SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-08-19, 11:02 AM   #1
Suzuro
Nub

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Difficulty installing Trigger Maru Overhauled

Good morning, all

I'm just getting into SHIV and having a bit of trouble. I'm attempting to install TMO, and I'm about at my wits end trying to get it work.

I put JSGME in the SHIV folder, had it create the MODS folder, I then put TMO in that folder (Ensuring that the data folder was in it), and used JSGME to install.

It creates the data folder and everything, and when I start....nothing.

I don't get the different loading screen and no changes to UI.

I've tried about a half dozen different ways now, and I just can't seem to get it to work.

Oh, and I guess I should say I'm using the gold edition, with TMO 2.5.

Any help you might be able to give me would be greatly appreciated, and I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong place.
Suzuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 05:23 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

First of all, "Welcome to SubSim Suzuro!"

2nd of all, where do you have the game installed? If you used the "default" installation path that the installer uses, then that would most likely be the problem. The "Program Files" folders are 'protected' Windows System folders, and as such, 'un-authorized' changes are not allowed. Since both Silent Hunter and JSGME were written prior to the use of User Access Control (UAC) in Windows Vista and later, they were not written to that Windows spec, and are therefore not on the 'authorized' list. When you activate a mod on the game inside one of those folders, Windows "sees" the changes, and will roll them back to 'protect' the system.

Depending upon your game version, you might be able to just make a copy of the game folder and then paste it into a new location, such that you make a new "C:\Games" folder, go into "C:\Program Files (x86) \Ubisoft" and copy the "Silent Hunter..." folder, and then paste it in the "Games" folder, you will then be able to apply mods. You will have to create new shortcuts for the game though. Or you could un-install what you have, and then delete the "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" folder, which is the game's 'Save' folder. Then re-install the game. When it comes up and asks where you want to install the game to, change the install path, either by clicking on the folders and browse around, or by inserting the cursor in the path they show, and removing that "Program Files (x86)\" part, or whatever you want to name your install folder. If you have the Steam version, then refer to "Moving a Steam Installation and Games". The method you use depends upon your computer configuration.

Another problem can arise when applying mods in that if a player does not empty the "Save" folder mentioned above (generally "C:\Users \Username \Doucments \SH4"), the game will not re-create the folder, and since the game does not over-write existing files, it will often not make a whit of difference when you go to run the game after activating a mod, other than you might have a half-modded, and half-unmodded cross-breed that doesn't work correctly.

A last thing (for now) that can muddle an SH4 install, is failing to install the DirectX v9.0c files and the codecs when that choice comes up - but that prevents the game from getting beyond the menu. If your game ran fine prior to trying to activate TMO, then you should be good to go in that regard. Let us know how you make out with it, or if you have other questions!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 06:49 PM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Suzuro
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 07:31 PM   #4
Suzuro
Nub

Hey,

Thank you for your ideas, unfortunately, it didn't seem to help.

I didn't install it in the default location, and I had tried making a copy on my desktop without any luck, unfortunately.

I did attempt to delete the save file and restart, but all that seemed to do was reset my resolution settings, I also tried to install the DirectX9.0 that came with the game without luck.

Finally I tried reinstalling the game, but it just turned out the exact same.

I appreciate the help, and if you have any other ideas, please, let me know.

One other question, my old version of SHIV had a "SH4.exe", but this one just has "SH4Autorun.exe," Would that impact the mods at all?
Old 12-08-19, 07:43 PM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Suzuro!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 09:07 PM   #6
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuro View Post
Hey,

Thank you for your ideas, unfortunately, it didn't seem to help.

I didn't install it in the default location, and I had tried making a copy on my desktop without any luck, unfortunately.

I did attempt to delete the save file and restart, but all that seemed to do was reset my resolution settings, I also tried to install the DirectX9.0 that came with the game without luck.

Finally I tried reinstalling the game, but it just turned out the exact same.

I appreciate the help, and if you have any other ideas, please, let me know.

One other question, my old version of SHIV had a "SH4.exe", but this one just has "SH4Autorun.exe," Would that impact the mods at all?
Eh... you have to have an SH4.exe... If your folder structure is "C:\Games \Ubisoft \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\", there should be an "sh4.exe" and an "sh4.ico" in that folder. The "sh4Autorun.exe" would be on the DVD disk for when you insert it in the optical drive, it starts up the disk's front-end. Did you maybe copy the disk to your hard drive? Or are you using a new Ubisoft UPlay digital download?

btw, When you say "didn't help", it is a bit difficult to read between the lines - but does your unmodded game run OK? Do you get the main menu with a choice for an American and a German career, as well as Quick Missions and Patrols, as well as the Museum and the Credits Roll? If you choose a Quick Mission or Patrol, do you make it into the submarine after a couple-three minutes of loading? When you first do the Quck Mission menu option, you might have to click on the "Change Sides" to get to the American missions. The game does not come with German missions. If you start at a career choice, you should go to a screen that "types" out your assignment. After that, you should end up on the Captain's Office behind a desk, where there are several hot-spots you can click on for various in-base functions. If you click on the wall map, you will be taken to another screen where your mission Objective(s) orders are "typed" for display, and then you can choose either to start in the harbor, or outside the harbor. After that choice, you should be on your submarine. Can you get to there in the Stock game - prior to applying any mods?

If you do, then there is nothing wrong with your install. If it does not take you to some of the screens, that would usually be the DirectX install then, and on some of the newer download packages, you have to make that choice early on in the installation process, right after changing the install path. You probably don't need to have the box for Adobe Acrobat checked, and on some of the older versions, there was the online Ubisoft server applet, which is no longer valid, but other than that, you have to tick the boxes for the game, DirectX v9, and the DirextX Codecs, which in the newer packages should install just fine. I cannot go back and install the DirectX 9 afterwards on my Windows 10 machine. I have to do it when installing the game, and I don't know what they would have changed about the installer, but... If you have a desktop short-cut, what does it "point" to?

I recently purchased a UPlay version of SH4 for my Win10 laptop, and I changed the Install path to remove the "Program Files (x86)\" portion of the path, such that I now have "C:\Ubisoft \Ubisoft Game Launcher \Games \Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition" and inside of it is the "sh4.exe file. All kinds of "layers" to peel away... My old disk versions in the XP days would just do "C:\Program Files \Ubisoft \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific"...

Old 12-08-19, 09:18 PM   #7
Suzuro
Nub

Good evening,

Thanks you for being so patient with me, I'm sure you're more frustrated than I am, haha.

About the EXE, I honestly don't know what to tell you, I downloaded it from Amazon through a digital only download, and the only exe files I have in the folder are JSGME.exe, setup.exe, and SH4Autorun.exe. Launching the game from SH4autorun.exe works, and will launch the game just fine. There is a SH4.exe in the support folder, but using that throws up a bunch of errors and doesn't launch anything.

Yes, the game runs fine, I haven't had any issues, except for the mod not seeming to work. I can play the career and haven't noticed any problems with clicking on different things.

OKAY, I got it working. It turns out that I'm just not super smart, it was not installed where I thought it was and the Autorun was just referencing where it actually was. I found the location and added the mods.

Thank you everyone for your help, I'm excited to jump into this experience.

Last edited by Suzuro; 12-08-19 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-09-19, 04:55 PM   #8
propbeanie

ooohhh... UPlay is messin' with the folder structure now also... not cool...