Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-24-19, 11:30 PM   #1
Strategun
Swabbie

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Icon9 CTD Uclass Submarine

Hello there captains once more!

I had started a new campaign with Real Navigation this time with the TWoS mod (without RealNav was just racking up kills and was starting to get boring). I was quite liking it, was doing the first mission in the Baltic, had sunk the minelayer (I cheated there a bit by reloading a couple of times going to be honest) and went into the Danzig Bay and sunk another european medium composite freighter, this time without reloading. Two sunken ships with real nav and without external camera. Was starting to get excited, was returning to Kiel after having being ordered to. Then I came accross a U-Class submarine, probably polish, because it carried no flag but when I ordered my crew to fire at will with the deck gun they started attacking it. This is where the problem starts.

I usually keep two saves, and was about to leave when I was about 2500m from the Uclass submarine. When I tried to come back to the game, it would CTD whenever I tried to reload the game. No biggie I guess, I'll just load the other save shortly from when I sank the freigther. CTD again. Whelp! Let me try the autosave which is 4 mins before the 2nd save. CTD again. Well... does this mean this career is over? I really don't want to start again after having spent 8 hours on this Career... the whole weekend gone... I even tried deleting special.txt from the save files but no good...

And this is not the first time I had problems with the Uclass submarine. When I first started playing again roughly a month ago, I had the exact same problem when I was engaging this Uclass sub in Danzig bay. And the career went to hell because of it, no saves worked, no matter how old... please help! Is there anything I can do to salvage this save? I managed to start a new career just fine with no CTD, but when I try to load any of the other saves.... BAH

Last edited by Strategun; 11-25-19 at 05:33 AM.
Strategun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-19, 06:34 AM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi S
Quote:
I came accross a U-Class submarine,
You are not the first player to have had problems when attacking the Polish submarine.
I would recommend to make at least one manual game save before completing your objective.
I always make one before the sighting of the 2 warships, exit to the main menu and reload it.

I have found that B.O. around the Danzig Bay area can be a bit unstable and also attacking ships docked in past games have caused a ctd.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-19, 07:00 AM   #3
Strategun
Swabbie

I guess I'm going to have to start over again. Avoid that damned Uclass sub like the plague and try to finish the Baltic mission in one playthrough... and keep a heap of non-overwriting saves just in case, at least 5 or 6... dang it. No way to edit the save to reposition my uboat? Or delete the polish Uclass sub? Or any other way to salvage it? Sniff.

Also, it must really be the Uclass sub, the freighter that I attacked wasn't docked, was roughly in the middle of Danzig bay (north south wise) almost near the exit (east west)
Old 11-25-19, 03:50 PM   #4
THEBERBSTER

Hi S
The Polish sub makes a few passes across Danzig Bay and is possibly passive?
I have never had it fire at me.
I would suggest not making a game save close to Danzig Bay but you do want to make one when your objective has completed at some point.
Making a game save before the war starts on the 1st September I find is a good or around 20km from the X mark so it gives me a back up if things go wrong.
I would always suggest going back to the main menu and load the game save as using a Resume game save might give you a ctd if you need to use that game save.
I always make a game save at 200km from Kiel although Vecko says it is not needed I find it is better to break up the journey rather than having to go back a couple of days if something goes wrong.
Peter
Old 12-03-19, 04:38 AM   #5
Strategun
Swabbie

Icon14

I've restarted the game and it is indeed the Uclass submarine the culprit of the CTDs. Managed to sink both the minesweeper and the destroyer this time, with the help of the Luftwaffe who distracted the Task Force. Saved right after I sank both ships. Then as I started moving towards Danzig bay, I've picked up the Uclass sub on my hydro, and as soon as it's in range, problems start. All saves within range of the Uclass sub become corrupt, but fortunately the save right after I sank the task force wasn't corrupt. Managed to patrol the bay in a long playthrough, sank another ship, a coal freighter 2900t, then I got the heck out of there and TC'd to 512 moving towards Kiel. Halfway through the journey I saved again and this time it worked, no save game corruption, was able to save and load. Huzzah. Heads up for all new players: avoid that Uclass sub like the plague and never save the game when you're near it. 3rd time within 3 different playthroughs that I've managed to replicate this bug/glitch.
Old 12-03-19, 05:49 AM   #6
THEBERBSTER

Hi Sg
At the point where you had sunk the task force you would have received a message ordering you to your new base in Kiel and IIRC you get an automatic game save as well.
At this point I would move towards Kiel and not gone near Danzig Bay where you know the Polish sub is patrolling.
Peter
Old 12-03-19, 08:42 AM   #7
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategun View Post
Heads up for all new players: avoid that Uclass sub like the plague and never save the game when you're near it. 3rd time within 3 different playthroughs that I've managed to replicate this bug/glitch.
Because of this thread I tested campaign start in Danzing just few days ago and didn't have any issues with Polish submarines. I've even managed to sink one with my deck gun. Are you sure that everything is OK with your game/mod installation?

EDIT:
Nope...tested again and no problems when saving near or destroying Polish submarines in Danzing...

I would suggest full game re installation and fresh campaign start...

Last edited by vdr1981; 12-03-19 at 10:02 AM.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-19, 01:44 PM   #8
Strategun
Swabbie

Weird, and yes I am pretty sure it's because of the Uclass submarine because it is the third time it happens. I manage to save the game fine, but if I quit to desktop and reload that save with the sub in the vicinity the game CTD's when loading no matter what. I have TWoS with Real Navigation and little else (a couple other mods that come with TWoS), no other mods or anything.

Edit: if it's any help I'm running the game on Win7, with the game installed from ye olde CD, then updated to the latest patch, then installed TWoS.
Old 12-03-19, 02:03 PM   #9
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategun View Post

Edit: if it's any help I'm running the game on Win7, with the game installed from ye olde CD, then updated to the latest patch, then installed TWoS.
Exactly the same here but there's no problems near Polish subs...Did you save/reload the gamsave in Memel bunker?
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-19, 07:38 PM   #10
Strategun
Swabbie

Yes I did, save the game just after starting it, quit to main menu without doing anything else, then reloaded the game.
Old 12-09-19, 04:40 PM   #11
PanzerDan86
Seaman

Downloads: 40

Hello Vecko,

Not sure if this is related to enemy submarines or not..but I've also run into a problem after recently having sank 2 British submarines north of the UK.

When I load the game it loads up fine, but I now have weird sound issues. It's like only certain sounds play when I move my mouse around in different directions.

Everything was running fine (except that previous issue I've described in a separate thread about the conning tower upgrades) and I stumbled upon 2 British subs which I sank. I saved the game sometime after that..no issues. I even made several more saves after that with no issues....

Then, I went on vacation for 2 weeks and came back today to the game. Now whenever I load any save (even before the subs were sighted) from this patrol (my 4th patrol) there are strange sound problems where certain sounds (engines running, or water splashing along the hull, etc. etc.) either intensify or quiet down depending on where my character is looking and/or located.

After reading this thread I deleted the saves where I saw the subs and all of the ones after the subs were sunk just to be sure. However, the problem still persists. I've even noticed that the music during the loading of the game will start and stop until the game is completely loaded. I'm not sure if that happened before or not, but I don't seem to remember that issue.

FYI - I'm running the Steam version correctly installed on Windows 8.1.
PanzerDan86 is offline   Reply With Quote