SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-08-19, 04:48 AM   #1351
ErdiFerenc
Young fox with old tricks

Downloads: 186
Uploads: 0
Default Normal map issue

Hi!
Kapuhy unfortunatelly i dont know the solution for your problem, but I still have got one too.
I luckily imported the Seehund 3d model and added the Diffuse and the AO map, but as I tried the normal map, a strange problem appeared:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ccd...ew?usp=sharing

Do someone know the solution?
Thanks!
ErdiFerenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 09:32 AM   #1352
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
[...] if I delete even a single vertice in Blender and then try to export the model again with exactly the same settings as before, I get "un expected token encountered" error.

[...]

What's funny - if I delete faces in Blender, export/import still works with those settings (despite the fact that deleting faces also destroys some vertices).
That's weird indeed. I suspect a file formatting issue, similar to what you have recently encountered with Gr2 Editor, but probably skwasjer will have a better idea on what can cause that kind of error.

An answer by him might take a while though, as he doesn't visit the forum too often. In the meanwhile, have you tried using the same workaround I had suggested to you in the Gr2E thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErdiFerenc View Post
Hi!
[...] I luckily imported the Seehund 3d model and added the Diffuse and the AO map, but as I tried the normal map, a strange problem appeared::

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ccd...ew?usp=sharing
Hi ErdiFerenc, nice project! If you want some feedback on your problem I suggest you to post another screenshot showing it more clearly, maybe accompanied by a verbal description. From the picture you have linked, I can clearly see that your new unit is nearly finished, but I have an hard time at seeing the normal map issue you are talking about
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 02:18 PM   #1353
ErdiFerenc

Hi,
thanks for the answer.
Is the resolution too low or what is the matter?
So some more screens:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1od...8Ej6M8YGYjYcAU

If i enable the normal map a strange white line appears on the hull.On one side of the line is the normal map good, but on the other side it is inverted.I looks like the silent hunter can not decide which side of the hull is up and which down and balls up the normal map.
Thanks
Old 12-08-19, 05:36 PM   #1354
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If that turm and other on-deck equipment are supposed to be on the submarine that is in the "water", then the node placements are "off" and the numbering relationships for such needs to be changed. However, the same problem exists in all of your screen grabs there that gap was referring to before, in that all the pictures have the same basic "perspective", in that it looks like the turm and deck gun etc., might be "stuck" to the top of your screen. If you could pull the camera back a bit further, so a person can see an overall of the sub in an image, and maybe do a close-up from the conn on the submarine, showing the relationship between it and what appears to be a turm "floating" in the sky?...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 09:05 AM   #1355
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErdiFerenc View Post
Hi,
thanks for the answer.
Is the resolution too low or what is the matter?
So some more screens:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1od...8Ej6M8YGYjYcAU

If i enable the normal map a strange white line appears on the hull.On one side of the line is the normal map good, but on the other side it is inverted.I looks like the silent hunter can not decide which side of the hull is up and which down and balls up the normal map.
Thanks
Hi again ErdiFerenc,

unfortunately making a diagnosis of your problem based on the pictures you have posted, is not an easy task. I see the white line on the port side of the hull (if I got you correctly that's your main issue), but it doesn't look like anything I have seen before. Provided that the 3D mesh you have imported is not flawed by some topological error which is worsened by the use of a normal map, the following tutorial on SH4 normal mapping might be of some use to you:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...61&postcount=1

That's about all I can say without actually seeing your files. If you send them to me I might be able to offer you a better assistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
If that turm and other on-deck equipment are supposed to be on the submarine that is in the "water", then the node placements are "off" and the numbering relationships for such needs to be changed. However, the same problem exists in all of your screen grabs there that gap was referring to before, in that all the pictures have the same basic "perspective", in that it looks like the turm and deck gun etc., might be "stuck" to the top of your screen. If you could pull the camera back a bit further, so a person can see an overall of the sub in an image, and maybe do a close-up from the conn on the submarine, showing the relationship between it and what appears to be a turm "floating" in the sky?...
Hi propbeanie,

I think ErdiFerenc's unit is still a WIP. That floating conning tower seems to me a leftover from the submarine that he used as template for importing the Seehund, but let's focus on the normal map problem first
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 05:12 PM   #1356
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Hi propbeanie,

I think ErdiFerenc's unit is still a WIP. That floating conning tower seems to me a leftover from the submarine that he used as template for importing the Seehund, but let's focus on the normal map problem first
Aha! That would explain the "floating" turm...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-19, 02:16 PM   #1357
ErdiFerenc

Thank you Gap.
Your private message box is full, so i cannot send anything to you.
Old 12-30-19, 02:21 PM   #1358
ErdiFerenc

Gap could you delete some of your private messages?
thank you
Old 05-30-20, 01:52 PM   #1359
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Downloads: 257
Uploads: 51

Hello:
I am trying to to use the S3D program to modify certain files in SH3 but for some reason I can´t install it. Every time I try it gives me error messages.
The error code is 2503 and 2502
I have Windows 10 installed

Any help with this is most welcome

Thanks.

CapZap

Last edited by CapZap1970; 05-30-20 at 02:01 PM.
CapZap1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 03:54 PM   #1360
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapZap1970 View Post
Hello:
I am trying to to use the S3D program to modify certain files in SH3 but for some reason I can´t install it. Every time I try it gives me error messages.
The error code is 2503 and 2502
I have Windows 10 installed

Any help with this is most welcome

Thanks.

CapZap

the install process is fairly straightforward. don't install from the unzip process.
try moving the zip file to c:\temp. then unzip it there. then launch the msi file.
good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 06:17 PM   #1361
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Downloads: 257
Uploads: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
the install process is fairly straightforward. don't install from the unzip process.
try moving the zip file to c:\temp. then unzip it there. then launch the msi file.
good luck.

No luck. It keeps giving me the same errors msg...

Just dowloaded it again, but it keeps giving me the same error msg. Installed the NET Framework 2.0 and the DirectX 9C as instructed, but no difference...

Last edited by CapZap1970; 05-30-20 at 06:26 PM.
CapZap1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-20, 06:31 AM   #1362
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapZap1970 View Post
No luck. It keeps giving me the same errors msg...

Just dowloaded it again, but it keeps giving me the same error msg. Installed the NET Framework 2.0 and the DirectX 9C as instructed, but no difference...

These are the requisites for the program as it appears in the readme:

------------------
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

* Windows 2000, Windows XP (32/64 bit), Windows Vista (32/64 bit)
* Computer capable of running Silent Hunter

IMPORTANT: The installer included in this package does NOT install the required components listed below. Please use the links to download the components if you don't have them installed on your computer:

* Microsoft .NET 2.0

Vista users can skip this component (.NET 2 comes out of the box with Vista).

For 32-bit editions of Windows:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

For 64-bit editions of Windows:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=B44A0000-ACF8-4FA1-AFFB-40E78D788B00&displaylang=en

* Microsoft DirectX 9.0c (Managed)

---------------------

You should run DirectX 9.0c even if you have a later version, so files that the program needs get installed.

XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-20, 08:05 AM   #1363
DanielCoffey
Planesman

Downloads: 5

I am struggling to understand how to Export an entire ship to an OBJ file using S3D.

When I select the parent node of the .dat, the Export - 3D Model option is greyed out. If I move down the list to select the node that displays the ship in the render window, the Export - 3D Model is still greyed out. If I drill down and select a component of the ship such as the hull I can now Export -3d Model but of course I only get that part.

How do I export the entire model please?
Old 05-31-20, 09:55 AM   #1364
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCoffey View Post
I am struggling to understand how to Export an entire ship to an OBJ file using S3D.

When I select the parent node of the .dat, the Export - 3D Model option is greyed out. If I move down the list to select the node that displays the ship in the render window, the Export - 3D Model is still greyed out. If I drill down and select a component of the ship such as the hull I can now Export -3d Model but of course I only get that part.

How do I export the entire model please?

I don't think you can export an single node, you can export the 'raw' node which will only contain the header values. But you can export the entire dat file which is rather useless because you would have to remove a lot of nodes afterwards, so I don't see how useful it is.

What you must do is: Instead of exporting / importing, first you define child values, then you can copy-paste from another open file and adjust the index and parent numbers. That's what I did when adding torpedos to a playable ship.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-20, 10:00 AM   #1365
DanielCoffey
Planesman

Downloads: 5

What I am hoping to do is export the entire ship and then view it in Blender in one operation. I won't be moving anything around on it.
At the moment it appears that I have to Export each part of the 3D Model individually then Import them into Blender as a group.

I did notice that the funnels are set to the same 0,0,0 as the hull but the deck accessories all have their own origin point and have to be put into place on the deck in Blender. It is almost like having to do your own Airfix Kit!