SUBSIM Radio Room Forums



SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2021, 03:53 PM   #1
Markus Witt
Helmsman
 
Markus Witt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: AN8563
Posts: 108
Downloads: 280
Uploads: 0
Default Unescorted large convoys

Are unescorted large convoys common in TWOS? I know that unescorted small convoys exist in TWOS, but I had never seen an unescorted large convoy.
Until now that is, in my current patrol in June 1941 I came across a large convoy (about 45 ships) in grid BE31 completely unescorted. Seems odd to me to have a convoy that size unescorted in that location in that part of the war.

Has anybody else encountered unescorted large convoys in TWOS, or is something weird going on?
Markus Witt is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:02 AM   #2
kapuhy
Mechanic
 
kapuhy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Poland
Posts: 629
Downloads: 61
Uploads: 2


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Witt View Post
Are unescorted large convoys common in TWOS? I know that unescorted small convoys exist in TWOS, but I had never seen an unescorted large convoy.
Until now that is, in my current patrol in June 1941 I came across a large convoy (about 45 ships) in grid BE31 completely unescorted. Seems odd to me to have a convoy that size unescorted in that location in that part of the war.

Has anybody else encountered unescorted large convoys in TWOS, or is something weird going on?
Seems odd for sure. If you post exact date, position and what campaign are you currently playing, I could check mission editor to see what type of convoy could be there at this time and see its contents in campaign group definition.

Off the top of my head, perhaps all escorts have smaller than 100% spawn chance in this group type which in rare cases would result in complete lack of escort.
kapuhy is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:38 AM   #3
Markus Witt
Helmsman
 
Markus Witt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: AN8563
Posts: 108
Downloads: 280
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
If you post exact date, position and what campaign are you currently playing, I could check mission editor to see what type of convoy could be there at this time and see its contents in campaign group definition.
I received the contact report 17 June 1941 at 15:15 UTC. Convoy was in PQ AM7817 (51-41N 014-23W), reported course SSW and speed slow. Course was later determined at 190 and speed at 6.5 knots. Campaign is Eastern Approaches.
I intercepted this convoy in PQ BE 3160 and later again in BE 3460. Second time was during daytime and I could confirm positively that there were no escorts. Convoy consisted of 9 columns of each at least 5 ships, so at least 45 hips total. Biggest convoy I have encountered I believe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41060118a.jpg (63.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 41060119e.jpg (38.9 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Markus Witt; 06-08-2021 at 02:46 AM.
Markus Witt is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:44 AM   #4
kapuhy
Mechanic
 
kapuhy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Poland
Posts: 629
Downloads: 61
Uploads: 2


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Witt View Post
I received the contact report 17 June 1941 at 15:15 UTC. Convoy was in PQ AM7817 (51-41N 014-23W), reported course SSW and speed slow. Course was later determined at 190 and speed at 6.5 knots.
I intercepted this convoy in PQ BE 3160 and later again in BE 3460. Second time was during daytime and I could confirm positively that there were no escorts. Convoy consisted of 9 columns of each at least 5 ships, so at least 45 ships total. Biggest convoy I have encountered I believe.
Thanks, I'll check it out in the evening.
kapuhy is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:34 AM   #5
kapuhy
Mechanic
 
kapuhy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Poland
Posts: 629
Downloads: 61
Uploads: 2


Default

Found it. The convoy in question was OG (Outbound Gibraltar) convoy. Spoiler alert:

 
In Western Approaches campaign files, it is assigned up to seven escorts, with 50% probability of spawn for first group (up to 5) and 20% probability of spawn for second group (up to 2) of escort ships. This means there is 40% probability this convoy will spawn with no escorts at all.


Since, to my knowledge, these convoys were heavily guarded, I would recommend to vdr1981 increasing escorts for this group type. In fact, just checked and there was equivalent historical convoy (OG 63, sailing in late May-early June 1941) that had 9 escorts assigned with 6 more joining in after it was attacked by U-Boats (EDIT: scratch that last sentence, more escorts actually joined before the attack).

Last edited by kapuhy; 06-08-2021 at 12:48 PM.
kapuhy is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:23 PM   #6
Markus Witt
Helmsman
 
Markus Witt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: AN8563
Posts: 108
Downloads: 280
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Found it.
Thanks! Well I'm glad it is not a corrupt save at least. I liked the size of this convoy, quite impressive to see, but no escorts made attacking it way too easy. I guess I will load an old save and continue from there.
Markus Witt is online   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2021 Subsim®
"Subsim" is a registered trademark, all rights reserved.