SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-22-19, 12:40 PM   #121
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Zelda View Post
Installed FotRS UE on a new install of SH4 v1.5 with LAA. Played Sub school tutorials (navigation, artillery, and easy torpedo) without a problem and even a campaign patrol from Corregidor to Puerto Galera, Balavan Bay, Batangas Bay area; then to the Hainan Island in the South China Sea but did not come across enemy vessel to fire a torpedo at.

This morning, I played the Tokyo Express mission 8 or 9 times and had the same problem every time. First of all, only the first Asashio destroyer in line will LOCK even though all the rest are within visual range.

Secondly and most important, fired torpedo at first destroyer multiple times and each time I had Crash to Desktop as the torpedo closed with the destroyer in the event camera. Tried both contact and influence settings and both crashed upon hit.

So, I'm wondering what will happen in the campaign mode when I contact a Japanese merchant or warship? I plan to try a different single mission soon.

This Tokyo Express mission, is this the correct title or does it have another name?

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-19, 01:58 PM   #122
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Installed FotRS UE on a new install of SH4 v1.5 with LAA. Played Sub school tutorials (navigation, artillery, and easy torpedo) without a problem and even a campaign patrol from Corregidor to Puerto Galera, Balavan Bay, Batangas Bay area; then to the Hainan Island in the South China Sea but did not come across enemy vessel to fire a torpedo at.

This morning, I played the Tokyo Express mission 8 or 9 times and had the same problem every time. First of all, only the first Asashio destroyer in line will LOCK even though all the rest are within visual range.

Secondly and most important, fired torpedo at first destroyer multiple times and each time I had Crash to Desktop as the torpedo closed with the destroyer in the event camera. Tried both contact and influence settings and both crashed upon hit.

So, I'm wondering what will happen in the campaign mode when I contact a Japanese merchant or warship? I plan to try a different single mission soon.
As cdrsubron7 says, what "Tokyo Express" mission? The Stock game has a "Tokio-Saipan Convoy" - that one? cdrsubron7 made a "Supplies For Betio". Those are the only two missions I can find that might be close. Also, what date are you encountering the CTD, and what is your location?

For future reference, just because a ship is visible does not mean it can be "Locked". There has to be an mostly unobstructed view of the ship. If waves are washing over your periscope, you might have to bring the boat up a couple-three feet, possibly exposing the shears in wave troughs, so that you can get a consistent lock. That said, if a ship is an "invalid" target (a rather ambiguous term), then it cannot be locked. ie: if there is an issue with the Asashio in this scenario you are describing, then it is entirely possible that it will never allow "Locking" of that "target" (or would that be "non-target" in this case?? )

Now, have you run LAA again, and checked to make certain that it "took" on the SH4.exe file? Right-click on that "sh4.exe" file, choose "Properties" and be certain that on the "General" tab that the "Read-only" attribute tick box is cleared. If it wasn't try using LAA again...

But we need more info, at least on the scenario "who, what, when, where, why & how"... It'd be good to know your computer config also.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-19, 02:09 PM   #123
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Tokyo Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
This Tokyo Express mission, is this the correct title or does it have another name?
Yes, this is the correct title: "Tokyo Express"

Click on "Single Missions" and "Fleet Boat Quick Missions" will appear with a list. You'll see it on top of the list of missions: "Tokyo Express 1943 Gato" and it even has a map with the mission description.
Old 11-22-19, 03:08 PM   #124
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Yes, this is the correct title: "Tokyo Express"

Click on "Single Missions" and "Fleet Boat Quick Missions" will appear with a list. You'll see it on top of the list of missions: "Tokyo Express 1943 Gato" and it even has a map with the mission description.

What version of FOTRSU are you using? I'm using the full release version that just came out and I have nothing that says Fleet Boat Quick Missions.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-19, 03:36 PM   #125
K9us
Swabbie

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Can't speak for von Zelda, but I can confirm that there is indeed a Tokyo Express mission as the first entry in a long list of missions if you click on Single Missions in FOTRSU v1.0.1g.
K9us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-19, 03:48 PM   #126
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
As cdrsubron7 says, what "Tokyo Express" mission? The Stock game has a "Tokio-Saipan Convoy" - that one? cdrsubron7 made a "Supplies For Betio". Those are the only two missions I can find that might be close.
Thank you for your quick response.

I admit, what I find is very odd. My installed SH4 (Steam version) along with the installed FotRS UE mod comes up with 38 single missions with Tokyo Express on the top, with a map. The only one with a map by the way. I believe Tokyo Express was an original SH4 stock mission.

I looked in my SH4 game directory at the single missions folder to find 38 files as follows: AD01 (Tokyo Express), 25 list as FOTRSUC7a or C7K or C7S, 1 listed as RakJap7, and 11 listed SM01 through SM11.

I compared this to a SAVED original FothRS UE download directly from the zip file and it has only 37 files without the A01 Tokyeo Express file. That's odd?

Is RapJap7 and the SM01 to SM11 part of the FotRS UE mod? Please let me know.

I presently assume that they are and that the A01 file (Tokyo Express) must have, some how, been left over from my "newly" downloaded Steam version after the FotRS mod was installed by the Generic Mod Enabler. Odd that all the other single mission files were removed by the JSGME and A01 wasn't?

I think this resolves why the Tokyo Express mission failed; it was not supposed to be there. It's a NON-mission. I shall delete it.

It makes me wonder if there could be any other files left over, hanging around from the original SH4 programs after the JSGME does its thing.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by von Zelda; 11-22-19 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-22-19, 04:15 PM   #127
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
What version of FOTRSU are you using? I'm using the full release version that just came out and I have nothing that says Fleet Boat Quick Missions.
Fall of the Rising Sun Unlimited Edition v1.0.1.gEN

I think this is your new, full release version, is it NOT?

When I click on Single Missions, the next page says: Fleet Boat Quick Missions
Old 11-22-19, 04:17 PM   #128
propbeanie

That is why in the instructions for the mod, including in the First Posting, there the part that says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotRSU Mod Team View Post
Installation pointers:
  • When you attempt to activate FotRSU v1.0.1.g the only safe way to proceed unfortunately, is to not use previous Saved games. Delete the Save folder. The game will re-create that when next starting. This also ensures that all of the mod's files are properly copied over to the new Save folder (generally "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4"), which should result in a proper activation of the mod on top of SH4.
You MUST delete the Save folder, else you will have old "Test" missions such as you found... I might have to dig that out of the archive though... That's the one with all of the DD going to and fro Rabaul to Guadalcanal, and things can get interesting fast in it... Anyway, just empty your Save folder, and you should be good to go.

Anybody with odd issues, be sure you read that first post, and / or the ReadMe pdf instructions with the mod in the Support folder. Lots of stuff in there, some of it useful too!

Old 11-22-19, 04:46 PM   #129
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
That is why in the instructions for the mod, including in the First Posting, there the part that says:
You MUST delete the Save folder, else you will have old "Test" missions such as you found... I might have to dig that out of the archive though... That's the one with all of the DD going to and fro Rabaul to Guadalcanal, and things can get interesting fast in it... Anyway, just empty your Save folder, and you should be good to go.
Did that and I deleted everything else including the Saved Folder. I uninstalled SH3, SH4, all the remaining files in my main C: directory and the SH4 Saved Folder in My Directory. Then I reinstalled my game files from Steam.

Where I (and others) might have goofed is launching newly installed SH4 before installing the FotRS UE mod. This might have allowed the SH4 folder, under My Directory, to install with old mission files and maybe other old files.

Will delete the entire SH4 folder and try a relaunch to test this theory. This should bring up a new SH4 upon reboot of the game.

Update: to make a long story longer, I had to go into the SH4 directory\Data\Single Missions folder and manually delete the A01 Tokyo Express mission and then reboot the game with the FotRS mod to create a new SH4 folder under My Documents. All seems to be working fine.

Last edited by von Zelda; 11-22-19 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-22-19, 07:39 PM   #130
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Did that and I deleted everything else including the Saved Folder. I uninstalled SH3, SH4, all the remaining files in my main C: directory and the SH4 Saved Folder in My Directory. Then I reinstalled my game files from Steam.

Where I (and others) might have goofed is launching newly installed SH4 before installing the FotRS UE mod. This might have allowed the SH4 folder, under My Directory, to install with old mission files and maybe other old files.

Will delete the entire SH4 folder and try a relaunch to test this theory. This should bring up a new SH4 upon reboot of the game.

Update: to make a long story longer, I had to go into the SH4 directory\Data\Single Missions folder and manually delete the A01 Tokyo Express mission and then reboot the game with the FotRS mod to create a new SH4 folder under My Documents. All seems to be working fine.
Guys,

Example of Stock sH4:

Example of FotrsU:

Saw another quote..
"I think this resolves why the Tokyo Express mission failed; it was not supposed to be there. It's a NON-mission. I shall delete it. ---> Correct

It makes me wonder if there could be any other files left over, hanging around from the original SH4 programs after the JSGME does its thing. "

There is no way, any of you have this file in your install, if you have followed all the precise and very informative information at the top of the thread.

SH4 v1.5, cannot create a file that is not there, JSGME cannot add a file that is is not there to add....

This would mean you have not followed the steps to the letter or you may have mod soup.

This actual mission was a UBIsoft separate freeware release, and if I remember rightly, around SH4 1.4 era 2008 time ?!?!?

I have the actual file, in my mod collectionL
Silent Hunter_4 > UbiSoft Patches > Silent Hunter 4 - Tokyo Express >...

And I have also checked our base mod - FalloftherisingSun_V2.0_SH4V1.4 GE and that is also clean of this mission.

But before anyone starts to torpedo me, I do not have steam, but cannot imagine the main game directories have any differences between them, but I'm prepared to be proved wrong.

Tomorrow I will install v1.4 via disc, and see what lands in the folder, then upgrade to v1.5 for a full survey, and report back.
Old 11-22-19, 11:42 PM   #131
propbeanie

Besides the route s7rikeback mentions with the Ubisoft upgrades "giving" the player a little something, von Zelda and K9usTMO 2.5 also had that file in its package. For me, I use MultiSH4 and have a "TMO" save folder, and an "FRS", and "SH4", and GFO (well, and a few others... ). That way, when I "die" in one modded game, I go to something a bit different and cool down for a bit... - besides the fact I don't have to worry about cross-contamination like that.

There are issues at times with getting mods completely out of your SH4 folder, which we discovered while building FotRSU. If you don't have a "known quantity" at the beginning, your tests will usually be off, due to the fact that there is an extra file or two from a previous install, or as happens all too often, the existing file is not updated, since it has the same name as the new modded file. So you are left (in your cases) with a mix of at the least, Stock, TMO, and FotRSU, which usually eventually results in a CTD, especially since most of the capital, and even some of the minor ships have different "Type=" lines used to "call" them in FotRSU. Case-in-point, the CLNaka in TMO is Type=6, while in FotRSU, it is "Type=18". Guaranteed CTD... Un-install your FotRSU modded game, and delete that folder, in addition to the Save folder. Re-install SH4, or copy a known-clean SH4 game folder, and paste that in for use with FotRSU - but it has to be known-clean, else there will be issues. After activating the mod, if you played the know-clean stock game just to see if it works, be sure and empty the Save folder again...

Last edited by propbeanie; 11-22-19 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Naka Naka - who's there?... Sea - See who?
Old 11-23-19, 05:48 AM   #132
K9us
Swabbie

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Where I (and others) might have goofed is launching newly installed SH4 before installing the FotRS UE mod.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I did exactly this because I interpreted the FOTRSU documentation that way. English isn't my primary language so it's not surprising if I misunderstood parts of the instructions

Anyway, I've had way less CTDs now that I've started to take precautions in terms of where I save the game and how I reload saved games. This is the strategy that I've employed so far:

- I try to save at least 200nm from any port, city, and airfield.
- I very rarely save the game when in an active patrol area, i.e. I usually try to go the whole 5 or 10 days without saving.
- I only save when I'm surfaced.
- I try to save only when there's nothing of note around, i.e. if there's an incoming airplane on the radar or an enemy task force report withint 200nm, I try to wait it out or relocating before saving.
- When reloading the game, I always restart the game entirely first. Yeah it takes some time, but it's worth it if it means I won't lose progress due to CTDs.
- I never use the automatically saved games.

The above has worked pretty darn reliable with my 1024 TC limit that I put in the config files. A couple of days back I raised it to 2048 because the travel time between the home ports and the patrol areas early game took forever, and lo and behold I started to experience a few CTDs, both around the '42-'43 Solomon airfields and Truk island in '43.
K9us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-19, 07:13 AM   #133
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9us View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I did exactly this because I interpreted the FOTRSU documentation that way. English isn't my primary language so it's not surprising if I misunderstood parts of the instructions

Anyway, I've had way less CTDs now that I've started to take precautions in terms of where I save the game and how I reload saved games. This is the strategy that I've employed so far:

- I try to save at least 200nm from any port, city, and airfield.
- I very rarely save the game when in an active patrol area, i.e. I usually try to go the whole 5 or 10 days without saving.
- I only save when I'm surfaced.
- I try to save only when there's nothing of note around, i.e. if there's an incoming airplane on the radar or an enemy task force report withint 200nm, I try to wait it out or relocating before saving.
- When reloading the game, I always restart the game entirely first. Yeah it takes some time, but it's worth it if it means I won't lose progress due to CTDs.
- I never use the automatically saved games.

The above has worked pretty darn reliable with my 1024 TC limit that I put in the config files. A couple of days back I raised it to 2048 because the travel time between the home ports and the patrol areas early game took forever, and lo and behold I started to experience a few CTDs, both around the '42-'43 Solomon airfields and Truk island in '43.
I find the “game” is more forgiving than you have. Just to give you some assurance of this, especially with this v1.0.1g release, I save whenever I want, usually before I attack and the after, with enemy ships or AC around, surfaced or submerged, near land or not. But, I only create new saves, never editing an old save and re-saving. So far the only CTD I’ve had after over dozen patrols was the one reported here regarding hitting an Asashio DD which PB is looking into.
Likewise, using MultiSh if changing your MODS, clearing the Save folder as emphasized by others. For me, this release of “Ultimate “ is the best I’ve played. hope you Enjoy the game!!
Old 11-23-19, 07:26 AM   #134
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default CTD due to Tokyo Express single mission

Update:
Resolved CTDs after deleting a mysterious, single mission file (A01 Tokyo Express) from my Single Mission Folder that did not belong. It's not included in FotRS UE. Make sure Tokyo Express in not in your single missions folder if you update to FotRS UE.

I believe the Tokyo Express mission may be included in the Steam download of Silent Hunter 4, Wolves of the Pacific, which is the v1.3 version of the game. Even with downloading Silent Hunter 4, Wolves of the Pacific U-boat Missions, which makes the game a v1.5 version, I'm guessing that "A01 Tokyo Express" was somehow left over within the single mission folder?

Also, I compared the Single Patrols folder in my saved, original FotRS UE mod with the Single Patrols folder in my current modded SH4 with FotRS UE and they perfectly match. So, no mysterious files there.

I hope you find this helpful. Thanks to all who looked into this mystery.
Old 11-23-19, 07:34 AM   #135
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
So far the only CTD I’ve had after over dozen patrols was the one reported here regarding hitting an Asashio DD which PB is looking into.
By the way, the vessel that caused the CTD in Tokyo Express was an Asashio along with 3 additional Asashio DD in a task force.

Sometime you just have to ask yourself? Hum?