SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-11-17, 03:33 AM   #1
JuanLiquid
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 0
Default Target range, does it matter?

I was calculating the range, and only the range, using the Weapons officer. However I went fully manual and I have a question about the range.

When I see a target I'm able to quickly calculate its speed, and using my eye only, its AOB. However the range is more difficult to estimate, and when I want counter attack some destroyers or I just surfaced in the middle of a convoy, I do not have the time to setup the range or to use the attack disk to calculate it.

My question is, how important is the range for non-FaT torpedoes? I'm getting lately more torpedo failures than usually, they detonate too soon or they go too depth. Does the range influence those mistakes? Does the range influence too much on the torpedo direction? I think it doesn't, but I need confirmation to know if I just having bad luck or I really need setup the range.
JuanLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-17, 03:53 AM   #2
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Range gives you an estimated time to target. This is important when timing your shots for convoys. Other than that it does not assist your solution.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 02:08 AM   #3
fumo30
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 15

On the other hand, range is very useful information especially when you're not in a hurry.
Make two(or more) estimations and draw a line between them and you have the course of the target. When you have the course, you have the AOB too. If you also measure the time it took the target between these two rangings you can also sort out it's speed.

...Oh, what I'm talkin about? everybody knows these things.
fumo30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 05:41 AM   #4
JuanLiquid
Machinist's Mate

Thanks for the information. I prefer use eyecalculators, without any tool.

Yesterday I tried to record a video where I went to Gibraltar in 1942 with the deck gun, and once I had the attention of the destroyer we started an epic fight. I sunk 4 of 11 destroyers that were deep charging me. In that situation I haven't any time to calculate nothing! that's why I eye train a lot.

After recovering my sub from a almost sure dead twice I was without compressed air and with heavy floodings, so I coudln't silent running at all. My last option was go surface and try the last shot, very epic.

Unfortunately my internet connection was so broke and the video was very bad recorded I will do better ones!

Old 05-13-17, 06:56 PM   #5
Zosimus
XO

Downloads: 3

Whether the range matters depends entirely on the type of shot you are making. Most of us, I think, use a 90º AOB shot. In that case, the range is irrelevant.

If you're not sure, do this simple exercise: Set up for the shot with a minimum range, note the gyroangle, and then reset the range to maximum and recheck the gyroangle. If it hasn't changed, then you know the type of shot you are doing doesn't need accurate range.
Zosimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-17, 11:56 AM   #6
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 96

Just something Zosimus made me think of when discussing AoB...

In case you don't know, if a ship is zig-zagging and offering what would normally be a very difficult target to set for AoB (and range, for that matter), take some time to figure out his general course (the line that he's zig-zagging along) and use that in your solution.

As much as I dislike it sometimes, I'm a tin can sailor, through and through.
Kaptlt.Endrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-17, 05:37 PM   #7
badwolf
XO

Downloads: 59
Default One situation when range can be ignored.

You can find the bow angle & speed of the leading cargo ship. Then without moving the periscope or your sub, you can fire at any ship that passes your sight path whatever range it is at with the same settings. The hardest part is trying to get all torpedoes to hit at more or less the same time on each ship, before they go into alert mode. this can be accomplished with torpedo speed.
badwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-17, 07:21 PM   #8
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanLiquid View Post
Hi JuanLiquid !

Could you post your mods list here : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=221815 ?

I like your game very much, especially the sounds from Red Orchestra !
Old 05-17-17, 12:25 AM   #9
JuanLiquid
Machinist's Mate

I didn't like the sounds everyone else where playing. Ok das boot is a nice movie, but their sound are a bit boring for a game, so I'm looking for alternatives. This one is the mod I'm using for sounds:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4527

And, being a sound designer myself, I think I'm gonna improve it.

I've added the full list in the link you ask me and in my new video description, showing again how I aim:

Old 05-17-17, 04:32 AM   #10
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanLiquid View Post
This one is the mod I'm using for sounds:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4527

I've added the full list in the link you ask me.
Thank you very much !

BTW, I think there is a problem with your list (see thread).
Old 05-17-17, 09:06 AM   #11
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Oh sorry, I watched again, and we can see very well the fire light at 1:40:40. So all is ok !
Old 06-04-17, 12:23 PM   #12
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

The range setting is needed for a correction on a large gyro-angle at minimum range. Due to the parallax effect the torpedo needs to steer a bit further than if the target is far away. But since the target becomes a huge angle at close range you will likely hit something anyway.

However with the 'default notepad' way of targeting it is a primary part of determining how fast the target is. If that is measured incorrectly then the torpedo will go another way.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote