SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-03-22, 06:33 PM   #1
Oubaas
Frogman

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0
Default US Civil War Game Recommendation

For those interested in the US Civil War, I can heartily recommend the title, "Grand Tactician: The Civil War (1861-1865)".

This title is still in Early Access on Steam, but the developers are very active and working diligently on refining the game. At present, I'd say it's a candidate for the Strategy Game Hall of Fame. It's shaping up to be the king of Civil War games. I play, "Ultimate General: Civil War" and enjoy it very much. But Grand Tactician: The Civil War (1861-1865) is on on a whole other level.

The game play is the sort that results in your going to bed far later than you intended (like I did at 0300 this morning). The attention to detail is outstanding, from the period correct music (I usually mute music, but not in this case), to the penmanship in missives received. I think it's called Spencerian Penmanship, but I'm no expert in that area. It looks like all the old documents from the mid-19th century.

The game has a powerful Civil War vibe. I love the maps. I'd rate it higher than the Total War series, and many other great strategy games. I've played WarPlan Pacific, Gary Grigsby's War in the West, lots and lots of strategy games over the years.

You can zoom out and watch units on the beautiful map, or zoom in and see your troops. The map is detailed enough to show the town in which I grew up, and the town near which I currently live. And neither is very big.

Anyway, if you're interested in that era, this covers everything in that period, and is totally absorbing. Worth every penny, and steadily getting better. Check it out.

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-22, 07:00 PM   #2
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

sounds like a great game
Old 07-18-22, 03:52 PM   #3
Herodotus
Sailor man

Downloads: 85

Definitely a top game, especially with the new 3D modelling of the troops.

Still, I keep going back to the John Tiller series for serious ACW wargaming as I have since they were first released - the maps are just grogeous, hand painted as they were.

Empire's "The Civil War" is also a top game if you can find it (and it runs on Win 10 unbelievably), by the makers of Microprose' "Field of Glory" concerning the battles of Quatre Bras, Waterloo and Wavre. Bit old looking but still the best, in my book. "The Blue and the Grey" is also worth a look.
Herodotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-22, 07:33 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Looks and sounds as if this title is Total War Ultra Hardcore edition? How is the AI?
Old 07-20-22, 10:21 AM   #5
Oubaas
Frogman

Downloads: 65

The AI seems fine to me. This is sort of what Total War ought to be. Although I do like Total War, particularly Attila, Rome II, and Shogun II.

But this one is beyond Total War. It's a masterpiece if you ask me.
Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote