SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: SSN-774 Virginia to replace 688i Improved LA in DW?
Yes 93 61.59%
No 58 38.41%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-06, 06:36 AM   #1
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Default SSN-774 Virginia to replace 668i LA Improved?

I did a quick paint job on my SSN-774 model and chucked it into DW, replacing the 688i model to see how it looks. The good news is that just replacing the 688i model the torp tubes are in the right place and the vls tubes need moving just a little forward.

The masts are in the wrong place though.

Using the sacrifice a vessel technique what do you say to having the Virginia class replace the 688i class?

I would need to make a whole new object in the database though.

I'dd have to pinch a couple fo the Seawolfs station dlls like the sonar and ship control stations though the rest woudl stay the same.

Looks pretty good imho if I say so myself.
Old 09-10-06, 03:15 PM   #2
awood6535
A-ganger

Downloads: 0

hell that would be cool Can you post us a pic please? If you want I could mabe do some editing after having it and move the mast to the right space to save you some time. It's all up to you .

Last edited by awood6535; 09-10-06 at 03:18 PM.
awood6535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 04:21 AM   #3
aaken
Planesman

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 1

I'm all for it.
Would be cool to see a picture or two of your model.
Old 09-11-06, 06:59 AM   #4
Driftwood
Chief

Let me get this straight........you will swap out the 688i with a Virginia class boat, using the SW stations............Sounds really cool! But don't forget that several parameters would need to be altered as well. NL's, operating depth, etc.
Old 09-17-06, 02:52 PM   #5
Pingjockey
Sailor man

I would have no problems helping with any technical info. I would love to see the 688 go away....

STS1 Michael Granito
USS Texas SSN-775
Pingjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-06, 05:29 PM   #6
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Yep and my model at the moment has no moving doors for torp tubes or VLS and I don't know if it is really worth it.

I'll speak to Luftwolf and see if he'd like to do it. It would mean DW would be changed for ever in the Luft mod if he chose to incorporate it.
Old 09-18-06, 08:52 AM   #7
hyperion2206
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 8

It would be great to play the Virgina class, but I would hate to lose the 688i model. But I suppose there's no other way to incorporate the Virgina and still keep the 688i?
hyperion2206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 03:24 PM   #8
Dr.Sid
The Old Man

Downloads: 6

All this is forbiden by Sonalyst anyway. No new playables. This is just a hack how to make new playable. I discurage you from doing. New sub would not add much fun anyway.
Dr.Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 05:20 PM   #9
Driftwood
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sid
All this is forbiden by Sonalyst anyway. No new playables. This is just a hack how to make new playable. I discurage you from doing. New sub would not add much fun anyway.
So, are you saying that modding a game is just a hack? A lot of game devs (including SCS) encourage modder's in the community to make the game better (by whatever means) because, for financial reasons, they cannot spend more time or money on them.
Old 10-16-06, 09:40 PM   #10
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Well, if it was my call, I'd replace the Seawolf with the Virginia. After all, there are only 3 Seawolves in service.
Old 10-17-06, 03:29 AM   #11
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Dr Sid,

Replacing the 688i with the Virginia would be a database hack. This would be acceptable with SCS as it is a zero sum mod. Only the dbase is affected. what SCS are against is a mod where the exe file is altered to allow playables which don't require a sacrifice of an existing playable unit.
Old 11-14-06, 12:03 PM   #12
DanWilkie
Swabbie

Downloads: 2

I take it from the overtone of this topic, my chances of having the option to replace the OHP with a Type 23 or similar are approximately 0 then :'( You'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge, I'm new to DW Maybe one day developers will remember the British exist too
DanWilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-06, 02:20 PM   #13
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

While it might be an inferior fit, I'd sacrifice something else than the 688Is, which will still be the American backbone for a good bit yet. Perhaps you can use one of the two Akula II slots for this instead. Or one of the many Kilo slots. It'd be a bit funny looking for an American sub in a nominally Russian/Chinese slot, but...
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-06, 12:54 PM   #14
tonibamestre
中国水兵

Downloads: 82

Hi Xabbarus,
I read about your SSN Virginia development,and I have to tell that its an important improvement.We all know that Virginia class will replace LA class,but this is going to be made step by step.
If you talk with Aaken,I think he has got the trick to make possible both subs to be controlable,at least is what is doing with the upcoming mod Alfa Tau3,so you can implement the Virginia class with no problem at all.

By the way,when do you expect to get ready this amazing unit? And what about an Ohio SSBN and the converted ones?
Are you going to post it here downloadable?

Cheers and good job.
tonibamestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 08:19 AM   #15
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonibamestre
Hi Xabbarus,
I read about your SSN Virginia development,and I have to tell that its an important improvement.We all know that Virginia class will replace LA class,but this is going to be made step by step.
If you talk with Aaken,I think he has got the trick to make possible both subs to be controlable,at least is what is doing with the upcoming mod Alfa Tau3,so you can implement the Virginia class with no problem at all.

By the way,when do you expect to get ready this amazing unit? And what about an Ohio SSBN and the converted ones?
Are you going to post it here downloadable?

Cheers and good job.
Which is completely against the EULA and the express request of Jamie not to add new playable units. I won't have anything to do with that. Also is Aaken has mannaged to make new playables without sacrificing an existing one, and the only way to do it is by hacking the exe and dlls, he is breaking the law and the trust of SCS.

Yes it was done with SCX, which SCS didn't realise what was going on till it was done. At that time we didn't realise we were doing something we shouldn't have been doing. That is why for DW Jamie expressley forbade us from modding beyond alterations to the database, doctrines and models.

You might moan that since SCS haven't released a package with new playables that it is OK and inevitable for other groups to make them. I disagree. SCS's business plan, flawed as it maybe, required them to make an addon pack should sales of DW suffice. That they havn't doesn't make it ok to go off and do it yourself.