SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-30-20, 07:16 AM   #406
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default A couple of comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
as I mention, once the game "sees" you, and that can be if you used your radio.....The game will "cheat" and send airmen dedicated to the Emperor who will fly their planes beyond bingo, just for the possibility to attack you... We want to turn that behavior down maybe a pinch, and we're getting close, but not just yet. Sure, there could be a set of ships with float planes on them tracking you, with Wake as their initial contact point, but in that area, it is probably still Wake sending out the planes..
propbeanie, thank you for your reply.

I've learned to stay out of visual range of aircraft at all times by adjusting speed, course and/or crash diving. Do not let their nav marker turn red. I only send radio messages when I complete an objective so I can receive a new objective; otherwise, radio silence.

Off the coast of Japan in June 1942, I did an end-around to gain a perfect firing position (1200 yards and 45-90 degree AOB) on a solitary Corvette Kanamura. Recognition book shows a 6.6-foot draft. The automatic torpedo depth showed the same 6.6 while it normally would show torpedo depth of 3-feet shallower than draft; and as I changed the depth dial, it would not re-adjust depth with the LOCK button as it normally would. First of all, the draft in the recog book is probably wrong, I guess should be around 10 to 13 feet. Googled the ship name to get correct info and found there was never a Japanese class ship with the name Kanamura as you pointed out in a 2017 SubSim post. IIRC, you mentioned the possibility of changing the name and some other details on this ship cause there had been reports of problems with several solitary Kanamura vessels spawning off the coast of Japan.

That being said, here's the real problem: my torpedo hits broadside at correct depth resulting in a huge explosion and fire ball that I could see under water in the event camera. And this small, coastal vessel sustains no damage what so ever, does not even slow down, then it turns 90-degrees to charge right for me. I quickly fired 2 more rear torpedoes and crash dived. The corvette evaded both. Is this vessel Superman or what?

Also regarding this post, please keep the game historically correct and as realistic as possible. Much appreciated! Looking forward to the anticipated update. Thank you for your attention.
Old 01-30-20, 08:28 PM   #407
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Zelda View Post
propbeanie, thank you for your reply.

I've learned to stay out of visual range of aircraft at all times by adjusting speed, course and/or crash diving. Do not let their nav marker turn red. I only send radio messages when I complete an objective so I can receive a new objective; otherwise, radio silence.

Off the coast of Japan in June 1942, I did an end-around to gain a perfect firing position (1200 yards and 45-90 degree AOB) on a solitary Corvette Kanamura. Recognition book shows a 6.6-foot draft. The automatic torpedo depth showed the same 6.6 while it normally would show torpedo depth of 3-feet shallower than draft; and as I changed the depth dial, it would not re-adjust depth with the LOCK button as it normally would. First of all, the draft in the recog book is probably wrong, I guess should be around 10 to 13 feet. Googled the ship name to get correct info and found there was never a Japanese class ship with the name Kanamura as you pointed out in a 2017 SubSim post. IIRC, you mentioned the possibility of changing the name and some other details on this ship cause there had been reports of problems with several solitary Kanamura vessels spawning off the coast of Japan.

That being said, here's the real problem: my torpedo hits broadside at correct depth resulting in a huge explosion and fire ball that I could see under water in the event camera. And this small, coastal vessel sustains no damage what so ever, does not even slow down, then it turns 90-degrees to charge right for me. I quickly fired 2 more rear torpedoes and crash dived. The corvette evaded both. Is this vessel Superman or what?

Also regarding this post, please keep the game historically correct and as realistic as possible. Much appreciated! Looking forward to the anticipated update. Thank you for your attention.
Perhaps the DEVs were trying to sneak something like Kanamara Matsuri into the game. It is a Japanese festival. I hope I can attend one day .

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 05:57 PM   #408
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Corvette Kanamura

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
I hope I can attend one day .
Patrolling area 4 off coast of Japan and along comes another solitary warship at 4 knots. Went to periscope depth along it's path and ID it as another Corvette Kanamura as I waited for it to sail by. Now for sweet revenge.

Fired two shallow torpedoes (set at 5 feet) from rear tubes with a perfect setup at 1400 yards. Watched them (on attack map) travel straight and true until impact. I believe I saw them hit in the event camera. Nothing, duds? Really? Rapidly fired 2 poorly aimed, rear torpedoes as the Kanamura turned and raced toward me as I crashed dived.

propbeanie,
Is there any way you can check out this Kanamura vessel? It appeared to be riding higher than normal in the water and the recognition book says its draft is 6.6 feet, both I question. I'd guess draft should really be 9 to 13 feet for its size. I normally don't have this problem with a "sitting duck" especially twice.

Thanks.
Old 02-04-20, 02:34 PM   #409
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Sorry - I'm out of town and quite busy. The Kanamaru (from memory) is a little 3-stacker gunboat, and is quite shallow draft. If I remember, an impact set to 5 foot passes below. 4.8 foot is stuck in my mind, but might be 4.3 - cannot remember.... the magnetics set to like 10-12 will sometimes pass below and not detonate, and when they do, are sometimes not close enough to cause much damage. I will double- check it again when I get back.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 07:13 AM   #410
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Nearest Visual Contact to read yards instead of feet?

I'd like to have the Nearest Visual Contact read Yards not Feet.

4616=Nearest Visual Contact at Bearing %03.0f, Range %.0f %s!

The above text command appears in the menu file under SH4/Data/Menu/menu and gives the range in feet not yards, which is very awkward to me.

Does anyone know of an edit to the above command 4616 that would give the range in yards?

For example, I successfully changed the Report Weather text command 4128 to shorten it from its normal 3 lines of text to 2 lines as follows:

;4128=Clouds %s, Precipitations %s, Fog %s|Wind Speed %d meters per second, direction %3d.
4128=Sky %s, Precip %s, Fog %s|Wind Speed %d meters per second, direction %3d.
Old 02-06-20, 08:14 AM   #411
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1786
Default Can't do it.

This unfortunately is a hard coded issue. It can't be changed. Not unless some forward thinking gentleman decides to modify the code like a few people did in SH3.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-20, 07:09 AM   #412
FotRSU Mod Team
Team Leader

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 3

We thank everyone for their patience as we attempt to get the next release out of the door. We had a few false starts previously and had to take the mod back into the garage for additional wrenching but we think we have a good, viable release as of a bit over a week ago. However, real life has stepped in the way once again, and some personal issues are having to be dealt with by a several of the team members. Between our employment commitments, and sickness in the families, we are stressed by time and not getting enough playtime for testing. We don't want to release something that fixes two things and breaks three. Hopefully by the middle or late next week we'll have the new version posted - but it is dependent upon testing results. Just a reminder in that you can watch the first few posts on Page 1 of the thread, and when time permits, there are updates between Post #1 and Post #5 at times. Thank you.
Old 02-07-20, 03:22 PM   #413
Obercunnersdorf
Swabbie

Downloads: 280

Hi, great mod. Will it be available in Spanish?
PS: Sorry for my scary English
Obercunnersdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-20, 12:34 PM   #414
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotRSU Mod Team View Post
We thank everyone for their patience as we attempt to get the next release out of the door. We had a few false starts previously and had to take the mod back into the garage for additional wrenching but we think we have a good, viable release as of a bit over a week ago. However, real life has stepped in the way once again, and some personal issues are having to be dealt with by a several of the team members. Between our employment commitments, and sickness in the families, we are stressed by time and not getting enough playtime for testing. We don't want to release something that fixes two things and breaks three. Hopefully by the middle or late next week we'll have the new version posted - but it is dependent upon testing results. Just a reminder in that you can watch the first few posts on Page 1 of the thread, and when time permits, there are updates between Post #1 and Post #5 at times. Thank you.

Wishing the team wellness and safety. Thank you for what you do.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-20, 09:47 AM   #415
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default File Name Too Long?

For various reasons, I needed to uninstall and re-install SH4 & SH4 with U-boat Missions from Steam.

For the first time, I came across "File Name Too Long" warning when installing FotRS UE into my MOD folder; 8 files found for with name too long for "Insertion Coast Watcher Bouganville".

Note: I did have Large Address Aware installed. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 02-11-20, 12:20 PM   #416
propbeanie

How "deep" in the folder structure are you with the game? A "default" stock Steam install will be "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific \Data \Campains \Campaign \PatrolObjectives \Insertion Coast Watcher Bouganville \Insertion Coast Watcher Bouganville.mis" (and .tsr), well within the theoretical 255-260 character limit for Windows file/path names. For the Steam game to be modded, you have to move the Library to another path, of course, and mine ends up being a shorter path than Steam's original. Another reason might be the hard drive itself. Have you done a scan on it, and made certain that it doesn't have bad sectors (surely not)? Or how about write-protection?

Old 02-11-20, 01:30 PM   #417
burki
Watch

Downloads: 121

Is the next patch gonna fix the save game corruption? Im getting a lot of corruption and crashes when I load saves. Its annoying tbh. I rarely got corruption in the non-full release version of FOTRS.
burki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 01:46 PM   #418
propbeanie

Near as we can tell, there is an airplane (or two or three) that has something "off" in some part of its config. s7rikeback spent several weeks going through them all and straightening out the configs so that all planes are consistently done. If this was the problem, it should "fix" the issue. We have been adding a Save and Load sequence to the testing paradigm, and that is helping us root out other issues also. Nine times out of 10 though, if a Load fails, it will have involved one of the planes in the "scene" of the Save.

All that said, it must be remembered, that when activating FotRSU, you ~must~ clear the Save folder contents, so that there is no corruption from previous versions of the game. Unless you've used MultiSH4, the default path is "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4". Another thing, and I don't know if this is just my computer or not, but on my Windows 10 machine, I have to select all files in the SH4 folder (use the <Ctrl><A> combo), and then right-click and use "Properties", then in the "Read-only" attribute, clear the little tick box and "OK" it, and for all sub-folders and files, then try applying the FotRSU mod. My Windows 10 ignores and runs over all of my user changes on a daily basis, and that is one of the most irritating...

Old 02-11-20, 03:09 PM   #419
burki
Watch

Downloads: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Near as we can tell, there is an airplane (or two or three) that has something "off" in some part of its config. s7rikeback spent several weeks going through them all and straightening out the configs so that all planes are consistently done. If this was the problem, it should "fix" the issue. We have been adding a Save and Load sequence to the testing paradigm, and that is helping us root out other issues also. Nine times out of 10 though, if a Load fails, it will have involved one of the planes in the "scene" of the Save.

All that said, it must be remembered, that when activating FotRSU, you ~must~ clear the Save folder contents, so that there is no corruption from previous versions of the game. Unless you've used MultiSH4, the default path is "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4". Another thing, and I don't know if this is just my computer or not, but on my Windows 10 machine, I have to select all files in the SH4 folder (use the <Ctrl><A> combo), and then right-click and use "Properties", then in the "Read-only" attribute, clear the little tick box and "OK" it, and for all sub-folders and files, then try applying the FotRSU mod. My Windows 10 ignores and runs over all of my user changes on a daily basis, and that is one of the most irritating...

I have literally reinstalled the game and deleted the sh4 folder in my documents. Saves become unplayable usually when im by japanese ships and airplanes. Its annoying as hell. Plus ive been getting the usual sh4 glitch where the deck crew sometimes doesnt want to show itself when I surface / or they love the water and dont go inside when I submerge way more often now then in previous editions of FOTRSU
burki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 03:52 PM   #420
propbeanie

Those do not sound like our typical batch of troubles lately in the SH4 FotRSU mod... I am more inclined to wonder about your use of LAA instead. There should be two versions of LAA that will show in the "Extras" folder after you activate FotRSU. You can use either of those. One is for a 'modern' computer with netFramework v4, the other is for computers without netFramework. You could also use the NTCore utility, or any one of the utilities that Jeff-Groves and others have posted in the SubSim Downloads sections. If you have attempted to activate one of those memory management programs, and still have the issue, then right-click on your SH4.exe file, and make certain that its "Read-only " attribute box is cleared. If it wasn't, try to re-activate the memory app on it after clearing that. Most of those apps do not "throw" an error for a failure to write to the file's header... The stock game can run fine without that activated, but FotRSU and other mods need that extra memory that is gained from that. Now, if you happen to have a 32-bit version of Windows, let me know, and we'll try to tailor something specifically for you. However, we need to know the particulars of your computer, such as make or brand of the computer, model number of it or the cpu and motherboard, the amount of RAM you do have in the system, how many sticks of that you have, and the Windows OS that you are using. Windows XP is easiest to deal with, but the others are not particularly difficult, just a bit more scary...