Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-27-19, 07:17 AM   #1
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4
Default Recharging batteries

What's the fastest way to recharge batteries once they are down to about 50%? Going to surface and shut down all engines?
Will the recharge speed be dependant on how many engines are active, e.g. would it be faster if you go at slow speed rather than at standard speed? And only little recharge at full speed and no recharge at flank speed?

Thanks,
XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-19, 12:07 PM   #2
AP514
Gunner

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
What's the fastest way to recharge batteries once they are down to about 50%? Going to surface and shut down all engines?
Will the recharge speed be dependant on how many engines are active, e.g. would it be faster if you go at slow speed rather than at standard speed? And only little recharge at full speed and no recharge at flank speed?
XS
That is a good question..wondering that my self.
I was thinking the batteries would tend to get HOT at higher speeds due to the more Voltage being feed to them...
I personally recharge on speed 2, sometimes 3...just because the boat speed is reduced might as well save the Gas for when I can make good speeds.
AP514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-19, 01:35 PM   #3
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

In reality, slower speeds were better for a stronger charge.

In TWoS, If my battery is that low, I would shut down a diesel and then charge at slow speed.

Never stop moving forward! Even if you are moving at 2knots... keep moving!

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-19, 08:59 PM   #4
AP514
Gunner

Downloads: 6

hum how do you shut 1 engine down ?
AP514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-19, 05:07 AM   #5
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP514 View Post

You cannot do that directly, but you can set a specific speed, e.g. 8 knots, 9 etc. , and depending on the speed you set only x engines will be active (I imagine, I don't know), but you don't see this in the game, and the dials are not that precise, at some point my SH3 speed dial will change from full speed to medium speed if I set below 9 knots, if I then click on the dial it changes to show me the needle at the real speed. With SH5 dials you can do simmilar clicks to set the exact speed.
Underwater, the speed dials are incorrect, a side-effect of a sub-mod of TWoS according to the doc. If you klick Medium speed, the dial (and the sub?) will go at low speed etc. I think this is fixed somehow since 2.2.10 or before.

Also there is a fuel-optimal speed key command (SHIFT-M I think), I never tried this one, I usually patrol at 9 knots for best fuel consumption.

Thank you all very much for your inputs and advices!

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-29-19 at 05:24 AM.
Old 05-29-19, 07:57 AM   #6
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP514 View Post
I think if you shut down one propeller, only one engine will run.
In TWOS you can shut down right/left propeller using the little round buttons down the telegraph bar
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-19, 08:49 AM   #7
Major Sunscreen
Swabbie

Downloads: 28

I believe that is correct although the sim doesn't model the shutting down of one diesel visually from what Ive seen in game. With TWOS mod speaking to the Chief will give an option of using all available power for speed (from memory).

The following is quite an interesting read on the subject and the relevant section Ive copied and pasted just below although the pictures it refers to youll have to see in the article:
https://uboat.net/articles/id/54

Charging of submarine batteries:
The submarine batteries must be charged from a source of DC (direct current). Voltage of the DC source must be higher than voltage of the batteries. Terminals of the source and the battery must be connected on the following way: "plus" with "plus" and "minus" with "minus". The charging of the submarine batteries must be as fast as possible. It depends about the cell technology and about the method of charging. The most efficacious method is "UI-method". The method begins with high electric currents, until to cell voltage of 2.4 V, i.e. up to beginning of gas. After that the charging continues with constant voltage and reduction of the electric current. A battery is full charged when the battery voltage and the electrolyte density are constant for a longer period.
The DC source is (the most often) a DC electric machine. The same DC electric machine works as a DC generator and as a DC electric machine for submarine propulsion. The DC electric machines/generators and additional apparatus for the battery charging are located outside of the battery room. When the submarine is surfaced the electric machine is powered by a diesel engine and works as a DC generator and produces DC current for the batteries charging.
Picture 1 shows situation when a submarine is surfaced. DC generators/electric machines (EM/G) are powered by diesel engines (DE). One part of produced electric power from the DC generators/electric machines is used for propulsion of the submarine propellers (P) and the rest of produced DC electric power is used for battery (B) charging. In this situation the diesel engines are full loaded. When the submarine's speed is faster the time of the battery charging is longer, because fast speed needs more electric power. Opposite, when the submarine's speed is slower the time for the battery charging is shorter. In that case, slower speed needs a smaller part of the electric power and the bigger part of the electric power remains for the battery charging.

When the submarine is under surface the diesel engine cannot operate (except in some cases). Then the DC electric machine (powered from the batteries) works as the submarine propulsion engine.
Picture 2 shows situation when a submarine is under surface. The submarine's diesel engines (DE) are out of work. DC electric machines (EM) are powered from the submarine's battery (B). In this case the DC machine/generator works just as DC electric machine, because there is no any production of the DC electric power.
Old 05-29-19, 01:23 PM   #8
bstanko6
Admiral

If you guys are using TWoS then click my signature below. I made a video on how to shut down the engines properly!

DISCORD
Old 05-29-19, 02:17 PM   #9
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
If you guys are using TWoS then click my signature below. I made a video on how to shut down the engines properly!
Really nice set of videos bstanko6! Thanks!
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-19, 02:36 PM   #10
bstanko6
Admiral

Thanks! I thank you for the awesome megamod. Making vids for SH5 TWoS is an absolute passion.

DISCORD
Old 06-22-19, 01:12 PM   #11
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

I'd like to add some new infos here about recharging batteries.

The recharging technique used in SH5 (and other SH series probably) is not related to your sub speed. Your Engineer will decouple a diesel engine from the propeller and run it full speed to recharge the battery, this is true wether you run at full speed or wether you stand still on surface. The recharging speed should be the same in all cases, although you will have reduced sub speed when chosing speed sets with the dials, but that's of no importance because you can set a specific speed, with a VIIa/VIIc you can run 14 knots while batteries are recharging, not more I think.

You give the order to recharge batteries by selecting the Engineer icon (first from the left), chose Propulsion and click the battery icon, this will start to blink, it takes a couple of minutes for the crew to decouple the propeller and initiate the recharging procedure. This happens automatically when your sub returns to surface, but it's necessary to give that order in the case you want full propulsion for your sub and then return in battery recharging mode.

It's important that you don't go in high TC until you read 'Batteries recharging' in the message box and also hear the voice message, otherwise the battery will NOT recharge during high TC.

A nuisance is that if you are at decks awash depth, the battery recharge order in the propulsion menu will not work (at least in my modlist, TWoS I don't know) and giving that order directly to the engineer NPC will cause that he will return to standard propulsion soon after, so you need to be fully on surface for recharging batteries. Also I still don't know if recharging is possible when running with the Snorkel deployed at 7 knots (max speed with Snorkel), probably not.

So the only 2 things to remember are: To recharge batteries, be fully on surface and be aware that your max. speed will be 14 knots.

I hope this helps!
XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 06-22-19 at 01:39 PM.