SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-23-18, 11:44 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Feedback from pro IT insiders on patching quality for W10: DEVASTATING

60-70% being not satisfied and totally not satisfied. It hardly can be a more drastic verdict for MS. Just 18-20% satisfied or very satisfied.

And that was BEFORE the arrival of the especially lousy bunch of patches for July.

https://www.askwoody.com/2018/patch-...atcher-survey/

Personally, I have given up on W10 and am glad that I just play some games under its rule. I shrug the shoulders when the system once again fails me due to some Windows subcomponent again bluescreening me, even the anger of having spent so much money for it meanwhile has surrendered to fatalism and apathy. One thing is certain however: this was the last Windows machine in my life that I bought last November. When this hardware dies in some years, that was it for me with Windows gaming then.

To hell with Microsoft. Customer-hostile, and by now extremely dilettantic and apparently incompetent, may it be due to lacking expertise, may it be due to stupid management: the result is what counts, and the result stinks to heaven. But always a big mouth and plenty of propaganda lies and cheating on customers. Basterds.

The great days of Windows were XP SP2+3 and even more (since being more stable): W7. That was the golden era. After that Nadalla decided to nuke it.
Old 07-23-18, 06:52 PM   #2
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

I still use my old XP machine every day, I purchased a new Windows 10 machine that has duel boot with Ubuntu Linux, I only time to time use Linux on it.
Problem is there is no drivers for the new machine to run XP or I would install that instead of Win 10, like you, I hate it!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-18, 03:20 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Susan Bradley, who has 20 years of professional experience with examining and criticising bogged Windows patches and in the English-speaking Windows support world is a very known name, sent her results to Microsoft meanwhile. Even I had already heard of her long years before Rockin Robbins linked me to Woody's blog. Windows XP days I talk of, that long she is around at least. And she is super-pro on her matter.

She now got answers that must have made her so angry that she has agreed to publish the emails. They drip with Microsoft's condescension and show that this arrogant company has completely lost any connection to customers' reality, and prefers to just spill on and on its stinking propaganda new-speak into the world.

Complete loss of sense for reality. But the condescending tone really is the crown that tops it all. Its arrogant behaviour like this that makes me want to stop talking to somebody in front of me and instead start kicking his teeth much deeper in.

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...-responds.html
Old 08-03-18, 03:44 PM   #4
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

If this is such a terrible mess the main stream news is not reporting it, why?

And if the figures of dissatisfaction is so high surly this would ring alarm bells at MS. Clearly they know they can get away with it because the general public world wide is not kicking up a stink. So what of businesses, surly it must be hitting them in the wallet. Seems to me the backlash is nothing more than a fart in a elevator.

I'm afraid to say SKY all your wrath towards MS is a wast of time until such times MS feels the heat big time but until then the Ice Age is here and they will continual on their marry way.

Care to note this is just the way it looks to me about their messy patches. As for their spying well they are not the only one on that band wagon.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-18, 04:13 PM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Note that Bradley was excluzsiuvely about the broken technology in the patches. Last month ALL their patches and patches of patches were broken.

You must see it from companies' perspective: for them,. nonö.functiuonal stations and brokmjen softwar environment translates into work not getting done, customers getting driven away, it translates directlyas and idnirectly into loss of money. Not to mention the over-hours and over-hours the IT departments and tech guys have to run in order to find workaround, pevent broken BS getting downlaode dna dn installed, tryxing to fix and repair the least wave of mess and dilletantism that Microsoft has enforced to unload on machines that are not theirs.

For small businesses that are too small to have their own IT department, the small shop kepper and service provide, the failures of Microsoft can threaten their very existence, or reduce their monthly income signficantly, and make them lose customers of which they may not have as many as if they just can shrug their shoulders and forget about it. If you enter your business office and find your IT has breoken down or you cannot communciate withg your staff or customers or printers do not print or your database got compromised or... or... or...

For you and me, its just about gaming. Entertainment. Fun with a console. There are many people who need fucntional computer hardware to earn their monthly living. Preferrable without needing to invest eight additional hours per week just for repairing Windows, cleaning the mess it left in the kitchen, and/or paying significant sums of money in the process of rreapring damage that would not be there if Microsoft would have done its homework properly. These days they do not even seem to have a beta testing team worth the name anymore.

Microsoft does what Microsoft is, no surprise therefore. I would just wish people start to draw consequences in bigger numbers. If one wants Microsoft leaving the market and software developers starting to develope for other OS in bigger quantity, this can only be achieved by REDFUCING THE DEMAND. But most people are only caring about finding excuses for not doing so. And that in the end is at the cost OF ALL.
Old 08-04-18, 03:34 AM   #6
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
But most people are only caring about finding excuses for not doing so.
You being one of them.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-18, 07:04 AM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
You being one of them.
Wrong, smarthead.

I migrated to Linux already almost three years ago. Just a few games remain under Windows. My steering wheel and pedals that I bought loast year are PC and console-compatible - in case I leave even PC gaming behind.

Even chess I have migrated to Linux, which was no real pleasure.

Everythign else but a few games - is Linux for me. Email. Browsing, surfing, shopping. Text editor. Photo editor. Database management.
Old 08-04-18, 07:19 AM   #8
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Wrong, smarthead.

I migrated to Linux already almost three years ago.
Indeed you did. You also migrated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 that you so much hate. Had you any backbone in this matter, you would have stuck with Windows 7 which you can still buy through f.e. Amazon. You also said in this thread that when your current PC dies, you're done with Windows, but again, had you any backbone and weren't such a hypocrite, you would've dropped Windows already instead of buying a whole new PC with Windows 10 on it.
Old 08-04-18, 07:33 AM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

That decision you can safely leave were it belongs - leave it to me. I have moved all really important, especially security relevant activity to a safer platform and only left some harmless entertainment on Windows, which I had no other choice if I did not already want to skip that right now. And indeed, if that is of comfort to you, I have regretted that I spend tzhis money on new hardware, because W10 corrupts the technical stability of this new hardware time and again and far more often than XP or W98 or W7 ever did. No other windows has given me as many BSOD, as W10 already has in just 9 months. Wowh. That is what they call progress.

I found the reality of W10 to be far worse than what i had read about it in the two years before.
Old 08-04-18, 09:03 AM   #10
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
That decision you can safely leave were it belongs - leave it to me.
I do. That's the point. You preach to others how they should not use Windows, yet you use it yourself because you want to play games. Again, that's hypocrisy.

As for Windows 10 and its performance, either I am lucky or you are unlucky, but I haven't had a single BSOD since I upgraded my Win7 to 10 back in December. In fact, the automatic maintenance feature of Win10 fixed the problems my Win7 had started to suffer from (I did a straight Win7->10 upgrade, no reformat).

If I was a betting man, I'd say it's (again) down to user error. Wouldn't be the first time with you.
Old 08-04-18, 11:24 AM   #11
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

My Win10.

If I remove the fact that I mostly get these BSOD(Is that Blue Screen Of Death ?) after an Update from MS
and the same if I by mistake install a game in the Program Files(x86)

Then I have no problem with it.

I had huge problem when I got this Win10 Creator upgrade.

But now the computer runs alright.

On the sidemark, I'm a novice user of Win10.

I have though, decide the next time I get a notice from MS I will postpone the updates/upgrades and wait some month.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-18, 11:33 AM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

The point is that mere playing some games does not stop me from trying to make people stop using Microsoft for just everything, knowing that in that case and Microsoft giving up on Windows the gaming under Windows would come to an end for me as wellin the foillowing aftermath of time. Many endless apologists who defend Microsoft and do their best to excuse Microsoft's lack of quality however make certain that this will never happen, and that the widespread dependency on Windows will continue and so Microsoft must not listne to customers. Equivalents of you exist in companies and on corporate level as well, plus the strong lobby Microsoft maintains in politics to make sure its stuff get used in public administrations for hefty yearly license fees costing the tax payer billions every year - for inferior quality and security - and even when the superiority of for example Linux has been proven by years of using alternative OS, like for example in Paris or Munich to name just two big cities. And so deveklopers have almost no other chance than to continue developing for Windows instead of Linux, and the dpeendency of future softweare oin Windows is the excuse then why not to give up on Wndows and migrate to Chrome, Apple or Linux. And mind you: in other hardware departments, Windows de facto has already been left behind. Mobiles are Anbdroid (Linux) land, servers for the most run under Linux as well worldwide. Just the PC market still gets suffocated by the depen dency on Windows.

What is the hypocrisy here: me just using it as long as it still is there, for things that are in the end just meaningless and unimportant, unsensibile regarding security and privacy and - documented and shared by others as well - technical instability issues, or people like you showing Microsoft that they must not care for better quality at all not just for gaming platforms, but seirous business platforms as adminstrativ enetworks and global office work?

And then telling me that I should not complain about Microsoft seriously reducing the performance value that I get in return for the financial investment I made? Are you a sales psychologist not caring for right and wrong who advises companies on how to get away with lousy product quality and deflect customers' justified criticism and complaints? The only focus on how to get away with it?

You can do yourself like you want, but when I see the return value of money I paid for broken stuff being sewriously degraded by the pruducer, I complain about it and warn of this company. You just ignore it and endlessly defend it. And by that make sure that they get away with it and see their customer-mocking policy working fine.

The hypocrisy is on your side. And fools like you who just swallow the BS Microsoft gives them, tell Microsoft that they must not do any better at all. Because there are so many fools accepting to not get better value.

Heck, the auto-repair site by Microsoft I have recommended to try out several months ago myself, you must not tell me. if things would be so perfect and simple like in your ideal corner of it, then things like the patching mess with Spectre 1+2 and Meltdown (both the lacking aiming in it and the lacking efficiency of it, while having hit performance of not all bnut quiote some new systems), the intel Microcode "updates" degrading quite some new system'S performance, and the general total lack of patch reliability in Micorsoft hurried-out untested stuff by Microsoft would not exist, Smarty. In the end you are just after trying to land cheap shots at me, like on other opportunities before. Do you even have any understanding about that practically every patch for W7, W8 and W10 last month once again was porked and faulty, once again driving IT departments into loads and loads of over-time hours? And the mess for the kost still is not fixed. And itds a mmess implemented by Microsoft patches. Malware-Patches that Microsoft still enforces on users - amnd dares to call a "service". But we shall not complaim about it? Business and companies should not as well?

And I do not even mention that the whole feature list and general design of Windows 10 is at least dubiou,s and highly questionable. I just aim at the de facto non-existing techncial reliability of it, and the patches meant to "fix" it. With every new branch of Windows 10, more and more useless, complicating, unwanted gimmicks must be left activated to not mess W10 stability up even further. That may not be of interest for unknowing and not caring private household owners. For business environments, that is somethign VERy diufferent and a thing of much bigger priority. Windows 10 is not just done badly, it also is bad by design, wanting to be evertyhing in one, and then much more. And that is what has shot oit down. W8 already was the preface to this, announcing the horror of the mess to come.

Dummkopf. Too bad I am no businessman myself, i could sell you just anything: broken, worthless stuff, and you never would hold me responsible for it and attack others who do. Customers like you are just the best. Even if I cause you damage, you would just accept it, not holding me liable. Would be paradise for me.
Old 08-04-18, 11:43 AM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post

I have though, decide the next time I get a notice from MS I will postpone the updates/upgrades and wait some month.

Markus
That can be easier said than done. Beware. Even more so since microsoft has demonstrated repeatedly in the past three years that they can change terminology just so to make people surrender by choosing the option they read and understand to be what they want - while in fact Microsoft has packed into it what they want not. Remember the "cancel" versus "accept" icon-exchnage that they released over two years ago to make people accept that their W7 machines get upgraded to W10 where in fact they did not want it? Or did you notice how the terminology in W10 options for "selected audiencer" and "general public audience" have been chnaged repeatedly ove rthe past 18 months to make people signing in to early downloading new Windows versions where people in fatc wanted to delayx them as long as possible? That are no accidents, that is intentional. A game they play, its called: Trap they customer.

They will often innocently apologize afterwards, however, if that is of any comfort to you. And then they do it again. You can enjoy and appreciate their warmhearted excuses repeatedly, therefore.

Even the definition of your internet connection as a metered connection has not been safe for everybody to prevent new full builds getting installed against their will. Happened to quite some people with the shift form version 1709 to 1803. If you are unlucky, you get it anyway, no matter what your options are set up like. Options are only accepted by Microsoft if they do not hinder their wanted policies. And their policies are that everybody must participate in the enforced general public beta testing program. They seem to run no internal beta test program anymore. Since years. And it shows. Very badly in January this year, and again, worse, last July. I do not know when was the last time that they had not messed up the majority of their monthly patches. For July, there have been five waves of patches for the patches for the patches for the patches for the July patches, most not even documented. Some patches just were deleted, that good they were. Not just in W10, but in W7 and W8 as well. Thats more than once per week.

Swallow it! And do not complain. That would make you a bad boy and a hypocrite, according to Dowly.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-04-18 at 11:52 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-18, 08:14 AM   #14
Dowly
Lucky Jack

@Skybird: I see we are at the point in our chat where you start making **** up and put words in my mouth. It's simple:

1) You preach about Windows 10 and encourage people not to use it.
2) You use it.
3) You are a hypocrite.

The less significant things you use your Windows 10 PC to do, the worse it is since that just shows how little you value your principles.
Old 08-05-18, 05:03 PM   #15
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 337

Ladies !