SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-09-21, 02:49 PM   #1
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

Default Windows 11

Quote:
Microsoft has drawn an arbitrary line and declared that PCs and laptops with processors from only a few years ago (even 2018) won't work with Windows 11. This is crazy and Microsoft should be ashamed of itself.

Windows 11 won't support Intel Core chips like the i3, i5, i7, etc that are older than the 8th generation or AMD Ryzen 3/5/7 processors before the 3xxx series. The Ryzen 3 3xxx only came out in 2019!
Typical Microsnot, this is going to affect 100's of millions of computers around the globe, 10/10 for stupidity you bleeding muppets. What about the environmental damage of all these PC's being sent to landfills will cause, aren't they bloody bothered about that.

Old 07-09-21, 03:24 PM   #2
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Interesting

Question will the be a successor to WIN10
Answer No Win10 is the latest and the last og operativ system.

It is therefore interesting to hear that Microsoft is preparing for WIN11.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-21, 05:07 PM   #3
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Windows 10's retirement date is 14/10/2025, that statement by Microsnot that this windows version will be the last version ever is a load of rubbish, I've also heard from one of my Tech buddies that there will be a Windows 12 version further down the line as well, this was their masterplan when they retired Win7 and everyone fell for it.

Microsoft is Unrepentant about Windows 11 - Removes Checker Tool
Quote:
Microsoft is unrepentant and insists that mandating you have at least an Intel 8th generation processor, or at least an AMD Zen 2 based processor, is still the minimum for Windows 11. But is that the full story? Let's find out.

This saga is going to run and run until Microsnot get their act together.
Old 07-10-21, 04:56 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I update my W10 machine via WUS just twice a year, if that often. Having an i7 8700K, which is 8th generation, I could downgrade further on the Windows 11 hype train, but why would I want that? Its a gaming machione, and all serous, sensible stuff is being done on a second, much secured Linux machine.

I am more interested to learn about whether Facebook will and can stick to its decision to make use of FB mandatory for already existing Occulus users having bought their device before the policy change to force new buyers already now to have an active FB profile. German anti-cartel authorities are investigating and two court battles are being fought currently, and this enforcement is the reason why Occulus since many months does not sell in Germany anymore. Recent rumours and news indicate that Zuckerberg may want (or need to) change his policy there, and that Oculus users then can stay free of facebook even beyond January 1st 2023.

They can keep their W11. I don't care. And I will not buy a new system if the old one is not broken. It still is overkill for my needs, with FS and ACC being the only exceptions than can push it to its full capability.

Last edited by Skybird; 07-10-21 at 05:17 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-21, 08:03 PM   #5
WilsonHalvorson
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

There were several bugs on my Windows 10 computer. All I can say now is that temporary files cannot be deleted by themselves, even though it is a built-in feature of Windows 10. So I had to manually clean it up. Although I was able to solve this problem somehow with the help of this article. I hope there will be no such bugs or problems in Windows 11.
WilsonHalvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-21, 12:47 AM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonHalvorson
Although I was able to solve this problem somehow with the help of this article. I hope there will be no such bugs or problems in Windows 11.
WilsonHalvorson! Thanks for posting that site. A computer illiterate like me needs all the help I can get!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-21, 03:53 AM   #7
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Windows 11, a completely new experience. On your completely new PC.
Win 10 will be supported until 2025, so you can continue to use this for a while.

An older PC will not do anymore for Win 11 coming out in october 2021. When your PC does not have a 7th generation CPU and UEFI mainboard with a tpm 'trusted platform module' chip, you will not be able to run it.
You can easily check your PC by typing "tpm.msc" in the command line – if none can be found your pc will be obsolete for Win 11.
Any PC/Laptop bought after 2023 with Win 11 will also have to have a 720 dpi camera onboard for face recognition to unlock your PC, along with some other requirements.

An older article, things have again changed since:
https://blogs.windows.com/windows-in...-requirements/

This coming at a time where processor and electronics prices are reaching the moon..

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-21, 07:47 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Any PC/Laptop bought after 2023 with Win 11 will also have to have a 720 dpi camera onboard for face recognition to unlock your PC,
Holy sh1t. The StaSi's and China's wettest dreams coming true.

This really is an argument to finally turn away from Windows PCs forever.

And no, not one second I believe that these biometric data will be kept safe and away from government and intel services as well as private businesses. Not one second I believe that.

Well, the UK as well as the EU openly debate a copying of the Chinese social notes and scoring system that rewards regime-friendly behaviour and sanctions behaviour violating compliance with regime norms. So nobody should be surprised that Microsoft does this stunt now.
Old 11-01-21, 04:33 PM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

A study over 30+ million business PCs wordwide shows that more than 55% of these do not fulfill CPU demands to run Windows 10. its not about the infamous Trusted Platform Demand that Microsoft is insisting on, its about simply CPU speed and power. TPD gets added then, too.

It shows the total idiocy of this operation system that became obvious in past incarnations of Windows already: to think the PC only exists to run the only real star of the show: WINDOWS.

That Windows is just - and not more than - an operation system that sets the stage for the real software stars to shine on, and would be best complimented if nobody must take notice of its presence and background work - thgat to imagien obviously is too much demanded of !Super!Dooper! WeAreTheGreatestTheBestTheFinestAndMostIrresistabl eSoThatEverybodyMust LoveUsInevitably Microsoft.

All that additional tech power - wasted on an operation system. Its getting more and more perverted with every incarnation of Windows. One could as well book expensive tickets for the Opera only to marvel at the colour of the curtains and smoothness of the carpet in the foyer.

Modesty would be a virtue, Windows.
Old 11-10-21, 03:56 PM   #10
Catfish

Just a reminder.. and who knows what WnSh!t 11 will be like

https://www.cracked.com/blog/4-awful...out-windows-10

Old 11-16-21, 07:40 AM   #11
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I haven't been keeping up, didn't they eventually start charging for upgrades to Win10?
Old 11-22-21, 03:12 PM   #12
Catfish

AFAIK Win 11 will be free for Win 10 users, if their PC supports it. Most will not though, because of that missing chip that makes older mainboards obsolete (read: planned obsolescence).

But fear not, the new MS browser will always be with you whether you want it or not, due to the updates that cannot be avoided:

"The new Microsoft Edge offers built-in security and works with the Microsoft security ecosystem to help customers realize a holistic approach to security. We are excited for everyone to see the benefits of the new Microsoft Edge and we are thankful for your valued partnership."
To put it in hassian words: "Hamse denen ins Gehirn geschisse?"

First welcome with the automatically new installed browser "Edge" was:
"How to look for your indian heritage."

I am already so excited. First was to convince my boss to get away from the MS server "ecosystem". I take it the "eco" stands for economy