SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-21-13, 04:42 AM   #1
Aras
Helmsman

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 0
Default to the bottom ?

Is there a way to make sit our u boot to the bottom without taking any hull damage, or you have to leave 1 meters or 2 ?

If you do so, does DDs think you are a dead fish now or can still ping and detect you ? (silent running+All Stop). Did anybody tried that before ?

"Though I'm past 240 meters, I'm feeling very still and I think my u-boot knows which way to go ..."
Aras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 05:02 AM   #2
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

You can reach the bottom at low speeds, on some occasions, it was necessary for me because I had been hurt by the depth charges, in a rather shallow water (60 meters) so I could stand the pressure, after a few passes of the destroyer above, then ceased his precipitates of depth charges, and then maybe because they were out? And I was at the bottom of repairing the damage, although DD did not make any deposits so he went above me all the time for several hours, when all the damage was repaired so (right engine was destroyed), I needed power to lift. ... so it was forced to flank speed to get away, then I could come to the surface and actually sink him with a stern torpedo, which I had luck on my side, because he heard my attempt to dodge, but it went to the end to get away,

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 06:09 AM   #3
RConch
Captain

Downloads: 503

I use this-it works with GWX 3.0
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...do=file&id=957
Old 01-21-13, 09:09 AM   #4
Aras
Helmsman

Thanks for the help Rconch. Just watched The Enemy Below, that’s where I got the idea

In the movie, the sonar operator of the DD was not able to detect the u boot sit on the bottom, the operator told "Just reflections from the bottom" however shouldn’t he be able to recognize metal from rock or sand ?

"Though I'm past 240 meters, I'm feeling very still and I think my u-boot knows which way to go ..."
Old 01-21-13, 10:40 AM   #5
DJS4000
Hauptmann

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras View Post
Thanks for the help Rconch. Just watched The Enemy Below, that’s where I got the idea

In the movie, the sonar operator of the DD was not able to detect the u boot sit on the bottom, the operator told "Just reflections from the bottom" however shouldn’t he be able to recognize metal from rock or sand ?
that's not how sonar works
Old 01-21-13, 11:02 AM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Several submarines reported using that tactic successfully during the war. Most notable was USS S-38, which used it to good effect three different times over a three-day period. This is not to say it would work all the time. We don't know how many tried it and failed.
Old 01-21-13, 11:56 AM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS4000 View Post
It is in SH3

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 03:28 PM   #8
Marcello
Planesman

Downloads: 49

OTOH, just because you are resting on the bottom it does not mean you are undetectable. I would suspect that a WW2 sonar might have a more difficult time discriminating the submarine from the sea floor and you can pass yourself off for a wreck but that's it. For what is worth I found this reference

Quote:
Schnorchel U-boat has been the chief concern of surface craft, whose main difficulty has been that of distinguishing between a bottomed U-boat and a wreck. An extensive survey of wrecks in British waters helped considerably in solving this problem.
As I recall the Lusitania wreck was used for ASW target practice and is said to be littered with hedgehog projectiles. At one point one was brought up by divers who had exchanged it for a bottle, needless to say it was quite a shock

Quote:
Actually different materials do have different reflection characteristics, though how well ww2 vintage sonars could exploit that I would not know.

Last edited by Marcello; 01-21-13 at 03:49 PM.
Marcello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 01:28 AM   #9
Aras
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello View Post
I would suspect that a WW2 sonar might have a more difficult time discriminating the submarine from the sea floor and you can pass yourself off for a wreck but that's it.
Very good point. I tried this yesterday, I sit on the bottom (65 m) repaired my damage, rig for silent running ,set course to 10, left the sea floor with 1 knots. however a few minutes later the DD which was hovering on the surface ,started to ping again. Got away securely.

The Year is 1940,Scapa Flow. Terrific Weather, can't see further than 600-700 meters. Lots of DD patrolling there I wonder why While heading for the western Cost of England, I Sunk 1 A&B Class with magnetic torpedo

Old 01-29-13, 09:37 AM   #10
Grun Teufel
Watch

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras View Post
Very good point. I tried this yesterday, I sit on the bottom (65 m) repaired my damage, rig for silent running ,set course to 10, left the sea floor with 1 knots. however a few minutes later the DD which was hovering on the surface ,started to ping again. Got away securely.

The Year is 1940,Scapa Flow. Terrific Weather, can't see further than 600-700 meters. Lots of DD patrolling there I wonder why While heading for the western Cost of England, I Sunk 1 A&B Class with magnetic torpedo
I have "laid flat" against the sea floor before with very positive results. Early in the war, it works like a charm. Just hold still and repair damage only. I once had two DDs try to find me for hours. They kept a "tag team" like system in the area . One would try to ping and hear for me while the other would depth charge where they thought I was. However, the area they chose was a few hundred meters away. While timing myself to the depth charges, I slowly crawled away; stopping when the depth charges stop. The other DD began his attack run dropping more depth charges in the area that they thought I was in, so I moved again because the noise from the depth charges disrupt the sonar and the guy on the hydrophones can't decipher anything but the explosions making your escape possible.
At this point my depth under keel was about 2 meters, sometimes just 1. I think I was between 60 to 70 below the surface. Clear weather too. That is another factor too- weather. If the sea above you is rough, that will make the enemy's search for you even more rough.
I hope this bit of story telling helps you out of a close call or two.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
Grun Teufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-13, 09:46 AM   #11
Aras
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grun Teufel View Post
That is another factor too- weather. If the sea above you is rough, that will make the enemy's search for you even more rough.
I hope this bit of story telling helps you out of a close call or two.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
I will defiantly keep this in mind. Thx