SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-20-17, 11:37 AM   #166
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBot View Post
That is not correct, proportional navigation against a non-maneuvering target is a straight line to intercept. See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proportional_navigation

Got it, Thanks. Learned something new.
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-17, 12:40 PM   #167
Wiz33
Navy Dude

I posted this on the steam forum awhile back but before anyone ask for more realism (unless it's optional). read this thread:

It's hardcore players why this genre is dead

http://steamcommunity.com/app/541210...0934291143643/

Last edited by Wiz33; 07-23-17 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-23-17, 08:16 AM   #168
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Is that link working?
Old 07-23-17, 01:08 PM   #169
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Is that link working?
Fixed
Old 07-24-17, 02:06 PM   #170
Haukka81
Medic

Downloads: 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz33 View Post
I posted this on the steam forum awhile back but before anyone ask for more realism (unless it's optional). read this thread:

Good post!

Agree 99%
Haukka81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-17, 04:18 PM   #171
kramxel
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz33 View Post

So your logis is that "hardcore" sim gamers are small enough and unable to support a full sim, but are large enough to create bad rep on simcade games?
I really don't see it.

Reality is, companies prefer the short therm profit (selling x copies of Arcade v30, and selling v31 the next year) over developing something that the "hardcore" player base would actually support financially over time.

See what DCS is doing with flight sims, and you'll figure out there's plenty of market after all.

P.S: This post has nothing to do with Cold Waters.
Old 07-24-17, 04:28 PM   #172
PL_Harpoon
Engineer

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 4

Here's a post that has something to do with Cold Waters.

I've just released a new version of my realism mod.

You can get it here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5268

I'd like this thread to be focused mainly on things that can be improved in the game, so I've created a separate thread just for the mod here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...84#post2502484

PS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramxel View Post
So your logis is that "hardcore" sim gamers are small enough and unable to support a full sim, but are large enough to create bad rep on simcade games?
I really don't see it.

Reality is, companies prefer the short therm profit (selling x copies of Arcade v30, and selling v31 the next year) over developing something that the "hardcore" player base would actually support financially over time.

See what DCS is doing with flight sims, and you'll figure out there's plenty of market after all.
My thoughts exactly with one exception: in my opinion the sad truth is that hardcore sims can't really provide enough profits to satisfy big publishers. It's not that bad though as independent developers seem to be more capable with each year.
PL_Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-17, 08:12 PM   #173
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Is that link working?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramxel View Post
I really don't see it.

P.S: This post has nothing to do with Cold Waters.
But it wasn't always that way. SSI and SimCan basically built their whole company around wargames, Falcon series made Spectrum Holobyte. Micropose had enough success with M1 tank platoon and Gunship to keep going, EA felt it's well worth the money they shell out for the Janes name. Origin got in on the action with Strike Commander and even the European software house like DID came in with TFX and EF2000. Sure, Console games are selling more and more but there was still a healthy market for military sim until it got so complicated that it start turning all except the hardcore gamer away. The early sims while being fairly simple, manage to draw in people with just a passing interest in military matters but as all the sims got more complicated and we lost the entry level sims. The learning curve became too steep for a lot of them.

Last edited by Wiz33; 07-24-17 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-24-17, 11:57 PM   #174
yamato9
Lieutenant

Downloads: 115

There is one simple solution which dates back to the C64 era.....Easy, medium, hard. It eliminates strife between casual and hardcore players.

For instance, Il2 sturmovik had a such options that you could set very easy gameplay, or if you wish you could ruin your nerves with realistic plane behavior, no external views, no markers etc...

By my opinion one of most important traits of simulation or any other game is openness and simplicity for modding. SCS software (Euro Truck Simulator series) live from this feature more than a decade now and they have truckload of customers. On other hand King of the road and Rig n Roll were quickly gone to oblivion because poor support and rigidness toward any modding except sounds.

Last edited by yamato9; 07-25-17 at 12:31 AM.
yamato9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-17, 10:10 AM   #175
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamato9 View Post
There is one simple solution which dates back to the C64 era.....Easy, medium, hard. It eliminates strife between casual and hardcore players.

For instance, Il2 sturmovik had a such options that you could set very easy gameplay, or if you wish you could ruin your nerves with realistic plane behavior, no external views, no markers etc...

By my opinion one of most important traits of simulation or any other game is openness and simplicity for modding. SCS software (Euro Truck Simulator series) live from this feature more than a decade now and they have truckload of customers. On other hand King of the road and Rig n Roll were quickly gone to oblivion because poor support and rigidness toward any modding except sounds.
My initial post was in response to someone over at the steam forum that insist on calling CW an arcade game and not a sim. It's just a cautionary tale of what happen when we all insist on the most complex and accurate sims. The Genre needs entry level sims that would attract a new players and CW is a good one as witness by messages from new player with minimal experience asking for help and advice. I just want to make sure that we don't add a lot of complexity without making it optional or through mods.

Difficulty level options helps but some sims are so complex that even that won't help with such a deep learning curve like CMANO which is just not accessible to the casual player. While I appreciate all the effort that made CMANO what it is, it just satisfy the hardcore player group and does nothing to bring in new players.
Old 07-27-17, 09:39 AM   #176
blkdimnd
Planesman

Downloads: 492
Default Reloads

Moved to this thread.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

AB1TA
blkdimnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-17, 05:51 PM   #177
Barleyman
Gunner

Downloads: 3

Oh, we had a discussion thread too.. Well, some things are borked, e.g. TLAM strike is unwinnable as it glitches on exit screen.
Barleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-17, 11:33 AM   #178
Spartaner251
Watch

Downloads: 6

about SOKS

http://www.popularmechanics.com/mili...ne-sonar-soks/
Spartaner251 is offline   Reply With Quote