SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-12-10, 07:16 AM   #1
pelucho25
Loader

Downloads: 1395
Uploads: 0
Default GWX 3.0 OR Living Silent Hunter III 5.1

which is best for you in immersion and realism GWX 3.0 + MODS or Living Silent Hunter III 5.1
pelucho25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 07:36 AM   #2
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

I would not rely on other peoples tastes. Install both, test both and decide. But I recommend to test also NYGM supermod.!
Old 12-12-10, 10:48 AM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

And War Ace Campaign. The truth is that they all add so much to the game that it's hard to choose.

But whatever you end up using, SH3 Commander is the ultimate add-on, and not to be left out.
Old 12-12-10, 06:30 PM   #4
Corsair
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 51

Agree with H.sie, it's all a question of people's own taste, but also depends on the machine you're running it on.
After trying all of them, I finally settled for Living SH3 V5.1 on my home computer with Windows XP and NYGM on my laptop with W7 as it would run other mods as a slide show in harbour environments. (note that Living SH3 also has "lite" versions included in the download)

NYGM 3.4A / Living SH3 V5.1 + SH3 Commander
Corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-10, 05:22 AM   #5
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1

In each of mentioned mods there are strong sides, but GWX 3 - the most balanced at possibilities and productivity of the computer, i think.

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-10, 08:15 AM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Give em all a spin then decide....I did.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-10, 10:34 AM   #7
Tonga
Formerly Kpt. Hess

Downloads: 251

Same here! I tested GWX, LSH and WAC and considering the fact that I only have limited performance ressources etc. here on my notebook, I went for GWX and am sure I won't ever regret it. However the other supermods are very very good and it definetly is a question of personal taste. Invest the time by yourself and have a close look on each one of them before you decide - they are all worth it.
Tonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-10, 04:57 PM   #8
pelucho25
Loader

Downloads: 1395

Thank you very much to all guys, I heard that the most difficult and realistic is the NYGM. Is it true?. what is your preference to play? Mods and installation order ...
pelucho25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-10, 06:17 PM   #9
Tessa
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 22

To be honest, there is one aspect of this question that I hope some other's speak up on. Without getting into too much detail, what do you think are some of the best traits of the supermods (I've only ever used GWX myself, since 1.x) or some traits that are unique to that particular mod?

P.S. Assume that the computer has plenty of resources, not interested in how well certain ones work with older hardware, etc., am interested in the traits themselves.
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-10, 07:09 PM   #10
Corsair
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 51

I would say it's a matter of overall personal feeling and one's definition of what a sim game should be (I've been since more than 20 years in the flight sim world and this a debate we had thousands of times)
It's just that at some point it feels right for you. Depends also where you started. You've always played GWX, I played NYGM from the start. I have played several versions of GWX, and although I am very admirative of the huge work and historical research behind, I always went back to NYGM. Can't explain precisely why, although I specially appreciate Hitman's Gui for NYGM 3.4, which leads you to use your sub close to historical behaviour (dark night surface attack with UZO, Observation or attack scope following weather conditions and ambient light)

NYGM 3.4A / Living SH3 V5.1 + SH3 Commander
Corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-10, 09:31 PM   #11
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

The folks who did WAC went to great lengths to flesh out all the historic campaigns.

LSH3 has, among other things, awesomely recreated harbors (of which Wilhelmshaven has found its way into GWX) and the historic bridges over the Kiel Canal, which are a marvel to behold.

There are many other advantages to each, but as always those things are what come to my mind first.

I just wish someone with the talent had put the best of all of them into SH4. Then I would be truly happy.
Old 12-14-10, 05:22 AM   #12
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

top at list are NYGM and LSH !
NYGM for sensors-gameplay and LSH for all the eyes-candies that has...U-boats streams,exhaust smokes,plenty of nice ships...nice harbours....etc
WAC also has many many eyes candies but its hot point and real power is the unbeatable campaign that offers ! if you are fan of campaigns then wac is your mod .
GWX is somehow a balance for all the aboves for lower powered pcs

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-10, 01:41 PM   #13
Tessa
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
top at list are NYGM and LSH !
NYGM for sensors-gameplay and LSH for all the eyes-candies that has...U-boats streams,exhaust smokes,plenty of nice ships...nice harbours....etc
WAC also has many many eyes candies but its hot point and real power is the unbeatable campaign that offers ! if you are fan of campaigns then wac is your mod .
GWX is somehow a balance for all the aboves for lower powered pcs
Eye candy is nice, but is no substitute for quality. WAC looks really appealing, but I couldn't really find any information about the mod itself; just links to the new versions and informatin on changes. When you say unbeatable campaign do you just mean that its really friggin hard, or its like GWX where it follows the course of history regardless and there is no 'win' scenario?
Old 12-14-10, 03:42 PM   #14
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Following the history regardless with no chance to change the war is part of the stock game, and is not GWX's fault. No mod, super or otherwise, can change that. When he says "unbeatable" he means that WAC's main emphasis is on the historical campaigns, and they are recreated in more detail than any other version.
Old 12-15-10, 04:50 AM   #15
Tessa
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Following the history regardless with no chance to change the war is part of the stock game, and is not GWX's fault.
Have been aware of that shortly after playing GWX; no blame or anything ill was meant here. Over the years there have been numerous people that have tried to or made mods that could give you a "winning scenario"; this is what I was questioning about.