SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-10, 01:41 PM   #1
jaxa
The Old Man

Downloads: 413
Uploads: 0
Default OM vs GWX

I'd like to try OM for playing campaign. I was always a big GWX admirer and I want to know if these two mods are similar or not, in which case better is GWX and in which case OM. Could you compare it?
Old 06-25-10, 01:52 PM   #2
Gorshkov
Commodore

Downloads: 139

You have "SHIV+OM+OMEGU" attached to your signature and you did not play OM campaign???
Old 06-25-10, 02:57 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I play both. SH4 is a much better starting point. It has far better graphics, vastly better crew management, better radio management, a playable radio as well as the gramophone; it loads faster and is more stable.

OM as a campaign is as good as anything made for SH3. The only thing lacking is all the goodies that come from a large team. SH4 still lacks the cool harbors and every other piece of eye candy that is still being made today.

SH3 goes way beyond any supermod these days. If you're not using FlakMonkey's New Interiors and Diving Duck's latest Open Hatch and the Open Conning Tower Hatch mods, along with the New Wilhelmshaven mod you're really missing out. If those things appeal to you stick with SH3 (I do).

If the things SH4+OM+OMEGU bring to the table appeal to you then play OM (I do).

If people were modding SH4 the way they keep modding SH3 I would put 3 on the shelf and never look back.

That's really about it.
Old 06-25-10, 03:11 PM   #4
Gorshkov
Commodore

In the last OM version there is lack of compatibility with RFB and TMO supermods. For people who wanna play both sides at the same time without switching supermods with JSGME it can be some drawback because enabling/disabling OM+OMEGU mods take a lot of time.

You should also read first lurker's post in OM and OMEGU threads. He summarized there both mods limitations. There are four most important of them:

- mission tasks are often badly linked to Kriegsmarine's grid map

- C02 still raises during snorkel operation

- Elektrobots' range/speed performance is wrong

- you cannot close to major US/UK harbors during campaign game-play due to CTD

One may like or not Karamazov's targeting system mod (similar to OLC GUI) included in OMEGU but it is impossible to disable it without disabling entire OMEGU mod.

On the other hand SH3 is simply an older game - graphics is much worse, loading times with GWX and other badly needed mods are awfully long, 16:10 wide-screen support does not exist at the time. I installed SH3+GWX3 a few days ago to have a look at both but I honesty think SH4 is much better so I uninstalled SH3 completely. As for now I think SH4/UBM+OM+OMEGU is the only choice for virtual U-boat skipper. Let's wait for modders to improve SH5 somewhat or their possible return to GWX4 idea...

Last edited by Gorshkov; 06-25-10 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-25-10, 06:50 PM   #5
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorshkov View Post
You have "SHIV+OM+OMEGU" attached to your signature and you did not play OM campaign???
win
Old 06-25-10, 07:36 PM   #6
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Way back the SH4 Modders took a stance against anything GWX!
If you were a GWX Member?
You were hated and dismissed,
Talked about in Secrect hidden forum areas,
And options were discussed about how to stop the GWX Team with legal actions!

Now it's almost demanded that GWX for SH4 is revived.
Seeing the total failure of SH5 has brought this about, I'm sure.

I'll say this and those involved will understand!

I worked long and hard in many areas.
Some areas would disable the Fleet Boat stuff.
(That was the legal threat!)
But it could be adapted for Fleet Boat only!

I also crossed the line by adapting some Hard Code.
Again, Fleet Boat Guys could have had a feild day with this approach!

I, and the whole Team, were spit on from day one.
And to this day!
When someone ask permissions for something we have done that they want,
They refuse to credit the GWX Team.

So why should we assist in any manor or mean?

It's not that I can't.
It's just that I won't.

Old 06-25-10, 09:13 PM   #7
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:

- you cannot close to major US/UK harbors during campaign game-play due to CTD
This statement in not factual

from the first post of the OM thread

Quote:
1.Because of a design feature that prevents ships from spawning within 20km of ownship, stay clear of all major US/UK ports.
Nothing was said about CTD.

To clarify; if a ship/convoy track starts in a port and the players boat is within 20km, then that ship/convoy will not be created.
Old 06-25-10, 10:21 PM   #8
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193

GWX is a more complete package with deeper content, but based on an older platform. It's held dear in alot of hearts around here, and often used as the benchmark to compare all other mods with. (rightly or wrongly)

Despite that, OM + OMEGU is a very nice package, and when coupled with a few other mods, actually weaned me off of SH3 onto SH4. Something I thought would never happen.

Both base platforms (SH3 and SH4) have their own issues, but whichever way you go, you will not be disappointed with either of these mods.
Old 06-26-10, 06:56 AM   #9
Gorshkov
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker_hlb3 View Post
This statement in not factual

from the first post of the OM thread

Nothing was said about CTD.

To clarify; if a ship/convoy track starts in a port and the players boat is within 20km, then that ship/convoy will not be created.
Anyway Royale-Audio experienced CTD watching through periscope in that situation.

PS. What a beautiful poem about GWX Team bad fate, Privateer.

Last edited by Gorshkov; 06-26-10 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-26-10, 08:03 AM   #10
jaxa
The Old Man

Quote:
I have it installed but have no time to play campaign, only single missions for compare to SH3/GWX and SH5.
OM has much better graphics than SH3 indeed, but what about playability? GWX campaign is superb work, I'd like to know what about OM campaign? Is it true that there is no neutral shipping in OM campaign? I've read it somewhere.
Old 06-26-10, 08:38 AM   #11
Gorshkov
Commodore

I would say SH4 has much better graphics than SH3. Yet I think regardless of all GWX3 goodies it is time to switch to SH4 platform anyway because SH3 is not perspective now and it is exhausted its potential. That is why some GWX-like approach to SH4/UBM is needed. Maybe OM+OMEGU mods would be be a nice point to start?
Old 06-26-10, 09:34 AM   #12
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Anyway Royale-Audio experienced CTD watching through periscope in that situation.
Don't "assume" that based on his statement. I was unable to recreate his problem. I take CTD issues and seriously will always investigate and atempt to correct.

Last edited by lurker_hlb3; 06-27-10 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-26-10, 09:36 AM   #13
jaxa
The Old Man

It would be fantastic to merge OM graphic and rest with GWX campaign and all other SH3 goodies. It's a pity that it won't be GWX4, it could be better than SH5.

What about neutral ships in OM?

Last edited by jaxa; 06-26-10 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-26-10, 03:33 PM   #14
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
Way back the SH4 Modders took a stance against anything GWX!
If you were a GWX Member?
You were hated and dismissed,
So, when GWX were modding SH4 for GWX4, does that mean that they hated themslves - as they were SH4 modders at that point? That's not good for any team.

I'm surprised you would dredge up this stuff Privateer, I thought you were preaching a new live and let live approach, so I don't get what you have to gain by saying this stuff. I remember when the 'merging' happened and I have to say that there were three sides -

One side thought they were right and the other side was wrong,
The other side thought they were right and the other side was wrong,
The third side thought the other two sides were arrogant because they didn't even for a moment acknowledge or even consider the third side and for that, they thought the other two sides were a bunch of self centred people only concerned with their own false arguments and a desire to be right. The third side would have been perfectly happy if both of the other sides fell off the face of the Earth.

Last edited by Nisgeis; 06-26-10 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-27-10, 05:23 AM   #15
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

Quote:

One may like or not Karamazov's targeting system mod (similar to OLC GUI) included in OMEGU but it is impossible to disable it without disabling entire OMEGU mod.
Yes it is, just copy the entire [G26], [G28] and [G2B] pages from the original menu1024_768.ini file and copy over the dials.cfg file. The extra images won't be used and I haven't touched anything in the original image files. Actually, I knew people might have problems so at first I only made the Attack Periscope. Hitman did the rest, if I recall correctly. Anyway I haven't even tried that version, being stuck at the end (not even the middle) of nowhere with a laptop with a 32MB integrated graphics card for months now

As for the GWX-SH4 issue. I'm relatively new here so I've missed the circus although I keep hearing rumors and references about the Big War. I think that GWX4 for SH4 is completely unnecessary at this point. OM is pushing the limits of what can be done with the SH4 engine without breaking codes. The only thing to add would be some more eye-candy. Both SH3 and SH4 have reached the limit of what can (or should) be done to them. They're perfectly playable as they are. SH5 isn't and it reaaaaaly needs a good supermod. In the meantime I'll keep playing OM (sh3 is just too buggy for me).

Although I haven't played SH5 for months (because I can't), I keep an eye on TDK's progress with scripting. Guys... think about it... Saving and loading new variables in custom files? HOLY F_CK!!!! If only we had this for SH4 too
Closed Thread