so that is what causes the issue. The game does not take all of its information to run from the game folder, but mostly from the Save folder instead. This is part of what allows a person to mod the game, in that you are working with a "copy" of sorts with data in the Save folder. However, with mods and the way JSGME and Windows works, existing files are not over-written if they already exist, so when you first mod the game, this is the reason you have to empty the Save folder. Then, if you remove the mod, you have to do the same to go back to "normal" data. You can sometimes get away with just removing a mod and everything will be OK, but in this case, the bad data stays and interferes with the game.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-21, 12:19 PM   #3443
FotRSU Mod Team
Team Leader

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 3

This is also posted on Page One of the thread, as a "Spoiler" near the bottom of the page:

This Preview version is for the adventurous and young at heart
THIS IS NOT A FINISHED PRODUCT

This is a link to the "Preview" of the next release of Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate. Included in the mod is the Add-In Modz Pak, with some new ones to try. This initially is a split archive of 3 parts split at 650MB. You do need to download all 3 of the parts and use 7-Zip for reassembly and unzipping by opening "100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_Preview16.7z.001" , which will then pull in "100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_Preview16.7z. 002" and "100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_Preview16.7z. 003" for assembly, and make the full mod "100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_Preview16", which you then activate from the MODS folder. We will have a single download link in a day or two. The ReadMe follows:

FotRSU_PreviewVersion.txt
-------------------------

The purpose of the PreviewVersion of the mod is to allow players to test what we have thus for for IJN H6 radar and AirStrike capabilities, as well as a few other fixes, and for any and all modders to have a look at what the next regular release of the mod entails, especially for the submarines, as they relate to modding efforts to dress things up for those that want even more out of the modded game. Of particular note for them are these changes:

1. All submarines have been changed, including the AI surface boats. There are still problems with engine sounds on several.

2. The Tench is now a completely different version, based upon ETR3(SS)'s Tench mod, edited to conform to FotRSU by s7rikeback, with the conning tower integrated into the hull by propbeanie. The reason for this significant change will become obvious shortly. Thankfully, the interior mod should still function on it for the most part, and no additional interior work was added by the FotRSU team, so it is "plain" as compared to the original FotRSU Tench. Notice the lack of a UnitParts file in the UPCUnitData folder for the Tench.

3. The Narwhal now calls the Narwhal skin, all conn calls are the same.

4. The Salmon and Sargo now call the SalmonSargo_02 conn. The Salmon skins' names are changed to match the dat calls.

5. The Tambor now calls the Tambor_02 conn

6. All sub UnitParts files are changed. All eqp files are changed - mostly for the flags and a flag mod - but there are other changes here. The plan is for the flags to be changd in the future. Note that the Tambor, Gar, and Gato all have issues with the 40mm guns and the conn cigarette deck flagpoles. We are leaving this for now, but definitely looks having the gun fouled by the pole... We did not incorporate Bubblehead1980's ladder change.

7. There is a new player-controlled submarine, the Cachalot Class. The submarine is based on the Porpoise, but re-sized. All sorts of bits and pieces had to be re-arranged and / or changed to get this to function in the game, including merging the conn and hull together to stay below the 9 count in the UnitParts files. Future plans demanded another "merge", hence the Tench was also merged. It is anticipated that the Porpoise / Narwhal interior should be close enough, but... that remains to be seen.

8. There are some corrections to the campaign files, as well as several PatrolObjectives files, in addition to a few other changes, including re-worked AI subs in the Sea folder. Other changes are too numerous to name in this little ReadMe, but will be expounded upon for the full release. We did leave the torpedo textures alone in the game, since we cannot find where CapnScurvy got his Menu folder dds files from, but I am almost certain there was a set of torpedo skins he had for what he put in the menu. I just haven't found any sign of it yet.

9. There are additions to the AddInModzPak, so check those out. The "logo" mods have not been changed yet. Most of the others remain the same. There are plans for further additions to the Add-In Pak, but if anyone wants to undertake map icons or targeting or any one of a number of add-ins, you are more than welcome to, and we can incorporate those into the Pak, giving proper credit to the author(s). Thank you!

pb

PS: We probably forgot to mention something important. Just let us know please! Thank you!
Of particular note here is the fact that you will have to wait for Canonicus, flaminus, vickers03 and any others to check their mods' compatibility, and or make them compliant. Some of the mods will entail a LOT of work for them, so be patient.

This is for evaluation purposes, and you do need a fresh SH4 v1.5 install and an empty Save folder. Please let us know of any issues encountered in this thread. This is tentatively scheduled to be a v1.6x release, with the "x" as to the build number. We would like to keep that number low... lol
Old 06-19-21, 02:48 PM   #3444
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Is FOTRSU exclusively downloaded from the Downloads page of Subsim.com? Or are there or would you allow alternative mirror sources?

Last edited by Pisces; 06-19-21 at 03:41 PM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-21, 03:33 PM   #3445
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Default mission that fails at the start

PB & S7rikeback,

there is a Philippines mission, Insertion Spy Philippines 06, which fails when you click on the orders-map.

it is failing because there are too many words/characters in the Mission Briefing. i could swear that i posted about the CTD previously but i cannot find the post(s). Grrr.

anyway, if this mission in not on your change list then please add it to the list.

i edited the verbiage down to 117 words and 503 chars and it seems to work.
well, i got to the orders-map, which is a step in the right direction.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-21, 08:53 PM   #3446
SonnySmiles
Monsun Gruppe

Downloads: 217

Hey all newbie here
I downloaded the mod and it works perfectly
One issue I have is that when playing the German campaign the radar always randomly turns on
Is there a way I can sort this?
Thanks in advance
SonnySmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-21, 08:57 PM   #3447
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

SonnySmiles! & apd1004!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-19-21 at 09:24 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-21, 09:11 PM   #3448
SonnySmiles
Monsun Gruppe

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
SonnySmiles!
Thankyou and hello my friend
Old 06-19-21, 09:48 PM   #3449
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnySmiles View Post
Hey all newbie here
I downloaded the mod and it works perfectly
One issue I have is that when playing the German campaign the radar always randomly turns on
Is there a way I can sort this?
Thanks in advance
Ahoy, SonnySmiles...

Just to clarify... FotRS is of the U.S. fleetboat service.. NOT the kriegsmarine branch of Uboats...

If you want to dole about in Uboats, as well as in U.S. subs... may I suggest making a 2nd copy of pristine, unmodded SH4, then adding in multish4.. to set up a separate game save folder. And then see of adding in Operation Monsun: Dark Waters by Fifi, found here:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=243322

Hopefully, this helps...

M. M.

Old 06-19-21, 10:37 PM   #3450
SonnySmiles
Monsun Gruppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Ahoy, SonnySmiles...

Just to clarify... FotRS is of the U.S. fleetboat service.. NOT the kriegsmarine branch of Uboats...

If you want to dole about in Uboats, as well as in U.S. subs... may I suggest making a 2nd copy of pristine, unmodded SH4, then adding in multish4.. to set up a separate game save folder. And then see of adding in Operation Monsun: Dark Waters by Fifi, found here:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=243322

Hopefully, this helps...

M. M.

Thankyou I will give this ago muchly appreciated
And was playing the American campaign earlier and just wow great has been done even on the German side too