Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-09-08, 11:41 AM   #1
Werewolf
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0
Default Problems with DWEdit

:hmm: I'm a little bit confused about the discussion about making alterations in DW so before I ask any further then I'm sorry if I touch a taboo in here...I'm new to DW and don't want to offend anyone...

Anyway...I downloaded the DWEdit feature, but I can't get it working. I bought a prefectly legitimate download from a company called digital river inc. DW vers 1.04, but DWEdit states that the registry key is not correct, I think this is the reason why I cannot make any changes. Does anyone know what to do to make it work?
Werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 01:16 PM   #2
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9

To be honest, this is the first time I heard of that company you mentioned. And since they offered it prepatched I don't know what other changes they made (the STEAM version is somewhat different and has to be patched separately for example).

Btw. did you get the right DWEdit (for DW 1.04 ... to be on the safe side either get it from subguru or the CADC).

Cheers
OS
OneShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 02:41 PM   #3
Werewolf
Sonar Guy

@OneShot

Thanks for once again coming to my assitance.

I indeed downloaded the DWEdit I have from subguru and I've just chekked it, it's for the 1.04 version alright filename is DWEdit1 7 4 1

Regarding where I bought the game...I must admit that now I'm in doubt, that name I mentioned is the name of the dialer I had to download in order to download the game....don't know if this is common procedure since it's the first time I've purchased a non boxed game...anyway, it's a prepatched game for sure since it says vers. 1.04 at start up and also is compatible with the 1.04 mods :hmm:
Old 01-13-08, 07:24 AM   #4
serpent46
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

Hello Werewolf,
at the time DWEdit was 'last' build, there were no Steam or other 'downloadable'-Distributions of Dangerous Waters available, so DWEdit doen't know about them.

If DWEdit starts, it has to know, where the installation directory of 'Dangerous Waters' is located on your hard drive.
(DWEdit uses this information f.e. to locate the <installpath>\graphics directory for displaying the 3D model graphics)

In detail, DWEdit tries to locate the <installpath> by reading the registry key
<HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sonalysts Combat Simulations\Dangerous Waters\1.0>
and looking up a String value named <rootInstallPath>.

For a 'normal', installation this would point to f.e.
<C:\\Program Files\\Dangerous Waters>

From what you describe, I assume the digital river distibution uses another registry key to store the installation path....

I suggest to try out the following workaround to get DWEdit running:

Down below you'll find a copy of 'my' Dangerous Waters registry key.
Copy the text (between <BEGIN> and <END>) to a new Textfile which you rename
f.e. DWReg.reg

Edit the paths, so that they point to the place where you have installed Dangerous Waters.

f.e.
If your <dangerouswaters.exe> is located at <C:\Program Files\Digital River Distributions\Dangerous Waters\dangerouswaters.exe>
you have to edit the <rootInstallPath> to
<C:\\Program Files\\Digital River Distributions\\Dangerous Waters>

Please note that Registry Editors Syntax requires DOUBLE backslashes where the windows path has only one!

You should edit all path fields, but if I remember correct, DWEdit will only read the <rootInstallPath>.

Save the edited file and double click it to store the information in the registry.
If you have done everything all right, DWEdit will find the newly created registry keys.
If the key is correct and DWEdit finds the
databases and graphis archives, everything should be fine and the DWReg.reg file can be deleted.

<BEGIN>
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sonalysts Combat Simulations\Dangerous Waters\1.0]
"DisplayName"="Dangerous Waters"
"Language"=dword:00000001
"LanguageName"="English"
"rootInstallPath"="D:\\Programme\\Dangerous Waters"
"cdInstallPath"="D:\\Programme\\Dangerous Waters"
"scenarioInstallPath"="D:\\Programme\\Dangerou s Waters"
"dbInstallPath"="D:\\Programme\\Dangerous Waters"
"interfaceInstallPath"="D:\\Programme\\Dangero us Waters\\Interfaces"
"graphicsInstallPath"="D:\\Programme\\Dangerou s Waters\\Graphics"
"sfxInstallPath"="D:\\Programme\\Dangerous Waters\\Audio\\Sfx\\sfx.agg+"
"musicInstallPath"="D:\\Programme\\Dangerous Waters\\Audio\\Music"
"cinematicInstallPath"="D:\\Programme\\Dangero us Waters\\Cinematic"
"aLetter"="e"
"buildNumber"=dword:00000176
<END>

Optionally:
If you have a little knowledge how the windows registry editor <regedit.exe> works, you can try to figure out, how the 'real'
registry key, which your distribution of Dangerous Waters uses, is named.
I assume it should have a similar layout than mine, but probaly the term <Sonalysts Combat Simulations> will have been changed
or preceeded by something like <Digital River>...
As a good starting point you can search the whole registry for your installation path of Dangerous waters.
If you found the 'real' key, please make a text dump from it, and post it, so I can implement it into the next build of DWEdit.

Cheers and hopes this helps,

Ludger
Author of DWEdit

Shallow men believe in luck,
Strong man believe in cause and effect.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
serpent46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-08, 12:00 PM   #5
Werewolf
Sonar Guy

@Serpent 46

Ah okay, that explains it all

Thanks very much for the help Serpent and thanks for a great tool too
Old 01-27-12, 05:35 PM   #6
Sag75
XO

Downloads: 45

Hi to all! I have the same problem, when I start DWedit I get "DW installation not found - not proper registry key" error. Anyway when I click "ok", DW editor starts and works but I can't use the J3Dviewer.

I watched into regedit but I found that my DW keys are normal. The <rootinstalpath> in the registry key matches perfectly with the DW folder organization (also the other keys). I use Vista.

Thanks!

Betasom - XI Gruppo Sommergibili Atlantici
http://www.betasom.it/forum/index.php
Sag75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-20, 08:22 PM   #7
Polak2
Weps

Downloads: 60

I need to revive this old thread and ask for help with my case of DWEdit not being able to find my installation of DW in the registry.

My registry entries for HKLM and HKCU look as on the picture and I wonder why there are those 2 entries and not just 1 and then why they are with different names. Both point to where my installation is which indeed is C:\DW\Dangerous Waters.

My DW is CD-based from Strategy First and OS is Win10. DW is working on my win10 but DWEdit tels me that program is not installed in the registry and j3d viewer has greyed out fields. Moreover, it says that cloud3.bmp and some other bmps are missing etc.

I appreciate your help on how to correct all this as the registry is not my strongest point. Thank you.

Last edited by Polak2; 06-15-20 at 09:34 PM.
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 05:47 PM   #8
Polak2
Weps

Perhaps somebody here is too using CD version of DW installation disk (not Steam or similar) . If so, could that person kindly look at the registry entry at HKCU and HCLM? That would give me better idea what is going on. Thank you.
Old 06-17-20, 01:13 PM   #9
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

I found in HKCU (only) entry for DWEdit

Old 06-17-20, 01:43 PM   #10
Polak2
Weps

Thank you as usual.

The problem is that I am looking at DW registry entries not DWEdit.

DWEdit is registry entry is fine and it is working, but it needs pointing to the right registry entry for DW. In my cd version of DW there is something wrong because DWEdit cannot find that entry on its own and I need to point it there. See post by serpent46 earlier in this thread.

Please take a look at DW registry entry (only original DW not RA in HKCU and possibly in HKLM). And thank you again.
Old 06-17-20, 02:54 PM   #11
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

I know but i think its DWEdit problem - not DW cause registry entry for DW are as in posts above. Please check PM cause i use moddified version of DWEdit. Original didn't work well - for example not all values were showed for some kind of objects.
Unfortunatelly my version has the same number like latest original one so its hard to compare it (i deleted old versions). But maybe with version from PM your registry problem will be resolved.
Old 06-17-20, 06:08 PM   #12
Polak2
Weps

Got it, thanks, but the same problem. I do not want to mess with the registry too much. No rush , at least DW is now running.
Old 06-18-20, 09:26 AM   #13
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Hmm check PM again