SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-19-11, 02:37 PM   #91
brabham85
Seaman

Downloads: 296
Uploads: 0

What can I say?

My first Silent Hunter was the 3. And I was so dig in, the game was so intense, the perspective of a naval game with so much detail and history was great at the time, the perspective of a new view on the second world war games is the greatest appeal of Silent Hunter titles. And for years, even now, with all the mods and stuff that refine SH3 to may taste, I'm still have a crush to this old, and great, sea wolf.

But, let's face it: the game is dated. SH3 has got the limits, there isn't the step further because the next step is SH4.

I'll play U-boat HAHD on SH3 or 4, even 5 - if you're nuts enough for that, because 5 is eye candy, but has only type 7 and it isn't a simulator - but, in my opinion, the efforts should aim in SH4. The game has, in my understanding, a better support, more resources e more ground to further developments then SH3.
brabham85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 06:26 PM   #92
Diablo2
Mate

Downloads: 85

Looks like SH4 is on the backburner as of now. Hopefully they'l get around to modding this game, unfortunately it just seems like most have jumped from SH3 to 5 or just stayed on 3 and never gave 4 a chance.. Anyway i support HAHD whatever engine they take ill probably end up playing it. Hell i still have SH2 installed, might try modding that lol.. jkjk
Diablo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 08:10 PM   #93
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Once upon a time there was a GWX4 in the planning. First it got put aside for GWX3 (which, while for SH3 was not a new thing, but an extension of 2.1) then dropped altogether due to the impending release of SH5. Don't get your hopes up though. That team disbanded at that time and have gone their separate ways. Some of them are still working on things, mostly SH5 but a little SH4.

HAHD is our biggest hope for the future right now, but not until the SH3 version is finished.
Old 09-20-11, 01:41 PM   #94
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Downloads: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakkhen20 View Post
hey hans, glad to see you made your way down into SH4 mods. by far it would be great and awsome for you to extend your talents in improving OM for the SH community. i do not take any credit on the work that has been done in our mod The Kriegsmarine add-on mod for OM, i just started the idea and was trying to keep the fire started but from some real life situations and lack of communications it would seem that fire has died out. we did have a modder that was transferring SH5 uboats to OM such as the TypeVII A,B,C and perhaps later the IXDs. the type A was coming along excellent and was beautiful so far. I have a sound fix that brought the GWX feel into the game and background fixes and wallpapers and some lighting and weather improvments, oh and we had Wolfpacks figured out but was working on models. but as you stated before the fire has died out due to SH5 and loyal SH3 fans. so like i said its nice to see you in here poking around and i wish it would be more exciting though.

Regards,
drakkhen20
P.S.- in regards to our mod. if you have any further questions PM me.
Hi mate,

Thank for replying and it is nice to see you are still active on this forum.

Fot the moment i will put it on ice since we must finish and deliver for SH3 but at the end most of the work would just have to be port in SH4.

And yes i know that it is pretty hard these days to find fellows modders that are dedicated onto the long journey of building a supermod.

These days people just consumed and trash everything in a matter of week but i am not like that when i see a classic i can play it even long after the crowd have left.

Immortalizing history is our greatest reward.
Best regards Hans

Hans Witteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 01:45 PM   #95
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
All i'm going to say this was my rebuttal to SH5, and to show to the SH3 crowd what SH4 is capable of:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...06&postcount=1
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=121
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=139

Naturally, since im a Fleet boat fanboy of some renown, my words and work fell of deaf ears, and closed eyes. Regardless, feel free to use whatever you want from that rough beta build i posted. I do actually have a number of fixes in there in regard to the crew graph files. Sonarman should work properly. Vanilla he does not.

The nice thing about uboats as a modder, is you have plenty of resources already made to draw from. The work is in converting them to SH4 controllers and such, but even that is less work then doing everything from scratch.

As an aside, no, im not modding and im very much done. So take whatever you want from my work, but that's about all the help ill give. I have no silent hunter title installed, and have no intention of installing any of them.
Hi mate,

Nice to see you here.

For the moment everything is put on ice but you can rest assure that if we port it after finishing it for SH3 that we will include all due credit for any part used in HAHD.
Best regards Hans

Old 09-20-11, 01:54 PM   #96
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham85 View Post
What can I say?

My first Silent Hunter was the 3. And I was so dig in, the game was so intense, the perspective of a naval game with so much detail and history was great at the time, the perspective of a new view on the second world war games is the greatest appeal of Silent Hunter titles. And for years, even now, with all the mods and stuff that refine SH3 to may taste, I'm still have a crush to this old, and great, sea wolf.

But, let's face it: the game is dated. SH3 has got the limits, there isn't the step further because the next step is SH4.

I'll play U-boat HAHD on SH3 or 4, even 5 - if you're nuts enough for that, because 5 is eye candy, but has only type 7 and it isn't a simulator - but, in my opinion, the efforts should aim in SH4. The game has, in my understanding, a better support, more resources e more ground to further developments then SH3.
Hi mate,

Indeed Sh3 will still be a classic in my book but if we can port our work to SH4 later on we will have more room for improvement.

I would be the first surprised if anytime in the future they can modify SH5 to play like SH3, the way the game structure is made now is so different that i seriously doubt they can make it even a closer bit to SH3.

I don't understand the game studio mentality these recent years, when you have a winning formula why not simply upgrade the whole thing to the most recent graphic technology and you please your most loyal customer instead of trying to reach out all teenagers that are wasting their time on WOW.

SH3 only need recent shader technology and a couple of FX to be the unbeatable king of the hill for eon to come.

Best regards Hans

Old 09-20-11, 01:59 PM   #97
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo2 View Post
Looks like SH4 is on the backburner as of now. Hopefully they'l get around to modding this game, unfortunately it just seems like most have jumped from SH3 to 5 or just stayed on 3 and never gave 4 a chance.. Anyway i support HAHD whatever engine they take ill probably end up playing it. Hell i still have SH2 installed, might try modding that lol.. jkjk
Hi mate,

Nice to see some folks are still playing SH2!

SH5 feel so wrong that i cannot understand why some are still playing it but hey if only some nice ocean is enough to satisfy you then go for sh5.

I try it with recent mod and it simply doesn't do the magic at all maybe in 5 year from here but for now you have a more joyful experience in SH3 and 4.

Best regards Hans

Old 09-20-11, 02:01 PM   #98
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Once upon a time there was a GWX4 in the planning. First it got put aside for GWX3 (which, while for SH3 was not a new thing, but an extension of 2.1) then dropped altogether due to the impending release of SH5. Don't get your hopes up though. That team disbanded at that time and have gone their separate ways. Some of them are still working on things, mostly SH5 but a little SH4.

HAHD is our biggest hope for the future right now, but not until the SH3 version is finished.
Hi mate,

Yep you say it all we will start it after we first finish it for SH3 but the longest and hardest part of modding will be done and will only need porting to SH4.

Best regards Hans

Old 09-20-11, 02:09 PM   #99
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Witteman View Post

SH3 only need recent shader technology and a couple of FX to be the unbeatable king of the hill for eon to come.
SH4 does has some "under the hood" systemic changes in the files that are quite nice, and a vast improvement over SH3. Most of these changes pertain to campaign scripting, and is one reason SH4 loads faster then SH3, and SH5. In all practical terms, SH4 is a campaign writers wet dream when compared to SH3.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 02:16 PM   #100
brabham85
Seaman

Downloads: 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Witteman View Post
Hi mate,

Indeed Sh3 will still be a classic in my book but if we can port our work to SH4 later on we will have more room for improvement.

I would be the first surprised if anytime in the future they can modify SH5 to play like SH3, the way the game structure is made now is so different that i seriously doubt they can make it even a closer bit to SH3.

I don't understand the game studio mentality these recent years, when you have a winning formula why not simply upgrade the whole thing to the most recent graphic technology and you please your most loyal customer instead of trying to reach out all teenagers that are wasting their time on WOW.

Best regards Hans
Yeah, Hans, but, oh my, what a ocean! SH3 with that kind of graphics and a little shake in the mechanics - convoys behaviour, wolf packs and things like that - would be more than a classic, would be a ultimate title in naval simulators.
brabham85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-12, 02:49 PM   #101
jaxa
The Old Man

Downloads: 413

Kameraden, what about this project? I have read HAHD thread on SH3 forum and it sounds promising, but IMHO the better choice as a base for this mod would be SH4. Is it alive or cancelled?
jaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-12, 03:41 PM   #102
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

The HAHD Team has stated many times that the release will be for SH3.
After that they 'May' consider a SH4 release.
What you don't understand is that a PROPER conversion to SH4 involves many extra steps.
The creation of AO and the Swizzled Normal maps is just a small start.
Every aspect of the sim/val also needs adjusted.
No small feat as the early versions done for GWX 4 proved it was on a scale nearly equal to all other work ever done for SH3!
Old 01-11-12, 03:56 PM   #103
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxa View Post
Kameraden, what about this project? I have read HAHD thread on SH3 forum and it sounds promising, but IMHO the better choice as a base for this mod would be SH4. Is it alive or cancelled?
I´m a player of SH4 (American Campaign), and I like very much the sim, but, sincerely, I prefer HAHD in SH3. With the improvements in the SH3.exe made by the maesters H.sie and Stiebler, SH4 is very....old? in comparission.

HAHD will have new graphics (awesome), and with the realistic options will be a must for ATO.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-12, 09:38 AM   #104
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
The HAHD Team has stated many times that the release will be for SH3.
After that they 'May' consider a SH4 release.
What you don't understand is that a PROPER conversion to SH4 involves many extra steps.
The creation of AO and the Swizzled Normal maps is just a small start.
Every aspect of the sim/val also needs adjusted.
No small feat as the early versions done for GWX 4 proved it was on a scale nearly equal to all other work ever done for SH3!
I like this. See how it goes with 3, then possibly move
it to 4. There would be advantages, much shorter
load times being a major one.

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote