SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-03-16, 08:09 PM   #1
edwardallen
Helmsman

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0
Default ai lookouts

How long can you leave the scope up before one of those superhuman
scouts see it.
edwardallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-16, 07:06 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardallen View Post
How long can you leave the scope up before one of those superhuman
scouts see it.
That depends. I'd think 30 seconds is pretty safe. Except in Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition.....
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-16, 10:17 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

distance matters also, like in FotRS Ultimate, don't do any after about 9200...

I don't know what Stock UBM would be though... Probably about half of that. maybe... ??

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-16, 02:02 PM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

By the way, the [REL] prefix means you are RELeasing a mod. You're asking for information so the [REL] is inappropriate.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-18, 06:40 AM   #5
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167
Default Use of all the Acronyms

Hey Guys - I'm not totally immersed like some of you so forgive me for not knowing what ya'll are talking about with all the use of Acronyms. At least give us a list of what they all mean. It may well exist and I just can't find it. Like I said, I'm not totally immersed but can settle down with a laptop at 10pm and end up playing until 2am! I enjoy the game and lose my sense of time when I become Captain America.

That's my 1st comment, 2nd, I don't care to play on the German side so I don't want the mods that add the U Boat to SH4. But it looks like the mods I can figure out, are all related toward adding the U Boats and the Atlantic war zone.

Are there any mods that improve game play for those wishing to improve SH4 for the U.S. boats? Things like sonar and radar improvement (I'd like to be able to make a full Sonar attack without all the calculations. I'd like to see a Sonar system that identifies range and direction so I can approach without using my periscope. I used to do it with the original Silent Service II course it's been a long time since I played it so my memory may be failing me.

Lastly (I think), I have 2 CDs of SH4 as well as the Steam version. Is it safe to assume the Steam Version is the most up-to-date version? I haven't figured out how to check the version #'s for my CDs and I'm wondering if the Steam version is a direct equivalent to the CD version numbering system?

One more thing, (maybe more) are there any mods that allow the laying of mines? From what I've read and seen, the US Submarine service used mined extensively to funnel convoys toward traps and to deny them some areas. I know it would lower the amount of torps we could store but if an option if may be helpful to some of us.

OK, last thing for sure, it seems every convoy I come across has 4 or 5 DD's or DE's that circle the convoy making like very difficult for us poor sub captains. What's the best tactic to deal with these kinds of DD/DE tactics?
Ok, no more... (for now). ;-)

Thanks gang,
LarryT
l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-18, 11:55 PM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

FotRSU = Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate, a mod for SH4
UBM = U-Boat Missions

Silent Hunter (4): Wolves of the Pacific came out in early 2007, at like v1.01. It was originally based on US Fleetboats only. Having been rushed to the market, like 99.99% of 'modern' software is, 'updates' came fast & furious. Then, with the release of v1.5, they charged money, but added the U-Boat Missions, operating out of Penang, Malaysia. The Fleetboats are still the main show. Like other aspects of the game, the U-Boat Missions seem to be an incomplete addition to the game, so there have been a few mods focusing on the U-Boats, such as the Operation Monsun family of mods. However, the majority of the mods made for SH4 are for the US Fleetboat side, and most of those have been for v1.5. You can find some mods for v1.4, but they are few and far between, comparitively. Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate is a good example of a current mod for SH4 v1.5 (U-Boat Missions), as is Bleiente's Ralles RealModPack for TMO_RSRDC_OTC, which is his 'mix' of Trigger Maru Overhauled (TMO), with the Run Silent Run Deep Campaign (RSRDC), and Optical Targeting Correction (OTC) ~lots~ more acronyms!

Even though you won't want to drive a U-Boat, you do want the version of Silent Hunter 4 that has them in it, because that is the one with the 'latest upate' (now 10 years old ). It is now referred to as the "Gold Edition", but any of the previous versions with the U-Boat Missions Add-On is the same version 1.5 - whether Steam or otherwise. The Steam version does add some complications to modding, but it does work fine - but not anymore 'recent' in update status than any other media version ~Except~ if you bought the regular Silent Hunter from them, it is version 1.3, and it will not update to v1.4.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-18, 10:22 AM   #7
Aoogahman
Seaman

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabiz View Post
The wolf returns:

Many thanks from a newbie who has been digging around trying to find out if my newly installed SH4 Gold Edition (1.5) is reasonably up to date. Looks like it is, so I'll just get back to climbing the learning curve with a happy heart. Thanks again.
Aoogahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-18, 10:26 AM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Aoogahman!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote