SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-21-05, 10:53 AM   #1
AntonKantov
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Inter-mod compatibility?

Well, I was about to start some modding... and then I thought, "Hell, any modification to the databases will override other guys' mods or will be overridden by them". So prior to beginning, I'd like to ask the community if there's an "accepted common mods set" to work upon (like LuftWolf and Amizaur's Weapons and Sensors Realism Mod v2.01, for instance), or should I work on the basic DW 1.01 database?

Greetings from Spain,
\"Here, in this game, the most committed wins\"
Sharon Bridger a.k.a. Elise Kraft, The Siege, 1998
AntonKantov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-05, 03:57 PM   #2
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

Well, the LWAMI Mod is still very new, so there has been no consensus reached thus far as to whether future mods should work off of our Database or the stock DB.

Of course, we welcome anyone to come and take a look at what we've done, however, please consult us if you plan on making minor variations and releasing it as a stand alone work, as we may incorporate it into our project with full credit to you or present your changes as a fully supported alternative.

The short answer would be to say, modify off of the stock DB to be sure, but I honestly believe that the old DB is so ineffective that suggesting to anyone to do that is, to me, suggesting that they throw away their efforts, so I'm not saying only modify stock version.

So you know, the "standard" mod for Dangerous Water is supposed to be/will still be perhaps the Dangerous Waters eXtreme (DWX) mod project, which will incorporate many changes made from SC to SCX, however the status of DWX is on hold until the official v1.02 version of the game comes out, and I'd imagine at that point, all mods could be done off of the DWX project with their permission.

So the same with the LWAMI Mod for DW stock version 1.01, if you'd like to add something to our work, let us know, and we will work with you if you'd like in adding the contribution to our mod.

PM me if you'd like to talk about specific ideas for changes. It may help you if you thoroughly read through our readme and use the mod yourself for a time, so you know exactly what we have done and what still has yet to be accomplished.

Cheers,
David
Old 09-22-05, 03:37 AM   #3
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuftWolf
Well, the LWAMI Mod is still very new, so there has been no consensus reached thus far as to whether future mods should work off of our Database or the stock DB.

Of course, we welcome anyone to come and take a look at what we've done, however, please consult us if you plan on making minor variations and releasing it as a stand alone work, as we may incorporate it into our project with full credit to you or present your changes as a fully supported alternative.

The short answer would be to say, modify off of the stock DB to be sure, but I honestly believe that the old DB is so ineffective that suggesting to anyone to do that is, to me, suggesting that they throw away their efforts, so I'm not saying only modify stock version.

So you know, the "standard" mod for Dangerous Water is supposed to be/will still be perhaps the Dangerous Waters eXtreme (DWX) mod project, which will incorporate many changes made from SC to SCX, however the status of DWX is on hold until the official v1.02 version of the game comes out, and I'd imagine at that point, all mods could be done off of the DWX project with their permission.

So the same with the LWAMI Mod for DW stock version 1.01, if you'd like to add something to our work, let us know, and we will work with you if you'd like in adding the contribution to our mod.

PM me if you'd like to talk about specific ideas for changes. It may help you if you thoroughly read through our readme and use the mod yourself for a time, so you know exactly what we have done and what still has yet to be accomplished.

Cheers,
David
Hmm as someone who worked on SCX working off of someones mod is only asking for trouble, authorised or not.

Best to work from the stock vanilla database as you run into all sorts of issues modding off of a mod such as people claiming your work for their own.

I know for a fact that once Thomas gets DWX started he won't allow anyone to mod off of the DWX mod for the simple fact that you can't tell if someone is nicking your data and claiming it as theirs.

We had a similar issue with SCX at one point with some people intending to use the SCX data but in no way reference SCX and Thomas as the baseline major contributing bit to their mod.

So keep it simple and either A) Make your own mod from scratch or B) Join a mod team and make contributions that way. Due to the nature of the database I suggest you only have one person who makes alterations instead of people sending in dbases, that way you don't get confusion as to who has what. In SCX we knew Thomas always had the latest dbase mods and no-one else.
Old 09-22-05, 03:44 AM   #4
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

What are you working on Anton? I've just started adding various navies to the DB, but if you're working on that I'll let you take care of it. Very tedious stuff.
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-05, 02:21 PM   #5
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

What Xabba said.