SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-18-19, 10:32 AM   #1
Babazzu
Swabbie

Downloads: 94
Uploads: 0
Default SH3 problem menu career

I hope for some kind soul to save a poor Italian who loves SH3, in the career menu the menu does not work where you change uboats, torpedoes and other improvements. Everything else works like god minus this and I don't understand why.
Any suggestions would be welcome, the game is Steam.

Sorry for my English
Babazzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-19, 03:08 AM   #2
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babazzu View Post
I hope for some kind soul to save a poor Italian who loves SH3, in the career menu the menu does not work where you change uboats, torpedoes and other improvements. Everything else works like god minus this and I don't understand why.
Any suggestions would be welcome, the game is Steam.

Sorry for my English
I hope you are in the native database of registry.
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-19, 07:36 AM   #3
Babazzu
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvar1061 View Post
I hope you are in the native database of registry.

Kiel at the beginning of his career, I am not so inexperienced in Silent Hunter having played him since his beginnings. I'm a 73.
Old 07-19-19, 08:02 AM   #4
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

Welcome to the Subsim!!

Could you please be more specific? What's the problem?

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-19, 08:32 AM   #5
Babazzu
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niume View Post
Welcome to the Subsim!!

Could you please be more specific? What's the problem?

Thank you,

The career menu, the section where you change torpedoes, hydrophones, turrets and submarines or put the emblem ... that's not working, the left button of the maus does not work. I don't understand why, I have disinstalalto and reinstalalto several times but nothing, the problem remains.
Old 07-21-19, 01:05 AM   #6
Noobicum4Ever
Torpedoman

Downloads: 36

Have you installed any mod in the meantime?

It happened to me too after the installation of GWX supermod!
Noobicum4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-19, 07:23 AM   #7
Babazzu
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobicum4Ever View Post
Have you installed any mod in the meantime?

It happened to me too after the installation of GWX supermod!

No other mod except the additional ones already present in the JSGME of GWX3.
I found the defect after installing the game taken from Steam, and it remained even after disalting and reinstating it all over again.
Old 07-21-19, 08:34 AM   #8
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439

Where is Silent Hunter 3 installed? The Steam default is "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter 3" - is that where your install is? How many other Steam games do you have?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-19, 05:08 AM   #9
Babazzu
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Where is Silent Hunter 3 installed? The Steam default is "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter 3" - is that where your install is? How many other Steam games do you have?

In the library I believe more than a hundred but I didn't count them and I know how to install the game and the mod that had always worked by god. The problem lies elsewhere, I swear it is not an elementary problem or it would already be solved.
Old 07-22-19, 02:50 PM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Babazzu!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-19, 05:37 PM   #11
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Babazzu
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-19, 10:16 PM   #12
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babazzu View Post
In the library I believe more than a hundred but I didn't count them and I know how to install the game and the mod that had always worked by god. The problem lies elsewhere, I swear it is not an elementary problem or it would already be solved.
Where is your Steam Library though? If it's in a "C:\Program Files" folder with Steam, that it the problem. You'll have to move the game's install location, as mentioned above. Steam can stay where it is. The game folder has to be changed. Sorry it's redundant, but you still didn't say where it was. Having a lot of games makes the move very tedious if you only have one hard drive. Do you have a fast external drive you could use?

The problem lies with Windows and its UAC (User Access Control), which with other "technologies" will "protect" your computer from "unauthorized" alterations in key "system" folders (sorry for all of the quote marks), of which the "Program Files" folders are such. Since neither JSGME nor Silent Hunter were written for UAC (Windows Vista and later), Windows does not "see" a JSGME activated mod as an "authorized" alteration of files in the game's folder, and Windows ~will~ change them back to their original "installed" condition. By putting the Steam Library in a folder you make, such as "C:\Games \Steam \etc.", then Windows doesn't care what happens in that folder...

Steam will do similar with a game if you "Validate" the game, no matter what folder you used. While you do need the Steam app to start the game (license authorization), you can copy and mod as much as you want and have the hard drive space for. Just make a Steam shortcut for each, and use MultiSH3 to keep each copy's Save folder separate from the others.

Old 07-24-19, 10:15 AM   #13
Babazzu
Swabbie

Quote:
Where is your Steam Library though? If it's in a "C:\Program Files" folder with Steam, that it the problem. You'll have to move the game's install location, as mentioned above. Steam can stay where it is. The game folder has to be changed. Sorry it's redundant, but you still didn't say where it was. Having a lot of games makes the move very tedious if you only have one hard drive. Do you have a fast external drive you could use?

The problem lies with Windows and its UAC (User Access Control), which with other "technologies" will "protect" your computer from "unauthorized" alterations in key "system" folders (sorry for all of the quote marks), of which the "Program Files" folders are such. Since neither JSGME nor Silent Hunter were written for UAC (Windows Vista and later), Windows does not "see" a JSGME activated mod as an "authorized" alteration of files in the game's folder, and Windows ~will~ change them back to their original "installed" condition. By putting the Steam Library in a folder you make, such as "C:\Games \Steam \etc.", then Windows doesn't care what happens in that folder...

Steam will do similar with a game if you "Validate" the game, no matter what folder you used. While you do need the Steam app to start the game (license authorization), you can copy and mod as much as you want and have the hard drive space for. Just make a Steam shortcut for each, and use MultiSH3 to keep each copy's Save folder separate from the others.

So having only one HD I should make a partition, thanks for the long answer.
I will also try this solution.
Old 07-24-19, 01:24 PM   #14
propbeanie

If you have enough room, and the software to create a partition, that is the easiest way to go (or make a new Library on an external HD), though Steam will still take a ~long~ time to run through all of the games you move. The other option is to create your own folder in the current partition and move the games yourself while NOT logged-in to the Steam app on your computer. Then when you do log-in to Steam, it will update its internal settings to your new Library folder, which ~still~ takes a long time to go through. Very painful in either case. The best source for help is the Steam Support Knowledgebase article Moving a Steam Installation and Games. Basically speaking, no matter which way you go, Steam will end up re-installing everything you move. If you have that partition and create a new Library folder, you'll only have to move what you want (SH3 or other DirectX v9.0c games) to the new Library folder. With a single drive, it ~ALL~ has to move - every last game you have has to follow to that new Library folder you create...

Old 07-28-19, 08:19 AM   #15
Babazzu
Swabbie

Quote:
If you have enough room, and the software to create a partition, that is the easiest way to go (or make a new Library on an external HD), though Steam will still take a ~long~ time to run through all of the games you move. The other option is to create your own folder in the current partition and move the games yourself while NOT logged-in to the Steam app on your computer. Then when you do log-in to Steam, it will update its internal settings to your new Library folder, which ~still~ takes a long time to go through. Very painful in either case. The best source for help is the Steam Support Knowledgebase article Moving a Steam Installation and Games. Basically speaking, no matter which way you go, Steam will end up re-installing everything you move. If you have that partition and create a new Library folder, you'll only have to move what you want (SH3 or other DirectX v9.0c games) to the new Library folder. With a single drive, it ~ALL~ has to move - every last game you have has to follow to that new Library folder you create...

Mille grazie, farò una prova per vedere se sta qui il problema.