SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-21-17, 01:57 PM   #76
Hawkbill Arriving
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

On the boat that i was on we had the both the towed and the thinline arrays I dont recall any sharks trying to bite them what i do remember is that they had some boyency just to keep them from running afoul of the screw but even so you wouldnt want to do a hard right rudder with a down bubble. and chew on the array with the prop.
Hawkbill Arriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-17, 08:49 AM   #77
Swordsman422
Watch

Downloads: 25

The new interface in 1.07 is awesome. Very convenient to be able to order a depth and course but also be able to drive the sub myself when I need to evade torpedoes.

One thing I would request that has actually made the 1984 campaign a touch frustrating. The Close To option for starting encounters, even 25kyards is a little too close. In a lot of cases I already have the enemy units IDed and at this range I may as well start shooting before I have a polished solution. If the maximum range could be bumped to 40kyards, it would increase the hunting and tactical considerations I'd have to perform. I'm already on the hard difficulty.

I'm loving the 1968 campaign. I'm running in a Thresher/Permit right now. Once you get the trick down of closing in the baffles of an enemy submarine, it's almost child's play sneaking up to <1Kyards and putting a couple Mk. 37's up a November's backside. D/E boats are more challenging. They tend to clear baffles A LOT and sneaking up on them while they run on batteries is tricky.

I look forward to the DLCs. I hope some day we might see a 1962 campaign with the USS Nautilus, USS Seawolf, Skate- and Barbel-classes, and GUPPY conversion D/E boats. I'm also hoping in the future that some of the random encounters in the campaign might be friendly units. Maybe you're waiting on the Norwegian coast for a Soviet amphib force to ride by and you have a sonar contact. After entering the encounter alert and ready to fight, you discover that it's just a Swedish Sjoormen- or Norwegian Kobben-class boat lurking in wait for the same target.

All in all, I'm really having a lot of fun. I've been waiting for a submarine game like this for a long time. Silent Hunter 4 was too early and Dangerous Waters was too late. This one has replaced both on my HDD. Thanks for creating it!
Swordsman422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-17, 09:27 AM   #78
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard firsttime posterS!

Hawkbill Arriving! Swordsman422! Jasonland77! Silvertree88! & Mack2336!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-17, 10:39 AM   #79
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community To The Following > Hawkbill Arriving > Swordsman422 > Jasonland77 > Silvertree88 > Mack2336
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-17, 12:17 PM   #80
Swordsman422
Watch

Downloads: 25

Lol. Thanks for the welcome. Believe it or not, I've been coming to Subsim.com since at least the Virtual Sailor forum and following Mike Hense's indy subsim. After a couple years of inactivity, my old account must have gotten deleted, since I came to log in a few days ago to look at Cold Waters stuff and my retrieve password email was invalid. No biggie. I'm glad there is something to finally draw me back.
Swordsman422 is offline   Reply With Quote