SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-08-15, 04:56 AM   #1
Mr Lemmy
Swabbie

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default 688 "Strait To Hell" mission won't end

Firstly I've been returning to 688 after almost a decade. I bought Naval Combat Pack in 2007, played it for a while (and enjoying it greatly!) then sold it on ebay. I guess nostalgia for past games made me buy it again on ebay.

However I've got a problem with the Strait To Hell mission. I've sunk both kilos about a dozen times now, yet the mission overview tells me that I've only sunk one. I *know* that I've sunk both of them- because I've cheated a bit with the 3D view! I've seen my torpedoes home in on both Kilos, seen them both sink, yet the mission still tells me that I've only sunk one!

The end result is that I can't get past this mission. It's frustrating. It's a very hard mission, with lots of angry helos to evade, yet every time my 2 hours playing this mission , and thinking I'm succeeding, is coming to nothing.

I can't remember if I got past this mission before. Is this a bug in the mission? I've even tried editing this mission to get rid of the critical goals criteria, but I can't.

So, I'm stuck. Any suggestions?
Mr Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-15, 06:11 AM   #2
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

The built in mission editor for 688i is actually limited compared to its successors. I haven't played that mission in forever, so I opened it up in the Sardine editor.

Are you getting the intel message that the second Kilo is around before you sink it?

I remember 688I being kind of funny about taking tasks out of order. This might be the reason you are not getting credit; you are killing the second sub before you are supposed to.

I have some other suspicions as to what may be causing the problem, but I have no way of verifying them. I suspect that the issue is sequence breaking. It would take me a while to work the campaigns to unlock that mission to test it out, as I do not have a save in 688I available.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-15, 06:21 AM   #3
Mr Lemmy
Swabbie

Okay, I'll try that, thanks

Personally I have a soft spot for 688, over Sub Command. Nostalgia for older games, plus the fact that key response is quicker in 688. Plus it's funny hearing your boss chew you out!
Old 12-08-15, 07:29 AM   #4
Mr Lemmy
Swabbie

I tried it again but no luck. I kept in radio contact with the surface frequently, so I didn't sink Kilo# 2 before I was supposed to. I even cheated with "Show all objects in entity view" and I saw both Kilos dead on the sea floor. Yet when I transmit mission report, it says I've only sunk one. I'm at a loss now...
Old 12-08-15, 11:12 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back

Mr Lemmy! AFTER AN EIGHT YEAR SILENT RUN...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-15, 01:02 PM   #6
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lemmy View Post
I tried it again but no luck. I kept in radio contact with the surface frequently, so I didn't sink Kilo# 2 before I was supposed to. I even cheated with "Show all objects in entity view" and I saw both Kilos dead on the sea floor. Yet when I transmit mission report, it says I've only sunk one. I'm at a loss now...
Silly question; Did either of those rabid Helixes torpedo the Kilos by mistake?

It really should not matter as the game is not THAT picky about who gets the kill, but it is the only other thing I can think of.

In the absence of that, all I can assume is that the mission file is corrupted or bugged in a way that is not easy to find. I googled to see if it is a known issue and found nothing. My only other recourse is to back up your saves, uninstall and reinstall the game and see if it happens again after restoring your saved game.

Maybe some of the other members of the Old Gang have encountered this before. I will also check the Subsim Archives to see if there is an old thread on this.

EDIT: I checked the archives and found nothing. I can only assume that it is a bug on your machine.

Last edited by Hinrich Schwab; 12-08-15 at 01:08 PM.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-19, 02:03 PM   #7
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinrich Schwab View Post
Silly question; Did either of those rabid Helixes torpedo the Kilos by mistake?
i realize this is an old post however Mr Hinrich has hit upon the correct answer with his question.
this situation happens to me from time to time. if you are concerned about a perfect score then you should end the game early and re-play it from the beginning. if you want to successfully complete the mission and move on, then do just that. i havent played in quite a while however i believe that if you kill at least one Kilo and discover all of the mines, you should be allowed to continue.
good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote