SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-18-20, 10:09 AM   #1
pratolano
Watch

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 0
Default Conning tower: door as exit?

Hello!

This may be a bit of a silly question, but I'm playing a Sargo class sub (TMO mod). From within the conning tower, I see a door located by the TDC. From the other side, though, I don't see a door there, just the two door-shaped openings that lead from an empty space to the port and starboard bow (no actual door).

In the real sub, was there a door there from the conning tower out to the bridge like it shows from the internal view in SH4, or did crewmen always have to climb up the ladder and through the hatch to get to the bridge? It looks like that ladder + hatch leads to a little, semi-covered area on the bridge that then has two tiny staircases up to the main part of the bridge.

I'm just trying to visualize what paths the crewmen in WW2 would have to take to get up to the bridge, or down into the boat when going back in. I've tried to find actual photos of how all this works, but not much luck.
pratolano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-20, 10:47 AM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratolano View Post
Hello!

This may be a bit of a silly question, but I'm playing a Sargo class sub (TMO mod). From within the conning tower, I see a door located by the TDC. From the other side, though, I don't see a door there, just the two door-shaped openings that lead from an empty space to the port and starboard bow (no actual door).

In the real sub, was there a door there from the conning tower out to the bridge like it shows from the internal view in SH4, or did crewmen always have to climb up the ladder and through the hatch to get to the bridge? It looks like that ladder + hatch leads to a little, semi-covered area on the bridge that then has two tiny staircases up to the main part of the bridge.

I'm just trying to visualize what paths the crewmen in WW2 would have to take to get up to the bridge, or down into the boat when going back in. I've tried to find actual photos of how all this works, but not much luck.
Pratolano,

in the early WWII subs, there was a non-pressurized hatch in the conning tower that lead to either the bridge above or to a pressurized hatch into the control room. yes, there was a vertical ladder to get to the bridge.

as soon as the war began and the US discovered that the large conning towers were huge targets for enemy spotters, the US began to trim down the conning towers, both in mass and in height. when that happened, those non-pressurized doors went away.

as far as photos are concerned, you have to find an exterior shot from a pre-war sub. you can see the hatch in the after part of the tower in this photo. it is difficult to find this feature in the few WWII subs that have survived into the 21st century because they were updated as previously mentioned.

try and visit one of the few remaining subs: Pampanito in SF Wharf (this is a herded tour so you may not get the chance to wander), Cod, in Cleveland (have not been there in many years and do not know her condition), Silversides (Muskegeon, MI), Cobia (Manitowc, WI) which is in excellent condition. they even take her out once or twice a year. there are others but i have not visited them so i cannot comment.

i hope that helps.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-20, 12:16 PM   #3
pratolano
Watch

Downloads: 100

Thanks for the great information! I think I know what you mean about the changes - I see a hatch there next to the TDC in-game, but when I look at "Conning Tower Aft" photos of the USS Pampanito, it's a solid wall, so that might be part of the changes. The USS Torsk does seem to have the hatch, but when I toured it, the conning tower was not accessible.

In the USS Growler photo then, if I'm interpreting it correctly, you would climb up a ladder from the conning tower to the bridge, and you'd end up in the space underneath those portholes. Then you would ascend a few steps to the main part of the bridge where the lookouts were. So during a crash dive, for example, you'd descend those steps and climb down the ladder back inside.
pratolano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-20, 12:52 PM   #4
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

Slightly O/T but an informative guide to Gato class visual changes is found in Part One of the "Visual Guide to US Fleet Submarines"
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-20, 01:20 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Oooh-ooo-ooh... nice one jimmbbo... all other tasks have now stopped for the day...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-20, 01:30 PM   #6
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratolano View Post
Thanks for the great information! I think I know what you mean about the changes - I see a hatch there next to the TDC in-game, but when I look at "Conning Tower Aft" photos of the USS Pampanito, it's a solid wall, so that might be part of the changes. The USS Torsk does seem to have the hatch, but when I toured it, the conning tower was not accessible.

In the USS Growler photo then, if I'm interpreting it correctly, you would climb up a ladder from the conning tower to the bridge, and you'd end up in the space underneath those portholes. Then you would ascend a few steps to the main part of the bridge where the lookouts were. So during a crash dive, for example, you'd descend those steps and climb down the ladder back inside.
most likely.

the hatch is difficult to explain without actually being able to experience it either in the past or in a present day archive/exhibit. for example, the Cobia center allowed certain visitors to access the conning tower from the control room hatch but no one was allowed on the bridge in any way, shape, or form.

don't feel badly. this is similar to asking about anything that has become obsolete. we can read about them and maybe see photos of the exterior but there is no one alive who actually used one and the object itself no longer exists.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote