SUBSIM Radio Room Forums



SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2020, 04:07 AM   #1
Kapitšn
Grey Wolf
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Posts: 915
Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Default Sunrise and Sunset shifting

Hi All,

I've been experiencing an intersting phenomenon as of late:

The sunrise and sunset are shifting, at times to a point, wheras it is dark during the day and light during the night.

Before, it happened when being far north/south and I explained it for that reason.

Now, it's happening just west of Lorient.

I'm using CoM10.0.

You guys have any clues?
__________________
GWX 3.0 Gold/CCoM 10.0 + h.sie-patch; Windows 7 (64-bit); NVIDIA GeForce GTX650 (310.90)
Kapitšn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:11 AM   #2
Levyathan89
Electrician's Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Dresden, Germany
Posts: 137
Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0
Default

I know this phenomenon from Silent Hunter 4 (Dark Waters). There, these shifts are caused by using high levels of time compression over a long time period. Haven't seen this in SH3 yet, though.
Levyathan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:17 AM   #3
Kapitšn
Grey Wolf
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Posts: 915
Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levyathan89 View Post
I know this phenomenon from Silent Hunter 4 (Dark Waters). There, these shifts are caused by using high levels of time compression over a long time period. Haven't seen this in SH3 yet, though.

Thanks!

The highest time compression I go to is 64x and never longer than several hours or so ...
__________________
GWX 3.0 Gold/CCoM 10.0 + h.sie-patch; Windows 7 (64-bit); NVIDIA GeForce GTX650 (310.90)
Kapitšn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:33 AM   #4
Kapitšn
Grey Wolf
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Posts: 915
Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Default

Further details:

23 Sept.1940 - Sunrise 10:00 - Sunset 22:49

24 Sept.1940 - Sunrise 11:56 - Sunset 00:40, 25 Sept.

25 Sept.1940 - Sunrise 21:41 - Sunset 10:01, 26 Sept.

26 Sept. 1940 - Sunrise 23:30 - Sunset 11:22, 27 Sept.

I wonder, if this could have something to do with the Randomised Events File of CCoM10 ...
__________________
GWX 3.0 Gold/CCoM 10.0 + h.sie-patch; Windows 7 (64-bit); NVIDIA GeForce GTX650 (310.90)

Last edited by Kapitšn; 06-11-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Kapitšn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:12 AM   #5
Fifi
Silent Hunter
 
Fifi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: France - South West
Posts: 4,772
Downloads: 425
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitšn View Post
.

I wonder, if this could have something to do with the Randomised Events File of CCoM10 ...
Donít think so.
Your weather clock seems running offset...maybe reset the weather? (Donít remember the hot keys)
__________________
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:56 AM   #6
Kapitšn
Grey Wolf
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Posts: 915
Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Don’t think so.
Your weather clock seems running offset...maybe reset the weather? (Don’t remember the hot keys)
"Weather Clock - Reset": I didn't even know, that there was such a thing ...

Where do I find that, please?
__________________
GWX 3.0 Gold/CCoM 10.0 + h.sie-patch; Windows 7 (64-bit); NVIDIA GeForce GTX650 (310.90)
Kapitšn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:55 AM   #7
Fifi
Silent Hunter
 
Fifi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: France - South West
Posts: 4,772
Downloads: 425
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitšn View Post
"Weather Clock - Reset": I didn't even know, that there was such a thing ...

Where do I find that, please?
I think itís Ctr+N...but it might be only for SH4 weather...never tried in SH3
__________________
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:48 AM   #8
Kapitšn
Grey Wolf
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Posts: 915
Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
I think itís Ctr+N...but it might be only for SH4 weather...never tried in SH3

Well, Ctr+N is "UZO-Down" in CCoM10 (Shift+N is "UZO-Up") ...
__________________
GWX 3.0 Gold/CCoM 10.0 + h.sie-patch; Windows 7 (64-bit); NVIDIA GeForce GTX650 (310.90)
Kapitšn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:57 PM   #9
Pisces
Silent Hunter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: AN9771
Posts: 4,830
Downloads: 286
Uploads: 0


Default

Not only has the time of sunrise and sunset shifted. They are expanded far too much with a longer daytime in your example. Around the 26th of september is the equinox. Meaning duration of night and day should be the same. So if it is sunrise at 10:01 it would be expected to be sunset at 22:01-ish. Sunrise in Lorient, France on 23rd of September in 1940 was actually 08:01 and 20:09 local time.

September 1940, Lorien, France:
https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/@643...th=9&year=1940

Your data is completely fubared from real.
__________________
My site downloads: https://ricojansen.nl/downloads
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:22 PM   #10
Aquelarrefox
Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 456
Downloads: 159
Uploads: 0
Default

The sunset shifts in local time smoothly between dates if you travel changing longitude the sunset will be offset much by the guidance to local time. Anyway the game local time is not real local time like in astronomy, is local huso time
__________________
Having a HARD TIME with CONSOLIDATE GRANMA MOD...
Aquelarrefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:26 AM   #11
Kapitšn
Grey Wolf
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Posts: 915
Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
Not only has the time of sunrise and sunset shifted. They are expanded far too much with a longer daytime in your example. Around the 26th of september is the equinox. Meaning duration of night and day should be the same. So if it is sunrise at 10:01 it would be expected to be sunset at 22:01-ish. Sunrise in Lorient, France on 23rd of September in 1940 was actually 08:01 and 20:09 local time.

September 1940, Lorien, France:
https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/@643...th=9&year=1940

Your data is completely fubared from real.

Thanks for the link! Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case in my game ... I wonder what the reason could be ...
__________________
GWX 3.0 Gold/CCoM 10.0 + h.sie-patch; Windows 7 (64-bit); NVIDIA GeForce GTX650 (310.90)
Kapitšn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:29 AM   #12
Kapitšn
Grey Wolf
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Posts: 915
Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquelarrefox View Post
The sunset shifts in local time smoothly between dates if you travel changing longitude the sunset will be offset much by the guidance to local time. Anyway the game local time is not real local time like in astronomy, is local huso time

Yes, I have always experienced a gradual shifting in Sunset/Sunrise and basically, attributed it to your explanation. I just haven't seen it change so drastically and wonder, what the cause may be ...
__________________
GWX 3.0 Gold/CCoM 10.0 + h.sie-patch; Windows 7 (64-bit); NVIDIA GeForce GTX650 (310.90)
Kapitšn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:13 AM   #13
Aquelarrefox
Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 456
Downloads: 159
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitšn View Post
Yes, I have always experienced a gradual shifting in Sunset/Sunrise and basically, attributed it to your explanation. I just haven't seen it change so drastically and wonder, what the cause may be ...
You can search about navigation issues,I believe the cause of them could shift sunset. I know there was an accumulate shift or a reset. Personally I didn't realise an excessive change to notice... How long it's your patrol?
__________________
Having a HARD TIME with CONSOLIDATE GRANMA MOD...
Aquelarrefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:12 AM   #14
Kapitšn
Grey Wolf
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Posts: 915
Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquelarrefox View Post
You can search about navigation issues,I believe the cause of them could shift sunset. I know there was an accumulate shift or a reset. Personally I didn't realise an excessive change to notice... How long it's your patrol?

I left St.Nazaire on 22 Sept. 1940 ...
__________________
GWX 3.0 Gold/CCoM 10.0 + h.sie-patch; Windows 7 (64-bit); NVIDIA GeForce GTX650 (310.90)
Kapitšn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:44 AM   #15
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker
 
Doolar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Baltimore,Md./ CA45
Posts: 565
Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0
Default Just'a thought

Funny how this post came up, I've just experienced the same thing. In my patrol, I left Breast for AE77. That's just a tad SW of Iceland. I'm aware it's far north and it was July. All was good until I took a cruse to the north side of Iceland. At that point my daylight hours started at 1630 and ended at 2330 and stayed that way until I finished the patrol in September. I had a lot of success in the BE and BF grids after hanging around Iceland and moving south, so head'n home was not an option. It was still messed up. I was in the northern latitudes for about 50 days and never go above 64x. I'm also using GWX3. I've only experienced this 1 other time, many patrols and many years ago. After docking and ending that patrol, I started another patrol and all was good. The day/night times must have reset or something. This is only the 2nd time I've had this happen. I wounder if it had something to do with the arctic day/night cycle in summer months for extended periods of time. Just'a thought.
__________________
ONEALEX / Toyotagt86 / CCoM12
Doolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2022 Subsim®
"Subsim" is a registered trademark, all rights reserved.