Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 04-29-12, 05:08 AM   #16
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
I only played the game for a couple of hours and shelved it because I found the physics to be lacking (and some other issues). I don't know anymore what it was exactly but something was very wrong with the physics ( I think slipping didn't slow the plane down or something like that and some other stuff that I found wrong).
Did you run the latest mod-patch by A2A?

Some people indeed tend to think the physics are porked a bit, but that simply is that the responsiveness of the plane when at high speeds gets reduced, and far more noticably than IL-2. That'S why in steep dives the stick makes less and lesser effect, it simulates that the pilot needs more and more muscle power to barely move the stick due to the wind hitting the control panels - plus that the plane reacts less and lesser if speed builds up. Same for rudders - with growing speed these planes should be able less and lesser to slip.

IL-2 does not produce this, even at 500 km/h I could slip and get too much reaction from stick input. In BoB2, speed management is a question of survival. Get too fast, and you can get yourself locked in a dive, almost, not to mention that you cannot aim if you cannot align the plane.

It'S difficult, and even can be frustrating if one is new.
Old 04-29-12, 07:05 AM   #17
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Did you run the latest mod-patch by A2A?

Some people indeed tend to think the physics are porked a bit, but that simply is that the responsiveness of the plane when at high speeds gets reduced, and far more noticably than IL-2. That'S why in steep dives the stick makes less and lesser effect, it simulates that the pilot needs more and more muscle power to barely move the stick due to the wind hitting the control panels - plus that the plane reacts less and lesser if speed builds up. Same for rudders - with growing speed these planes should be able less and lesser to slip.
I believe I had the latest patch (about half a year ago) and having been a glider pilot in RL I'm fully aware of the heavier stick forces at higher speeds.
Doesn't change the fact that I could force the plane into a slip without losing speed or lift.

Quote:
IL-2 does not produce this, even at 500 km/h I could slip and get too much reaction from stick input.
That's not correct, IL2 does in fact reproduce this. Try a steep dive with a P38 or Me 110 and try to pull out of it. Good luck. You are right though that some of the fighters are still a bit too responsive at high speeds.
Old 04-29-12, 07:08 AM   #18
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
Will 1946 run on windows 98? Because my flight stick won't install and calibrate correctly. I'll have to keep playing on my 98 desktop in the cold room until I get a new flight stick. I don't want to pay for a new one yet.
First, sorry for hijacking your thread in the previous posts.
Second, If you computer has the power to run it it should run well under Win98. The game is more than 10years old after all. I have never tried it myself though.
Old 05-05-12, 03:55 PM   #19
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

I would really enjoy 1946 if I get around to ordering it. I do all my simulation shopping online. Pacific Fighters sounds great. Any thoughts on that game?
Old 05-05-12, 04:22 PM   #20
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Pacific Fighters is part of IL2 1946.

1946 is basically a collection of everything IL2.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-12, 02:28 PM   #21
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Awesome. I'm adding 1946 to my "Order" list