SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-21-17, 10:34 AM   #46
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
"Ghost Busters" music: who you gonna call? s7rikeback!...

I'm 90% certain there's a better shot of this on the USN site:

Likewise:

Sort of like US tank crews in Normandy, each coming up with their own idea of a hedgerow buster...

I think this is of the 109, but don't know for certain:

notice their little searchlight-on-a-pole by the pilot house, top-center edge of the photo? You can also see the tube angles pretty good from this one...

Great pics and many reflect the setup I am going for in 1943/44. See how the 37mm is on the bow? Since we dont have a 37mm, i could live a 40mm there OR could take a single 20 mm, rename and alter the hitpoints for ammo, make it a pseudo 37mm.Unless someone has 3d model of a 37mm out there.Get the single bofors on the stern later.

Definitely need to get surface search radar working as well.

Plenty of firepower manned by the crew to fire at surface targets are definitely needed in this campaign based on my testing.A lot of intense surface firefights machine guns and cannon against vessels too small for torpedoes. yet want torpedoes as an option. Crew fired AA gun is needed but just one, since operating at night mostly. Speed and one AA gun is enough to keep safe from aircraft.

Example. August 1943 testing our in central solomons. Encountered group of daihatsus and other small craft heading for new georgia off kolombangara, which will be a typical location of combat during this time period.

Intense gunfight, sunk multiple craft.One PT boat lost. However, if I had a bow mounted 40 or 37, would have been better. In final product with damage model corrected and crew able to be injured, having to swing broadsides to fire a stern 40 mm wil be a huge liability.

While en route back to base, encountered two DD's one CL. The CL was on fired but underway. I am guessing one of the many night surface encounters in RSRD in the area.

I went to GQ closed in fast DD's started gunning and zigging as did the CL. One DD came speeding my way. Under heavy fire, dodging shell splashs made it 2300 yards, let loose four fish , turned away with both DD's in pursuit gunning.

Of the four, one torpedo hit, causing large explosion. Eventually DD's turned away as lost me in the night. About an hour later, received the ship sunk message.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-17, 10:51 AM   #47
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Ya know what you could do, is offer the player an update (it'd be an upgrade if it was... lol) - ask them if they want to loose the two rear torps for heavier guns?... They can refuse and keep the torps, but only get the smaller guns. They take the "update" and they get double-barrel cannons, etc., but give up the capability to take out a target with torps... ??
Could work. Then again plenty had 4 torps and plenty of heavy guns.

I'd like things to be where skippers can customize their boats as see fit, within proper time periods etc. Don' want people rolling around philippines in 1941/42 with bofors mounted lol

I'll include in README and advised against giving up two of torpedoes, since PT boat shooting is not like shooting sub torpedoes on surface. Spread of four is highly neccessary more often that not, unlike the precision shots in subs. Most of time(not always, just depends) going to be shooting at a target making evasive movements if get within a decent range. Until 1944, standard torpedo is Mark 8, and it does not carry much of a punch, so going to usually need 3 solid hits to sink anything above a destroyer without previous. Not always, many factors at play. I hit a kongo battleship with a Mark 8 lol it caused a fire and punch a hole but battlewagon kept on sailing like nothing happened and along with it's screen, put a lot of large caliber gunfire near me while I was escaping

Main reason for this is you are likely to get spotted earlier. I have the visual sensors at default RSRD level, perhaps a little better so tha AI performs better in surface battles, since as a surface craft more likely to see them and be involved.

In my sub campaign I tinkered with sim.cfg enough where can perform night surface attacks in subs, slip inside screens etc as captains did. Of course light/fog etc matters.I set the speed factor to 25 knots, so your subs motion does not play as much of a role.PT campaign can still get away with a lot depending again on light, fog conditions.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-17, 02:42 PM   #48
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Could work. Then again plenty had 4 torps and plenty of heavy guns....
What would be nice then, is if the game would let you "model" that extra weight of both heavier guns ~and~ four torpedoes, and make the boat have a lower top speed... sluggish turns, etc... As it stands now though, you'd have to have separate boats for a fast, medium and slow top speed. If you try to add "weight" to the guns etc., you'll probably end up with a capsized PT boat...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-18, 10:07 AM   #49
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Default raised from the dead

Folk at FB wanted to see
yubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-18, 07:54 PM   #50
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
"Ghost Busters" music: who you gonna call? s7rikeback!...

I'm 90% certain there's a better shot of this on the USN site:

Likewise:

Sort of like US tank crews in Normandy, each coming up with their own idea of a hedgerow buster...

I think this is of the 109, but don't know for certain:

notice their little searchlight-on-a-pole by the pilot house, top-center edge of the photo? You can also see the tube angles pretty good from this one...

BOO!!!

I was even late for my own wedding...

Really need to learn how to use this forum and it's functions properly..
Old 12-16-19, 06:26 PM   #51
yubba
Admiral

Default like to get 3d editor

windows 10
Old 12-16-19, 09:43 PM   #52
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439

Blender works, but exporting from there, and importing into S3D is different, but I cannot remember how at this time... ... maybe someone else has a memory that lasts past their next sneeze... Blender is also "different" to work in.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-20, 08:02 AM   #53
yubba
Admiral

Default Bubbles did you upload

your work on the PT ???? it's been awhile,, I managed to salvage some of my work well one boat anyways,, is there a 3d editor windows 10 ???/
Old 06-15-20, 10:16 AM   #54
yubba
Admiral

Default Have files ready for upload..

It is of the first boat seen, with working torps ,an aft dual 40mm that you can't man because of the 50 that is in place of the search light ,, the others were lost